Release forms (proof of ownership) question....

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Release forms (proof of ownership) question...

Post by andreh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:06 pm

Matto-You're right on about the potential risks of posting a contract on a forum such as this; the poster is open to a copyright infringement suit, and Taxi could be sued for damages (even if they're not awarded). However, I also understand where Steve is coming from...there is a lot to be learned from actual contract examples.My view is that posting portions of contracts from which the names of involved parties have been removed, and which don't infringe upon any copyrights, is not too much to sweat over...assuming all the proper, "This is just an example and shouldn't be regarded as legal advice" wording is in place.As far as Taxi's concerned, perhaps they could amend their Forum Rules if they have an issue with contracts being posted here. As it stands, they almost seem to encourage it with (and are fairly well legally covered by) their very first rule:1. We are not responsible for anything posted on these boards. You post and read at your own risk.André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Quote:As far as Taxi's concerned, perhaps they could amend their Forum Rules if they have an issue with contracts being posted here. As it stands, they almost seem to encourage it with (and are fairly well legally covered by) their very first rule:1. We are not responsible for anything posted on these boards. You post and read at your own risk. thank you André. That has always been my assumption, as well.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Andre,I think everybody has the right to post any advice that they are comfortable giving, as long as it's okay with Taxi.What's important is that the person giving the advice is aware of the ramifications of sharing advice here on this *public* forum, and that they remain in control over what type advice they want to give and who they want to give it to.Personally, I do not feel comfortable giving legal advice because I know that people are liable to take it at face value simply because I do music for a living, regardless of any disclaimers I may put in. If you do not share my trepidations then more power to you.The reason I prefer PM's for certain sensitive topics is that it gives me control about who I pass such sensitive advice on to. I can choose to pass it on to people I know well and/or feel I can trust.What worries me is that, if legal matters and contracts are going to be discussed publicly and in detail on this forum, it's almost inevitable that some of the information that I gave some of the members here in private, will (most likely inadvertently but almost inevitably) end up being posted in such threads and be on its merry way out into google world.Meaning I no longer have control over what I'm willing to share and with whom. And I think you know as well as Steve that I'm NOT trying to keep information from people, I'm just trying to be safe and keep myself out of trouble. I think it's fantastic that people can learn stuff from people like you or myself or many of the other knowledgeable folks on here, and then pass that information on to help educate more and more musicians about the ins and outs of the music business. I'm all about that, you know that. But, we all should be allowed to be in control about exactly how much and what we want to share and with whom, no?I think it would be really unfortunate if I'd have to stop helping people out in private for fear of potential liability when "sensitive" information leaks out onto the public forum. I know I've been able to help a host of people in the past and would like to be able to continue to do so. There are places where you can find sample contracts and discuss them. There are books you can buy or borrow at the local library where contracts are discussed in great detail by QUALIFIED attorneys. Everybody can have access to those things.What people on this forum, who are willing to put in the time to become regular contributing members of the community can get beyond that, when they are in a bind, is personalized, private advice from people who have been there. The kind of personalized advice you can't find in any book. The kind of advice PM's were invented for... matto

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:58 am

Quote:Andre,I think everybody has the right to post any advice that they are comfortable giving, as long as it's okay with Taxi.What's important is that the person giving the advice is aware of the ramifications of sharing advice here on this *public* forum, and that they remain in control over what type advice they want to give and who they want to give it to.Personally, I do not feel comfortable giving legal advice because I know that people are liable to take it at face value simply because I do music for a living, regardless of any disclaimers I may put in. If you do not share my trepidations then more power to you.The reason I prefer PM's for certain sensitive topics is that it gives me control about who I pass such sensitive advice on to. I can choose to pass it on to people I know well and/or feel I can trust.What worries me is that, if legal matters and contracts are going to be discussed publicly and in detail on this forum, it's almost inevitable that some of the information that I gave some of the members here in private, will (most likely inadvertently but almost inevitably) end up being posted in such threads and be on its merry way out into google world.Meaning I no longer have control over what I'm willing to share and with whom. And I think you know as well as Steve that I'm NOT trying to keep information from people, I'm just trying to be safe and keep myself out of trouble. I think it's fantastic that people can learn stuff from people like you or myself or many of the other knowledgeable folks on here, and then pass that information on to help educate more and more musicians about the ins and outs of the music business. I'm all about that, you know that. But, we all should be allowed to be in control about exactly how much and what we want to share and with whom, no?I think it would be really unfortunate if I'd have to stop helping people out in private for fear of potential liability when "sensitive" information leaks out onto the public forum. I know I've been able to help a host of people in the past and would like to be able to continue to do so. There are places where you can find sample contracts and discuss them. There are books you can buy or borrow at the local library where contracts are discussed in great detail by QUALIFIED attorneys. Everybody can have access to those things.What people on this forum, who are willing to put in the time to become regular contributing members of the community can get beyond that, when they are in a bind, is personalized, private advice from people who have been there. The kind of personalized advice you can't find in any book. The kind of advice PM's were invented for... mattoMatto-More good points, as always! I actually agree with everything you're saying, although we appear to have different sliding scales re: what to post here vs. in a PM...but you're certainly not overly-secretive or hesitant to share information!You've been able to help a lot of people (including me) on & off this forum, so your approach is obviously working...don't change! André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.