Return - Please agree or disagree and say why!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Return - Please agree or disagree and say why!

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:35 am

Hello All-
I have been listening to the old timers on here, and learning, and tucking my ego in my back pocket..... I have already made the mistake of sending in existing tracks that do not sound close enough to the reference tracks, etc...
I have also started to write to the brief, and study the reference tracks.... I did all of this on this listing, and it was returned for the pickiest of reasons, and I just do not agree with the screener at all... I am completely baffled on this one, as I thought it to be a sure thing! My normally critical wife thought it to be a slam dunk, my friends and family over Thanksgiving thought that it would be forwarded for sure, etc etc.... Please....let me know if you agree with this return or not, and why?

S231205VN - (White Stripes soundalike Instrumental)

What I like most about this song
Nice riff and guitar tone on this tune.

I think you could improve this song by
The production as a whole could come through more raw and indie leaning. I like the guitar tone, but would suggest working with drums to stylize the track closer to songs like "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes.

I returned or forwarded this song because
There could be a more raw, indie rock energy in place for this request. Overall a little too composer driven.

https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... battle-cry

Flame away!!!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Return - Please agree or disagree and say why!

Post by AlanHall » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 am

First comment: great track, very nice work! I wouldn't change a thing... unless I heard a key change near the end. Did I? Editors don't like that. They wouldn't be able to splice the big finish onto an earlier phrase if the key isn't the same.

I have to agree with the screener on the critique; but I would say things like "you did too good of a job", "your track is more intricate than requested", "you could have stopped halfway and it would have been closer", etc., etc.

Jack White does do overdubs, but most of the work is a single guitar with a pog (octavizer) to get that thick, in-yer-face effect. The 'raw' sound that the screener wanted. Much simpler than the track you provided.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:19 am

Thank you for taking the time to review this for me Jack..... Yeah, I thought about the EHX Pog effect, but decided against it at the last minute, because I liked the guitar tone in and of itself, and thought that the screener might not like it..(Mistake). It seems like the screener takes issue with the drum production more than anything else, and I did go out of my way to find a vintage kit, and smash the bejesus out of it, and kept it dry too.... The "Overall too composer driven" comment is baffling to me as well....what does that mean exactly? I mean, aren't we all composers? lol

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:07 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:19 am
The "Overall too composer driven" comment is baffling to me as well....what does that mean exactly? I mean, aren't we all composers? lol
I've never heard of that particular comment, but I think it's an 'intended audience' thing. I like your track, you and your audience like it, the screener did too - but thought it was too clean, or too intricate, or whatever.. for the listing. More appealing to a "composer", who would appreciate the work you put into it than to a "beer-swilling, face-paint wielding rabid sports fan" (I'm just guessing as to what the listing was for).

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:11 am

Great points Alan. I wish that they would put more information like that in a listing such as this....... Because I could have certainly dumbed it down alot more! lol

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:52 pm

Hi Brad, sorry to hear about the return on this. I think you did a really good job of performing and producing this, however I would have to agree with the screener about the composition, it's a bit complex as opposed to hammering away at one super catchy riff, like the reference tracks do. I submitted two tracks and had one returned for sounding too well-produced, so they were really looking for that powerful, raw sound on this one. It's a good track though, and I'm sure you will find a home for it!

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:38 pm

Hi Bradley... simply reading this thread, then a few bits into your track: my first REACTION to all the input was:
"Oh - they want this song - but sounding like they're hearing it as they're walking by a garage in the neighborhood where a band is jammin' their rehearsal...
not like they're in a recording studio."
i.e. - the same, only raw. (I was gonna write 'rawer' - but that's probably not a word.)
:? 8-)

Good stuff... it'll find a home, like Douglas commented.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:46 am

great track bradley! composition is great, reminds me of classic rock zz top type vibes...hold on to it

based on my exp from library briefs with "white stripes/garage rock" as ref, ive noticed they are looking for 2 main points (i cannot speak for the taxi screener, just my observation from libs i work with that actually guide you to revise how they want it)

- a strong, memorable, and focused bluesy guitar riff (chordal or melodic) as the sole main idea and centerpiece that drives the track (as mentioned POG or any octaver/fuzz combo is so dominant in this genre)

- a raw, indie vibe that coats the track. not sure per your recording process, but the way i do it without having a band in the studio recorded live, with mic bleeds and all, is with lofi techniques to cut the hifiness and give more of a "vinyl" touch (more low mids heavy), and reverbs/delays to make the track gel and become more cohesive (almost washy like shoegaze)

for me whenever i hear the terms "indie" or "raw" i think low-budget, dirty, and a roomy/spacey production. again lord knows what the screener might have meant, nor can i assure anything i mentioned will lead you closer to the bar. just giving you ideas to ponder that have worked for me whenever i encounter such terms...then again i can be totally on point with one lib yet totally off target with another so YMMV due to the nature of the biz....good luck

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:17 am

Agree with the screener, I'm not getting a White Stripes vibe from this. If I'd not known then I would never have thought they were the main reference.

Partly it's because the guitars are not raw and in your face enough, same with the drums.

Partly because the hook isn't there for me either and the chords sound a bit jazzy which is maybe what the screener ment by composer lead.

I have a good guitarist friend that has a degree in music, and sometimes he used to suffer with the same problem when we did Taxi listings. Using complex chords on straight ahead rock tunes because he has all this knowledge instead of just playing something more simple.

Keep the track for something else but I don't think it was right for this one.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:48 am

Thanks to all for your comments, they are certainly helpful! I guess that I have never really understood the "Jack White" thing.... musically or production-wise. I also confuse "broadcast quality" with "raw" I suppose and yes, I have a hard time dumbing down guitar parts any more than what was recorded here! lol
But some great pointers here that I will certainly build on for the next time something like this comes across - Thanks again