Requesting a Song Review

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Requesting a Song Review

Post by LongBlackNight » Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Hello, I have recorded a song, All That I Need.
You can listen here: https://longblacknight.com/all-that-i-need

Just asking for a general review. Some aspects about which I am particularly concerned:

1. The snare seems to cover up the piano and rhythm guitar during the verses. Does it sound like it needs less boom and more crack?
2. Piano too low during verses. (It's definitely loud enough at the beginning.)
3. The piece sounds a little boomy even though I've scraped everything out of the bass except for kick and electric bass.

The above are what I think, but maybe that's because I'm too close to the piece.
What do you think?

Thank You,
jp

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Requesting a Song Review

Post by Zaychi » Thu May 13, 2021 2:10 am

Oof, this is a tough one... it absolutely has some sort of EQ problem, too much low mids, though I find it hard to say how to fix it or even in which instrument(s). Maybe you should A/B it with a ref track in the genre and twist the EQ knobs of the individual stems?

Some other stuff I noticed:
- The intro seems quite chaotical rythmically. When I started listening, it gave me the impression "oh wow this is going to be a rubbish track", but when the actual song starts I thought "OK, I was wrong there" and it really starts grooving. Maybe you should ditch the intro, or re-record it?
- The vocal needs much more production attention. Melodyne to start with, but more to the front and compression as well, and less reverb.
- I found the handclappy thing coming in around 0:48 very distracting and drawing attention ("what is going on there?!?"), it doesn't fit well in the mix.

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am

You've given me plenty to think about and to address, Zaychi.

I guess my biggest issue is the boominess, which you agree with.

The vocals are scratch--I should have mentioned that. I think the vocalist can do a better job when it's time for her to record, but I 'll pay attention to those aspects you mention.

The "handclappy" thing is part of the scratch vocal track. She was singing right next to the drummer, who was using Roland's V-drums, so her mike picked up a lot of the stick noise.

Great input, thnx!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu May 13, 2021 11:34 am

Yeah lots of murky low mids going on. Could it be reverb related? have you tried ditching the verb and seeing if it clears up some? The drums have some groove issues for sure. I like the tune and the raw, live sound you have going. I think for synch purposes that middle section won't be doing you any favors but if it's not for synch no worries. Almost a Meat Loaf vibe!

I 'd get the drums in the pocket, if the groove is problematic no amount of eq-ing is going to help.

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 pm

I think I did some bad eq on the snare and it's just flooding the mix. There is no verb on the snare, but the compression has a pronounced 'verb effect.

That middle section is problematic for me. Not going for sync, but, yeah, that would kill it. Originally, the middle section still had the beat going.