Registering your songs w/ BMI- BMI's take on it..

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Registering your songs w/ BMI- BMI's take on it..

Post by Paulie » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 am

I never register tracks with BMI with the exception of one critical library that requires it. All of the other libraries I'm in register music on their own... Before Covid I had some tracks that was stuck in the registration process for about 8 weeks. I emailed them <bmiworksregistration@bmi.com> and received a polite response the next day stating "Your titles were registered yesterday. Our apologies in the delay. We are currently experiencing a longer than usual wait time. You should see the titles in your catalog either today or tomorrow." My guess is that they are busy and have been impacted by staffing issues.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Paulie wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 am
I never register tracks with BMI with the exception of one critical library that requires it. All of the other libraries I'm in register music on their own...
It must be great knowing that you can rely on that Paulie. I'd be very happy for it to the same everywhere, but it isn't. My personal records of signed tracks (all exclusive) is very different to the list of tracks registered in my BMI account. I've never registered anything myself, because all the advice I've heard says that I shouldn't (unless there's no publisher), or that it could complicate matters if sub-publishers become involved, or that accidental duplication could delay payments, or that as long as the track is registered with a national PRO somewhere then reciprocation should eventually(?) result in me getting paid. One of my libraries also routinely changes the titles of my tracks without notifying me, so my registration using the original title would be useless. I like things nice and simple, clean and easy to understand, but in some cases its far from that.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:25 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 pm
One of my libraries also routinely changes the titles of my tracks without notifying me, so my registration using the original title would be useless.
Good that you mention this, Graham, because I thought this, too, and from what I have experienced with my few signed tracks so far, 100% of the titles of my tracks have been modified in one way or another.

Tom
Its just something else to be aware of Tom. I hope everyone's experience is more like Paulie's but mine has been somewhat different. As you know, It feels like quite an achievement to get placements and something to be proud of when you get started, but it takes the edge off a little when things get messy with libraries, registration, cue sheets, and PROs. I have no doubt that many experience such things, and perhaps many of those that do just accept that it happens and forget about. It might be worth no more than a few $ so its not worth stressing over. I'm getting there :). I'd just like to think that things were a bit more 'joined up'.

Anyway, I'm in danger of hi-jacking this post (sorry JohnnyP) so I'll sit back, but I hope there's something useful in my comments for other people here.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:33 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm
CTWF wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:25 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 pm
One of my libraries also routinely changes the titles of my tracks without notifying me, so my registration using the original title would be useless.
Good that you mention this, Graham, because I thought this, too, and from what I have experienced with my few signed tracks so far, 100% of the titles of my tracks have been modified in one way or another.

Tom
Its just something else to be aware of Tom. I hope everyone's experience is more like Paulie's but mine has been somewhat different. As you know, It feels like quite an achievement to get placements and something to be proud of when you get started, but it takes the edge off a little when things get messy with libraries, registration, cue sheets, and PROs. I have no doubt that many experience such things, and perhaps many of those that do just accept that it happens and forget about. It might be worth no more than a few $ so its not worth stressing over. I'm getting there :). I'd just like to think that things were a bit more 'joined up'.

Anyway, I'm in danger of hi-jacking this post (sorry JohnnyP) so I'll sit back, but I hope there's something useful in my comments for other people here.
Lol no worries Graham. It's all about sharing info to me. We're all in this together and the more experiences ppl can draw on the better.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com