Return Orff listing

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lucy
Active
Active

Return Orff listing

Post by lucy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:47 am

Hi there,

My tune Deus Rising was returned for this listing as off target which is cool. The reviewer also said the instrumentation was a bit static and midi. Could anyone have a listen and maybe suggest some tips as to how I could make it better? Thanks.

http://www.taxi.com/elor

Cheers
El

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Return Orff listing

Post by llama » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 am

Hey El. I only listened through twice but this is what I thought. Take it with as many grains of salt as warranted :D

Very nice build and momentum up to 1:33 then the strings that come in do sound midi and slightly off in timing. Sometimes when a note has a certain rise time to get to full volume for example with some string sounds and some brass sounds it helps to move the notes slightly ahead of the beat to accommodate this. Also at 1:33 the drums sounded wimpy. I wanted to hear a real big sound there. The brass at 1:58 also sounded midi to my ears.

It seems that the midi sounding problem is either your samples used for these elements are not up to snuff or if they are then try using different articulations on them. As well as varying the articulation over a phrase.

Also I thought the second part of this piece did not have the build and momentum as the first. And I agree it was a bit static. Using other instruments to carry the theme may partly solve this as well as varying the articulation on the instruments that are used but I think a little more thematic variation would help.

But I got to say I did enjoy the composition and thought this has a lot of potential.

Anyway, I hope this is useful for you and of course it is just my opinion so take it for what it is...

Best to you.

Derek.

lucy
Active
Active

Post by lucy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi Derek,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen. Everything you said makes perfect sense. I'll have another go at it and try to mix it up a bit. Regarding the samples I am just using the library that came with Logic Pro so perhaps it's time to invest in some more sample libraries! Thanks again for your time.

Cheers
El

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey El,

To make one suggestion: layer instruments. I have no idea what comes with Logic and you might not have enough articulations or sections to be able to layer without running into phase issues. For example, with sustained strings, I might use an 18 violin section on one track, an 11V on the next, and a 50piece on a third, all playing the same line but humanised separately and expression controlled individually. It thickens the sound and IMO, makes it sound more realistic as a group of players are not going to all hit the same note at the same time with exactly the same velocity (from the midi POV).

Also, the Logic instruments might blend in well to hybrid tracks or rock or whatever, but if you want to do orchestral stuff, you'll definitely need to invest in dedicated samples. I'm still using EWQL SO Gold and getting decent mileage from it as I learn more (starting as a complete beginner to orchestral). I know a lot of people around here started on it and have since moved on to more modern (and expensive) samples. I also blend it with the Kontakt VSL instruments. When I can afford some current libraries, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat. The point is, the bar keeps raising and to be competitive you have to follow.

Cheers.

tordenspyd
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tordenspyd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 am

lucy wrote:Hi there,
.<snip>
the instrumentation was a bit static and midi. Could anyone have a listen and maybe suggest some tips as to how I could make it better?
El
Making it in-fashion may be just as important.

If it is not in fashion, anything becomes a distraction unfortunately, so then many people are not able to enjoy the music and are only listening for clues that it is 'not real'. Making it in fashion may be the most efficient way to get your music heard.

I agree that the old school way of making an ensemble effect, suggested by Criciform, by recording individually many tracks with different samples, can be a way of making it sound more interesting. It can also make it sound worse.

It also matters a lot how you write your music. A working composer may often have to consider the orchestra s/he is writing for. The instrumentation may be limited and the capability of the players have their limitation. It is not a good thing to write a piece that the orchestra playing it can not handle. Similarly, you should make music which sounds good with the sound library you have.

I know many that are using the symphonic orchestra samples that are bundled with Logic Pro and that are making wonderful music.( some also not of course) But the best of them limit themselves to what sounds good.

In your track the opening staccato string section is very exposed, It is very vulnerable and easy to criticize for those looking for clues. You may try to avoid those situations, at the same time as you improve on them. In Logic you have different string sections and you have different solo instruments, you can even blend in Quick Time instruments. Make each note a different blend. In your track the consecutive staccato notes sound too similar to each other. That is often considered boring for psyco-acoustical reasons. Record every track separately, don't copy and paste. I personally think one should try out and get reasonable results with this (old school) technique preferably before, but at least in addition to getting expensive plugin libraries that can use scripts for automatic alteration of samples.

Oh, these were just some personal opinions. I don't know what I am talking about
I don't make orchestral music, but I have -a long time ago.

peace..

lucy
Active
Active

Post by lucy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone for great advice. I am going to keep working on the track using some of the techniques mentioned. I was actually using the intro to Handel's Zadok the Priest as inspiration rather that Carmina Burana so completely off target amongst other things :) Anyway back to work!

Cheers
El