Repetition/Variation in Instrumental Hip Hop, EDM. etc.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanGo

Repetition/Variation in Instrumental Hip Hop, EDM. etc.

Post by VanGo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Hey folks, thanks for taking the time if you decide to respond. I've been with TAXI for almost a year, have submitted 15 or so instrumental tracks, approx. 1/2 forwarded, 1/2 returned, no placements yet. Of the returned tracks in electronic styles, at least a couple of times a comment has been "too repetitive." Most of what I'm hearing on the top 10 these days uses just one chord progression for both the verse and chorus with little or no bridge. Since the cuts and drops that occur are largely filled with vocals, how do you translate this to instrumental library cues? Do you tend to use bridges more? any other thoughts or techniques?

Thanks!

Chris D.

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Repetition/Variation in Instrumental Hip Hop, EDM. etc.

Post by shoodBworkin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 am

Moments ago I came upon this, sorta on topic lol
20 Songs That Sound Exactly Alike

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am

VanGo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:37 pm
Hey folks, thanks for taking the time if you decide to respond. I've been with TAXI for almost a year, have submitted 15 or so instrumental tracks, approx. 1/2 forwarded, 1/2 returned, no placements yet. Of the returned tracks in electronic styles, at least a couple of times a comment has been "too repetitive." Most of what I'm hearing on the top 10 these days uses just one chord progression for both the verse and chorus with little or no bridge. Since the cuts and drops that occur are largely filled with vocals, how do you translate this to instrumental library cues? Do you tend to use bridges more? any other thoughts or techniques?

Thanks!

Chris D.
If the refs are vocal tune3s but you are asked to create instrumental tracks - then the refs are for general vibe and feeling.

Listen to big name production music library tracks in the genres you are looking for and you will hear what kind of things fill in the crack where there is no vocal.

Another place is to check out instrumental versions of tracks on Youtube.

For genres like Future Bass - there are so many vocal chop type melodies and foley / found sounds that you can create a lot of the stuff easily in your DAW (careful where you get your content from though - keep copies of terms of use for every library that you employ).

VanGo

Post by VanGo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:57 pm

shoodBworkin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:47 am
Moments ago I came upon this, sorta on topic lol
20 Songs That Sound Exactly Alike
Thanks--crazy how close you can get without copyright infringement!

VanGo

Post by VanGo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks Andy--will definitely check out some tracks from libraries in those genres.

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Hey Chris:

I have been trying to get better at producing Trap Instrumentals for a while now, but have not been too successful with getting many forwarded yet, so take my advice for what it is...LOL!!!

I think these styles are quite deceptive in making you think they are simple to create (come on, how hard can it be to create a two bar loop---LOL!!!). I have been finding out that through my dabbling in this style that there is quite a bit of artistry in the people who do this style of music. Basically, I have been slowly trying to build my cues throughout by adding elements as the piece moves along. I also try to put in a little "bridge" sometime by temporarily raising the key a half or whole step and/or adding a drop to it as well. I don't really do many "cuts" in the rhythm, if I do it may be at the end of a phrase.

There are many excellent videos on YouTube for producing Trap, I have spent some time with these videos and have also reached out to some of the biggies in the style here on the forums (Matt Vanderbough is great in this style, along with a few others). I posted in the Peer to Peer back in March looking for feedback from Matt and his reply (with others) was very helpful. The post is at this link if you want to read it:

please-help-me-matt-vander-boegh-trap-c ... 42532.html

I don't think I have that piece of music up on my website anymore, but if you go to my taxi page at http://www.taxi.com/TuKatz and look for 2 songs called Massive Trap and Methane Streets, they are there.

Post your songs to P2P and you will get some great feedback (I would like to hear what you have been doing anyway). I hope that this helps a little. I look forward to hearing great things from you soon.

VanGo

Post by VanGo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks, Charles, appreciate it!