Registering titles with ASCAP

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RobSut

Registering titles with ASCAP

Post by RobSut » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey there,
I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to inform me on whether I should register a song with ASCAP as a writer without a publilsher, before aquiring a publishing deal. How about if there is no publisher involved for a certain listing? Should I join as a publisher as well? Just want to make sure that I make the right steps. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Rob

GMDmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Registering titles with ASCAP

Post by GMDmusic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Rob,

I see no one has responded to your questions about Publishing...

I believe that's because there's no substitute for going to ASCAP's website so that YOU understand how it works. You said you "want to make sure that I make the right steps" so that's why I'm making this suggestion.

With that said, I wanted to try and answer your question about "should I join as a publisher as well?" My understanding is that in order to own 100% of your song you need to register as both writer (50%) and publisher (50%). They say there's no such thing as owning 100% of your writing and 100% of your publishing. They say that would equal 200%. Clear as mud?

That's why you need to make sure YOU understand this and not rely on anyone else to interpret "publishing" for you. ASCAP will answer any question you have.

This page may be a good place to start: http://www.ascap.com/cwrreg/Main_Introduction.asp

As an example - I found the following info at ASCAP's website:

"In order for ASCAP to make our title registration system consistent with the rest of the performing right societies throughout the world, the Online Works Registration format is now based on 100%. This means that the total of both publisher and writer shares must add up to 100% not 200%. A writer or publisher share listed at 50% on an ASCAP web registration confirms that entitled party is entitled to receive the full share."

"The web registration system will not accept a work for processing if the publisher field is blank unless the work is unpublished. You should uncheck the box This work has a publisher. If the work is unpublished, any royalties attributable to performances will not be distributed. Consequently, you may want to establish your own ASCAP publishing company. The information to join ASCAP as a publisher is available at http://www.ascap.com. Click on “Join ASCAP” to obtain the information regarding the qualifications and requirements to join as a publisher member."

Hope this helps you decide what your next step will be.