Return envelopes may not have enough postage

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Return envelopes may not have enough postage

Post by davewalton » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:55 am

Hi,I submitted some stuff in early December and of course included a self-address stamped envelope for my critiques. I got one today but it occurred to me that there is another one with 37 cents postage that might not make it. It never occurred to me in December to put 39 cents postage on the return envelope.Fooey. Dave

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Return envelopes may not have enough postage

Post by mani » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Broadjam is the answer Dave!

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:09 am

Oh Dave..that stinks..but in reality if a letter has postage on it (even if its one cent) my understanding is that it WILL arrive to the recipient postage due. So you will get the letter back and it will say you owe your postman or post office two cents. I would also recommend Broadjam, if you are submitting to Taxi. You can get a Taxi membership for $40 I believe and it is so easy to use..just a couple clicks.And you can check on your song responses, review critiques, etc. Really simple.Jessica just upgraded to the Primo Mob..(very pricey but we had a coupon from my friend the MBOX2/PROTOOLS ) so the $199.95 membership will run us $79.95 once they issue the coupon refund (we had to pay it all upfront and get refunded..just did it yesterday)This will give us a turnkey webhost and some free entries into contests etc. Pricey but with the coupon reasonable. They also offer half off different memberships sometimes (Taxi membership is not one of them).Anyway in your case you have a website..so I think a basic Taxi membership is the way to go.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi,I did Broadjam the first year. I'll admit that Broadjam is the way to go in terms of convenience. I started noticing that their method of encoding MP3's really leaves a lot to be desired in terms of quality. I decided to go the "CD and snail mail" route this year. Taxi mails little post cards on their own when forwarded so I'll know about that. Their post cards say something like "Your tape has been forwarded". Tape? Dave

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi Dave,I agree, that encoding the mp3 is terrible and doesn't help sell the songs, but the convenience and cost factor is so nice. Have you noticed if you've had more positive responses or forwards since you started mailing them in instead? This is something we've thought about. Thanks.-Theresa

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Quote:Hi Dave,I agree, that encoding the mp3 is terrible and doesn't help sell the songs, but the convenience and cost factor is so nice. Have you noticed if you've had more positive responses or forwards since you started mailing them in instead? This is something we've thought about. Thanks.-TheresaI think the ratio is about the same. It's more of a mental thing for me, probably having more to do with perception than reality. It just bugged me too much that quality could or might be a factor. I have a hard enough time making it on talent, I don't need quality to be against me too.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:51 pm

I was thinking along the lines that if I sent my finished CD to submit a song and it got forwarded, the end user would have my whole CD and may be interested in more tracks. Is that how it works or does Taxi burn a CD or MP3 of the forwards?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:14 am

Quote:I was thinking along the lines that if I sent my finished CD to submit a song and it got forwarded, the end user would have my whole CD and may be interested in more tracks. Is that how it works or does Taxi burn a CD or MP3 of the forwards?Here is what I think I know (confirmation anyone?).Taxi burns CD's with as many tracks as can fit on a CD from the Broadjam submissions. I don't know if that includes songs from CD's sent via mail.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:15 am

From my understanding Nomi..they only will burn the song you are submitting..so your whole CD would NOT get forwarded.A couple things did bug me with Broadjam or Taxi..we sent in a song that someone else wrote..before we realized we werent allowed to do that. and it was CLEARLY marked that someone else had written it...yet we got a review on what a nice job Jessica did writing it..so someone was not paying attention.And we have NEVER gotten any comments on her photos.So it does make you wonder exactly what they look at..But I figure its a shot we wouldnt have had.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:10 am

AFAIK, they only burn CDs from the broadjam submissions, they mail the entire CD for mail-in submissions. At least that's how it used to be, but of course things may have changed...But I find it hard to believe they'd make extra work (and expenditure) for themselves by burning a new CD from a perfectly good CD submission.Also, if they didn't forward your actual CD, shouldn't there be a checkbox "return my CD if my submission has been forwarded" ?Just speculating here...a full CD would only be potentially beneficial for artist listings, anyway.Btw Dave, don't worry about the postage thing, I'm sure you'll get your critique .