Registering EVERYTHING with PRO

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Registering EVERYTHING with PRO

Post by SteveBaruah » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi All,

Do you register every cue you make with your PRO? What about re-titling? Do you then register the cue again every time you re-title it?
A lot of libraries will do it themselves, which is cool. But some don't.
I work with a music supervisor who has been in the game for decades, and he stopped registering cues years ago. He says as long as the cue sheet is filled out with your name and IP# you will get paid.
He has never missed a payment this way.

Cheers,
Steve

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Registering EVERYTHING with PRO

Post by andygabrys » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:43 pm

No I don't register anything that a library has. Its their job as they have a vested stake in getting paid.

Things that I pitch direct to super, or direct to agency - sure I register those as usually I have a very vested interest in getting 100% of the money.

YMMV but it works for me.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Andy!

Cool. Yeah with stuff where a library has a vested interest, the library is going to register it.

I'm talking about the stuff where only I hold the writer's and publisher's share. Plus the one library I refer to doesn't register it anyway, as he says you still get paid the same just relying on the cue sheets. He's never lost a payment. I'm thinking I'm going to stop registering my tracks where I own publishing and writer's. A prerequisite for this of course making sure your info is in the metadata.

Cheers,
Steve

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:57 am

FWIW ... I do it the same as Andy. Most of my work goes through libraries, so I would not register it myself. Sometimes the library relies on cue sheets only, but I'm trusting that they are on top of the activity to make sure we both get paid.

For the small number where I am publisher & writer, I register those myself, because relying only on cue sheets (without a library) feels a little "loose" to me.

Good luck, Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Steve!

Yeah I see the point. As long as cue sheets come through for everything its no worry. Of course being with BMI I have no idea if a cue sheet came through except in the few cases where there was a spelling error and there is a registration by cue sheet in the account. I think ASCAP is slightly more transparent in that regard.
SteveBaruah wrote:I'm thinking I'm going to stop registering my tracks where I own publishing and writer's. A prerequisite for this of course making sure your info is in the metadata.
Yeah - most of the stuff that I pitch myself has ended up in smaller films and I am always wondering whether the film peeps "do the right thing" and register the music. So far its been no trouble with that.

so I guess getting back to your question - it does seem to work not registering anything.

But if its a significant placement (in one case a commercial I wrote for an agency in NYC a few years back) I took the trouble to make sure it was registered as I had 100% royalties on it.

In that case it was worth the time for me to chase it down, as I had to send extra documentation to BMI to get paid by their Commercial Jingles department.

timothycook
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timothycook » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 am

Just for clarification for newbies like me.

Do you put your PRO info, including registration number in the metadata for the track?

Thanks,
Tim
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin

See: https://soundcloud.com/timothywcook

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Tim,

If you are signing the track to a publisher (library, etc), they will tell you EXACTLY how they want the metadata to be filled out, including your PRO data.

If you are not using a publisher, and have a deal directly with an ad agency, for example, sure add your PRO data to the metadata, also send it extra to them via email.

Regarding me not registering every cue with my PRO, it is something I am trying out to save time. Officially, and to be extra safe, you should register everything with your PRO.

Cheers,
Steve

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Officially, and to be extra safe, you should register everything with your PRO.
I have to disagree with you on this one, Steve. My business model is to let my music libraries / publishers register EVERYTHING for me. There's really no need at all for you to do it yourself, EXCEPT if you're pitching these directly to shows / supervisors, or maybe doing big artist pitches.

For almost all cues that are signed to libraries, when you register them yourself - though you may be trying to help - you just create an extra layer of hassle, believe it or not. So, unless a library specifically asks you to register your tracks, best to just leave 'em alone!

~~Matt

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks for highlighting that, Matt! It wasn't very clear. When I say EVERYTHING I mean everything you don't have a publisher for.
If you have a publisher they will almost certainly do it. Otherwise it's just a duplication of work and could lead to some confusion.

KR,
Steve

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm

From my experience, there's only one TAXI friendly library that will require you to register your songs with your PRO before they add it to their catalog, but Matt is right and covered everything. Don't register them if you do not have to.