Return question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

Return question

Post by bassman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am

I just got a track returned from Taxi which is a bummer.
4 weeks ago I signed a non-exclusive deal (not through Taxi) for the same track with a good company who
reject an exceptionally high proportion of submissions and who also do listings with Taxi.

Apart from difference in opinion, what could a possible explanation be?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Return question

Post by davewalton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm

bassman wrote:I just got a track returned from Taxi which is a bummer.
4 weeks ago I signed a non-exclusive deal (not through Taxi) for the same track with a good company who
reject an exceptionally high proportion of submissions and who also do listings with Taxi.

Apart from difference in opinion, what could a possible explanation be?
If you can, please post (a) the listing, (b) the critique, and (c) the song itself. Without knowing anything about the listing or the song it would be impossible to say anything that could be helpful. ;) Generally speaking, a song that's perfect for one listing may not be so perfect for another listing. It's not just about the song itself but the song as it relates to the listing. A Maserati is a great car but a blue Maserati isn't that great for a guy looking for a red one (if that analogy makes any sense).

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fret17 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Just a guess here bassman....but I think it comes down to the unavoidable opinion of who screens no matter where it's sent....I've heard horror stories of places where the screeners were 14 year old girls and asked to pick songs they liked cause they're the market!....(Don't know if it's true tho)....I think everyone does the best they can at what they do....some days, they're better....but I think there are tons of people in the music business who don't know what they want until they hear it. A lot of this , I guess is luck and timing when we're this far away from the core...Hey it got signed!...That alone should tell you someone in the business sees it's value...some people never get signed but they try anyway....consider yourself fortunate that you've got recognized for your talent!....peaceout!
fret17

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:08 pm

fret17 wrote:Just a guess here bassman....but I think it comes down to the unavoidable opinion of who screens no matter where it's sent....I've heard horror stories of places where the screeners were 14 year old girls and asked to pick songs they liked cause they're the market!....(Don't know if it's true tho)....
Noooo... not with Taxi at least ;)

Several years ago another forum member and myself had the opportunity to visit Taxi for several days and we were given access to poke around, ask questions, actually go through a bit of the screener training process, even "pretend screen" some music. The screening process (to be a screener) is pretty intensive and they're all very much professionals (some of whom you can meet at the Taxi Rally... talk to them and you'll have a whole different perspective on who these people are). Think of it from the listing clients perspective. Would the major labels continue to trust Taxi to deliver quality target music if the screeners where a goofy group of high school kids? Taxi gets repeat business from the listing clients because they deliver the cream of the crop music from the huge amount of submissions.

Anyway, back to being able to actually give some meaning help to the original question... can't really be done without the listing, critique (if there is one) and the song. ;)

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bassman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks Dave

I am trying to attach an mp3 but keeps rejecting it. Is it possible to attach mp3s to this forum?

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 pm

No mp3s allowed in the forum. Post a link to your mp3 file like your Taxi website.
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fret17 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Dave.....I never meant to imply that the screeners at Taxi were in any way shape or form connected to the horror story...I was using it as a very extreme left field example of mearly stating that it will always fall on someone's opinion if they are given the power of yes or no...taxi or otherwise....I was suggesting that just because it got signed somewhere else doesn't nessessarily make it an obvious yes everywhere else.....but your dead on...we need more info bassman

fret17

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:37 pm

fret17 wrote:Dave.....I never meant to imply that the screeners at Taxi were in any way shape or form connected to the horror story..
Oh I know... I gave the little emoticon "winky-blinky" to hopefully convey that. Was having a bit of fun. :D

bassman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bassman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 pm

O.k, so here it is. I've had a truck load of placements with this type of music in the past 6 years on holiday programs, 1 commercial, property programs, anything to do with sun /sea/sand so I would have thought it would fit for this listing.
The track is called "Sundance".
My taxi page: http://www.taxi.com/peterlarsenmusic

The listing: ELECTRONICA/AMBIENT/CHILLOUT SONGS/INSTRUMENTALS a la the variety of Air, Thievery Corporation, etc., are urgently needed by a major Media Company based in the UK whose clients include major Ad, Film and TV companies including Amazon, Nokia, ABC, Virgin Megastores, MGM, Showtime, etc. Tracks should be current-sounding with a fresh and unique style. Vocal and instrumental presentation must be top-notch! If your music is selected, music will be used for film/TV/commercial/documentary projects. Non-exclusive deal, you retain 100% of all rights. You must own full rights to songs, including master rights and performance/mechanical rights. Broadcast quality is needed (excellent sounding home recordings are fine.) Please submit one to three songs or instrumentals online or per CD, include lyrics (if applicable) . All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Thursday, May 6, 2010. TAXI #Y100506EL

Critique: There might be more variety in the elements used for more dynamic change and contrast.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 pm

They want dynamic change and contrast in an ambient/chill piece? :lol: "No critiques" sometimes means the listing party screens the submissions; my take is he didn't like yours, or liked another better. (sure doesn't read like a Taxi critique) There's a relatively limited palette of sounds in your track compared to other electronica genres, but I think it's pretty consistent with ambient chill-not an expert, here, so... :roll:
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone