Return for World Music Instrumental

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

eye90prod

Return for World Music Instrumental

Post by eye90prod » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:50 pm

We really need some help from the experts here. Our submission for UP-TEMPO, MODERN, WORLD MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES with BEATS was returned because it needs “more modern/competitive sounds” and a “more composed ending”.

The listing says:
“Authentic melodies and instruments”
“World Music melodies and instruments”
“Traditional-sounding instrumentation”

Which is what we did. It never crossed our minds that the sounds weren’t “modern'' enough. In fact we were worried that the sounds may not be authentic enough. Many of the sounds are from SOLO by Taqs.im, one of the best (if not the best) VSTi’s for Middle Eastern sounds (modern and traditional). When I listen to the references and the tracks that got forwarded, I hear plenty of traditional sounding instruments. As for the ending, we think it’s a nice buttoned up riser ending, with no need to resolve on the downbeat, but we will never do it again. Lesson learned.

With each return we usually learn a little bit more about how to improve our submissions, and I’m sure there is plenty more to learn, but we’re stumped on this one. Are the instruments really not modern and competitive? Is the ending really a deal killer? What are we missing?

Thanks for your feedback!

Here is the track:
https://www.taxi.com/members/HlytJwZ_TV ... he-sultan
Here is the critique:
https://www.taxi.com/my/submissions/20400414/critique

Here is the original listing:
UP-TEMPO, MODERN, WORLD MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES with BEATS are needed by a Great Music Licensing Company with lots of Film and TV placements needs some great new tracks to meet increased demand in this genre!

This Library is on the lookout for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (and/or Cues) that could be heard on a playlist with the following references (but not limited to):

"Ethereal Japan" by ndls404 feat. Morokiri

"BAROOD WARGI" by Simiran Kaur Dhadli

"Koto" by CloZee

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

NOTE: This request is open to submissions that incorporate Authentic melodies and instruments from places like (but not limited to): China, Japan, France, India, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, etc, etc., etc.

Please send them top-notch Instrumentals (and/or Cues) that effortlessly combine World Music melodies and instruments with current-sounding Hip-Hop and/or Pop beats. Captivating melodies, energizing rhythms, and slick arrangements with plenty of dynamics, forward motion, and interest are all needed for this request. Traditional-sounding instrumentation from your chosen country that is seamlessly blended with Hip-Hop and/or Pop-style beats, that falls in the general wheelhouse of the references are required as well. Your productions should be polished, and any virtual instruments or samples you use need to be of high quality and not dated-sounding.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals and/or Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals and/or Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, July 1st, 2023. TAXI # S230701UP
-------------------------------------------------
https://www.taxi.com/members/eye90

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Return for World Music Instrumental

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi
The link to the critique didn't work but I listened to the track. The sounds really aren't very good. They sound like early 80's MIDI sounds.

I'm also not hearing "combine World Music melodies and instruments with current-sounding Hip-Hop and/or Pop beats". Nothing sounds like current Hip-Hop or Pop. Listen to the reference tracks. Do you really feel yours is like those? The key to Taxi listings is the reference tracks. Sometimes it takes new members a few returns to 'get' that.

Wish I had better feedback for you.

Best,
:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:06 am

Hi, Casey's right. I can't see your feedback but I'd guess its more the 80's electronic drums that are the backbone of the underscore that are the biggest problem because there's absolutely no way that anyone would consider that to be a 'current sounding pop beat'. Also, considering that all three ref tracks have a hip hop beat it would have been a wiser choice to have gone that way.

The ending can be a 'deal killer'. For a start, when tracks end like that it suggests that the writer is using loops but hasn't got (or taken the time to create) one that resolves, and that's not the best way to impress a library. Also, the lack of resolution would deter an editor from using it to conclude a scene. For that reason its always a good idea to have a composed ending that resolves on the tonic (and why fade-outs are always advised against). Besides, almost all libraries will ask you to provide a 'sting' version (about 5-10s) mainly for that purpose, so having a composed ending makes that a whole lot easier for you.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

eye90prod

Post by eye90prod » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:59 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Hi
The link to the critique didn't work but I listened to the track. The sounds really aren't very good. They sound like early 80's MIDI sounds.

I'm also not hearing "combine World Music melodies and instruments with current-sounding Hip-Hop and/or Pop beats". Nothing sounds like current Hip-Hop or Pop. Listen to the reference tracks. Do you really feel yours is like those? The key to Taxi listings is the reference tracks. Sometimes it takes new members a few returns to 'get' that.

Wish I had better feedback for you.

Best,
Ouch. That seems a bit harsh, but I do appreciate your honest feedback.

Actually the screener seemed quite positive about the track except for the 2 issues mentioned.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRcvfa ... sp=sharing

We thought we were a lot closer than the complete “miss” that you’re describing.

The references do all have hip hop style beats but that was not a requirement. We used a dance beat suitable to the style of the song. Several tracks got forwarded with similar style beats. The sound of the kick/snare is intentionally very similar to the Barood Wurgi reference. I thought we did a good job there but in hindsight we would have had a better chance with a hip hop beat.

As far as the sounds go, we used sounds that we KNOW are popular in Middle Eastern music, but obviously they are not what the client (or TAXI screeners) are looking for here. Noted. But I really don’t see how we could be knocked for dated sounding instruments when pan flutes are perfectly acceptable. Sledgehammer anyone? :D

Thanks again. We’ll lick our wounds and move on.

eye90prod

Post by eye90prod » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:45 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:06 am
Hi, Casey's right. I can't see your feedback but I'd guess its more the 80's electronic drums that are the backbone of the underscore that are the biggest problem because there's absolutely no way that anyone would consider that to be a 'current sounding pop beat'. Also, considering that all three ref tracks have a hip hop beat it would have been a wiser choice to have gone that way.

The ending can be a 'deal killer'. For a start, when tracks end like that it suggests that the writer is using loops but hasn't got (or taken the time to create) one that resolves, and that's not the best way to impress a library. Also, the lack of resolution would deter an editor from using it to conclude a scene. For that reason its always a good idea to have a composed ending that resolves on the tonic (and why fade-outs are always advised against). Besides, almost all libraries will ask you to provide a 'sting' version (about 5-10s) mainly for that purpose, so having a composed ending makes that a whole lot easier for you.
Thanks for the additional feedback/explanation on the ending. That is very helpful!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:47 am

eye90prod wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:59 am
Ouch. That seems a bit harsh, but I do appreciate your honest feedback.
Didn't mean to be harsh at all, just giving my honest thoughts. Apologies if it came off harsh as that would never be my intention. :)
eye90prod wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:59 am
The references do all have hip hop style beats but that was not a requirement.
"Please send them top-notch Instrumentals (and/or Cues) that effortlessly combine World Music melodies and instruments with current-sounding Hip-Hop and/or Pop beats." It definitely was a requirement. And as I mentioned, when it comes to Taxi listings, the references are king. Members who are successful at getting forwards often will download a copy of the reference track, put it in their DAW, and do A/B listens.

You'll find folks here are amazingly helpful and give honest feedback. And we wouldn't want it any other way. 8-)

Best,

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:52 am

You should not be surprised by a return for this track. I have to ask, did you listen to any of the references? A quick comparison shows that your sounds and overall mix are not close to meeting the style or sound quality.

This listing requires a beat... it is part of the title, and should be pretty clear when you listen to the references. Overall your submission is more of a club/dance track, not a "beat" as far as the current perception of the term goes. Here is some specific feedback:
  • The filter sweep at the beginning sounds outdated and cheesy. Check out Cymatics for great collections of current sounds.
  • The bass sound in your track is not current sounding or stylistically accurate. If you want to get into the beats world I always recommend finding a solid 808 Kick VST, I've been using Producers Choice 808 Warfare for years and it continues to deliver.
  • Your beat is a four on the floor dance club type beat, the kick drum on your beat is too polite, not hard hitting or punchy enough, while none of the references have a beat like that. They have more current sounding kick drum patterns.
  • Your snare is not current, and is too far back in the mix.
  • The gated synth pad is not stylistically accurate.
  • The ending is abrupt... if you want to end on beat four like this, add some more building up to it in the last measure or two. Or, end with a strong downbeat.
This reminds me of my very first attempt at EDM back in 2015. I thought I nailed it, it was returned, I posted my track here for feedback and I got the same sort of feedback you are now receiving. That was 8 years anf 1500 tracks ago. Today I am in a lot of libraries and my music has been used on about 75 different tv series. Go back and listen to the listing references, then compare your track. I think you will hear the difference.

Keep working at it!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic