Request For Feedback On Dramedy Instro (Repost)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Request For Feedback On Dramedy Instro (Repost)

Post by KentB » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I attempted to share this earlier but the link seems to be broken. So, hopefully, this works:

Thanks so much!

Kent

Lots of DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very busy British Music Library that's constantly landing tons of placements in Film, TV, and other Media.

This Library is looking for a range of Instrumentals that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (from 0:59 - 1:55)

"Dark Comedy Central" by Jim Ellis

Real Housewives of Atlanta (from 1:25 to 2:08)

"Quirky Waltz" by Gabriel Saban & Anne-Sophie Elizabeth Versnaeyen

"Frenemy of the People" by Bleeding Fingers

Please submit well-produced Dramedy Instrumentals that could help set the tone in Film, TV, and other media placements. Your submissions can range from sparse and quirky to dark and sombre – to anywhere in between! Your submissions should have memorable motifs, solid arrangements, and polished production. Orchestral-based instrumentation that is generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. You can incorporate some additional elements (like Hip-Hop beats), as long as the orchestral elements stay the focal element. Craft your pieces around a central motif, and create a sense of forward dynamics and movement by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. We recommend avoiding anything that sounds overly busy as it could distract from a scene’s dialogue. Please be sure any virtual sounds or instruments you use are high-quality and modern.

Your submissions should be about 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned endings with good edit points are needed for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced example in any way shape or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. Since this is an Exclusive deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. You’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please send as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, July 27th, 2022. TAXI # S220727DR

TAXI # S220727DR

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Request For Feedback On Dramedy Instro (Repost)

Post by BrentI » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 am

Hey Kent, nice track! I know this listing expires tonight, but if you get a chance, I would dial back the reverb a touch and see about panning things a bit closer to center. Obviously a little bit of panning is good, but the instruments are sounding too spaced out to me. Otherwise, nice job! I really like the bongos! May I ask what you're using for those?

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:51 pm

Hi Brent,

Thanks so much for checking out my track! I agree about the reverb. Unfortunately, the reverb is recorded in the samples (at least I think they are) because I used the free Spitfire sample library. That's actually what inspired me to try to write for the listing. :) I may just either download a more versatile library or try to "de-reverb" them using a plug-in or something. I don't know if you or someone has any experience with that.

I also agree about the panning. It sounds a bit wide.

The bongos are actually just the stock automated drummer in Logic (Quincy- Pop Percussion.)

Thanks again for listening and for the advice. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun! :D

Kent

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:27 pm

Hi Again Brent and Everyone,

Here's my attempt at bringing the "baked in" reverb down using a plugin. I also brought some of the instruments more center.

Thanks so much!
Kent

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Post by AlonMarcus » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:57 pm

I enjoyed this track, love the main melody and the buildup you did in the middle section!
My opinion on reverb and panning is different in this case. I think you need more reverb, and it's better to send all the instruments to one send channel. It will make everything sound like played in the same room or hall and will glue things together.
Very nice use of bongos indeed and also liked a lot the clarinet (I think) that played the main melody.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:33 am

Much better this way! You may benefit from some reverb to 'glue' the instruments together, but not so much that it becomes apparent. Only enough so that [paradox]you only notice it when it's not there[/paradox] ;)

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the help/advice. The listing expired last night so I sent it in already. But I never even thought about adding reverb back in on one bus. I'm going to try that just to see what happens.

Thanks again!
Kent

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:38 am

Hey guys,

Just an update. Track got forwarded! Thanks again for your input :)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:43 am

KentB wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:38 am
Hey guys,

Just an update. Track got forwarded! Thanks again for your input :)
+1

KentB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KentB » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:20 pm

Does +1 mean you got forwarded? If so, congrats Alan!