Return on listing for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Return on listing for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

Post by arska » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 pm

I submitted to listing S210725EM searching for emotional trailer type of instrumentals with these reference tracks shared in the listing:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yknzmslvyvv9 ... IsqQa?dl=0

My submission was this:

https://soundcloud.com/r2h-music/the-rise

It was returned with the feedback you can see bit below in this text.

Reason I write here is that I'd like to understand more clearly what is the gap between my submission and the reference tracks in order to find how to improve in my next submissions. I need to "wire my brain" so to say to as now I'm bit on a blind spot here... For 2 areas I'd need your valuable input:

1. My track was judged to missing compelling central theme / melody could be stronger. I in fact tried to avoid any prominent melody as it was requested in the listing. But maybe screener meant here that my chord progressions were not compelling enough?

2. Dated samples, that worries me maybe even more.. Well, for orchestral sounds I've used latest eastwest diamond series hollywoord orchestra libraries but... using such comprehensive library is also demanding due to like 1000 different articulations to mention at least. So orchestral sounds could still be an issue OR then they meant pads, effects or something else.. Do you have any suggestions what screener could mean here?

FEEDBACK FROM TAXI:

What I like most about this song
This builds nicely.

I think you could improve this song by
This could use a more compelling central theme. Samples sound a bit dated.

I returned or forwarded this song because
This needs further refinement in the composition and production.

Composition: Melody could be stronger
Recording and Production: Song instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality

LISTING:

BUILDING, EMOTIONAL TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library: "We're looking for Instrumentals with a building structure that starts subtle and grows into a big, epic resolution. That said, each Instrumental should have one consistent motif and always stay very underscore-friendly, ie: No prominent melodies at all. Rather, your arrangements should keep the pieces interesting by creating what we call 'sound substance' (little sound tinkering, layering, development within existing elements (e.g. percussion), etc). So, the development should happen through the arrangement and the production and NOT by adding additional harmonic elements. Style-wise, your tracks should be much like trailer Instrumentals based on the sections and build, but with a clear hybrid approach and not overly orchestral/classical in instrumentation (but also not getting synth-y). Building, epic themes with a cinematic feel and a hybrid approach are what we want to hear. Again, imagine 'Arise From Ashes', Rebirth, etc."

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that have an overall epic, emotional sound and feel. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and samples, and 3 "acts" that build to a climactic ending.

All submissions should be around 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, July 25th, 2021. TAXI # S210725EM
Last edited by arska on Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Retrun on listong for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

Post by JuanMacias » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:21 am

Hi Askra!

The link to your track don't work. make sure to enable the "public option".

Juan

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Retrun on listong for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

Post by irthlingz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:06 am

JuanMacias wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:21 am
The link to your track don't work. make sure to enable the "public option".
You need a link like:
taxi.com/members/ ... the code for your user ... /songs/ ... the code for the song

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:32 am

Sorry guys, link only worked when I was using it. I need to check how to find song ID to get link working.. Anyway for now I uploaded to soundcloud and updated link in thread + link is also now here https://soundcloud.com/r2h-music/the-rise

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Return on listing for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi,
- I think you did a good job in identifying the components needed to make a track like the refs, and yes it build well. I hear a few things that might put the screener (and beyond) off the track though....
- occasional guitar notes a little out of time
- the epic drums sound a bit detached until the second half of the track
- the low synth entering at 30s sounds quite dated to me, as does the detuned synth at 1:06
- a 6m, 4, 1, 5 sequence or similar (especially when changing at 1 chord per bar) usually sounds overly familiar (as in cliche and tired), so not really compelling
- as the melody relies on those chord so its also likely to sound a bit tired.

These are just my opinions though, so see whether others say anything similar. I hope you find the answer you're looking for.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Return on listing for emotional trailer - I need to find where to pay attention

Post by Zaychi » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Yeah, the "dated" comment is about that 0:30 entering synth for sure. I have a bad ear for that, and even _I_ can hear it.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:03 pm

arska wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:32 am
Sorry guys, link only worked when I was using it.
You need a link like:
taxi.com/members/ ... the code for your user ... /songs/ ... the code for the song

Also this link in your signature doesn't work:
https://www.taxi.com/R2HMusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm

I think you've got the general idea but it's lacking in production quality, so that's as much an arrangement issue as it is a 'dated' sounds issue and it seems to lack a lot of the bells and whistles we expect from trailer music

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:03 pm
Hi,
- I think you did a good job in identifying the components needed to make a track like the refs, and yes it build well. I hear a few things that might put the screener (and beyond) off the track though....
- occasional guitar notes a little out of time
- the epic drums sound a bit detached until the second half of the track
- the low synth entering at 30s sounds quite dated to me, as does the detuned synth at 1:06
- a 6m, 4, 1, 5 sequence or similar (especially when changing at 1 chord per bar) usually sounds overly familiar (as in cliche and tired), so not really compelling
- as the melody relies on those chord so its also likely to sound a bit tired.

These are just my opinions though, so see whether others say anything similar. I hope you find the answer you're looking for.
Thanks so much for your comments!

Yes, drums are a bit orphan at the beginning agree.. and regarding that synth at 30s + detuned synth at 1:06, now that you pinpointed those - they are not from this decade but back 10-20 years. Chrod progression themselves could have worked if arranged not to change on every bar with similiar melody line. I kind of understood that melody is not the key in this listing but I guess too tired chord / melody progression still ruins the feeling even they are not especially looking for prominent melodiy - like listing says...

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:39 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm
I think you've got the general idea but it's lacking in production quality, so that's as much an arrangement issue as it is a 'dated' sounds issue and it seems to lack a lot of the bells and whistles we expect from trailer music
That bells and whistles I had to think for a while but now I get it =) Those usually highlighted sounds to bring certain anxiety and sense of anticipation and thrill into composition --> point taken. Thanks!

I've had couple of orchestral placements I think in TV-Show "The Challenge" it was... back on 2018. But even inside in this orchestral hybrid genre there are still quite a lot of variation depending on listing... I can't rely too much on sound selections etc concepts that proved to work for some listing even just recently - even inside same genre. That's one of the lessons.

Also it is very tempting to use same tracks and just modify them a bit for the new listing. But the risk is then that you will loose the momentum in the track and it can become "loose package" in lack of a better word =) Pieces not anymore working together if you try just change some sounds or arrange old track a bit different way. Many times building a new one would be better and even faster... Another lessons I've had during the years in Taxi....