Refund? I don't think so...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

culanoff

Refund? I don't think so...

Post by culanoff » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

So after several years of being a member of Taxi (for country music) and having everything I sent in for a full year returned, I decided that enough was enough. I have about 6 months left on my membership so I wrote asking for a refund of the remainder of the membership fee from now until July. This is the response I got:

"TAXI offers a full one year guarantee of satisfaction. Your first year of membership was in 3/27/06 - 3/27/07 and the membership was subsequently renewed twice. Your request does not fall within the guidelines of the One-Year Money Back Guarantee. A copy of the guarantee is included for your reference.

I'm sorry I am unable to grant your request for a refund.

Kind regards,"
(name and title withheld by me to not take this over the top)

For as long as this post stays up, for anyone who gave TAXI the benefit of the doubt and renewed their membership, you will not be entitled to a refund specifically because you gave TAXI the benefit of the doubt. Nice. Very nice.

Bye bye, folks.

Claire

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Refund? I don't think so...

Post by crs7string » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Claire,

TAXI's response is exactly the one I would expect. The logic that you should be able to quit anytime you want and get a refund makes absolutely no business sense from TAXI's perspective.

If I went to a restaurant and had a bad meal and the management "comped" my meal would I expect the same treatment on my second visit. Of course not, I most likely would not go back to the restaurant.

If I did return for a second visit it would be at my own "risk". I already knew that the restaurant was not a fit for me. (ie. I didn't like the service or the food)

You've returned to the TAXI "restaurant" several times knowing it was an "iffy" proposition for country writers.

I appreciate how hard the country writers have it with TAXI, but I agree with their policy and response to your request.

Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Claire,

I'm surprised you would interpret "money back guarantee" as "I can quit any time I like, even after years of membership, and get the "unused portion" of my current membership fee refunded".

Anytime I've encountered money back guarantees they have worked the way Taxi's does...basically as a "risk free trial".
Once you decide you like a service enough to renew, the "honeymoon is over", so to speak, and the money back guarantee no longer applies.

Sorry for your disappointment...

matto

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Really, three and half years in and you want a refund? Seems like a bit much to hope for.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am

culanoff wrote:
Bye bye, folks.

Claire
Bye Bye
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 am

Michael and Taxi do not deserve this kind of "slap in the face" Clair, this is not a school yard. The details where clearly defined in the original agreement, they showed you that in a polite and timely fashion and you post this publically? I promise you won't have to worry about working with any industry professionals who frequents this board.

"The problem with the music industry? It's filled with musicians..." WTA
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 am

wta wrote:Michael and Taxi do not deserve this kind of "slap in the face" Clair, this is not a school yard.
Yes, that's right!

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 am

Three years as a member and "now" you want you're money back! Dude, if Taxi was to do that for everyone they'd be a "donation distribution center" instead of a business. :?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 am

wta wrote:"The problem with the music industry? It's filled with musicians..." WTA
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yesterday I felt like leading a one-man revolt against a production company that sometimes jerks around the musician/composers in a way like we have nothing else to do but sit and wait for them to say "Jump!". I've been doing stuff for them for several years so whatever I experience as I voluntarily enter into new projects, I know ahead of time what I might expect. I also know that I might expect some great placements (which I've received).

On a recent project I felt like dropping out and not doing it. My most-times wise and insightful companion Ann (who some of your met at the Rally), she pointed out that would be like me drinking the poison and waiting for the other person to die or get sick. *Somebody* is going to get the deal and what do I gain by ignoring the opportunity thereby making sure I'm *not* the one to get that deal?

From a business sense... expecting a "trial membership" refund after more than three years with Taxi is, well, the start of a one-woman revolt. Emotionally neutral... since you can and have made it past those nasty high-bar Country Taxi screeners (several times... and that's something worth admiring)) it seems like submitting to the listings that fit your music for the duration of your membership would make the most sense... maximize your membership by selecting those submissions carefully. It would be different if you simply didn't have the stuff but that's not true. Or... you could skip the listings and not submit for the duration of your membership but *somebody* Claire, is going to get the deal. I can drink the poison but the other person probably isn't going to die or even get sick. ;)

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am

For me - I participate in Taxi for the education (and motivation), from screeners, from Michael, the Rally and from my peers here on the forum. The forwards are the evidence that the education is working.