Returns and Forwards

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Returns and Forwards

Post by crs7string » Sat May 19, 2007 2:45 am

On several occasions I've submitted the same material for similar listings. I just received three returns and negative comments on the compositions and production.These same three pieces were forwarded about a month ago with glowing reviews.This continues to remind me how we all draw our own opinions on music based on our own frame of reference. There is no absolute right or wrong.The thing that gets a little confusing is should I take the suggestions of the returns reviewer and make changes on the pieces based on his opinion or stick with what I've done based on the forwarded reviews.One, somewhat recurring , annoyance from critiques is the "update your sounds" comment. (this seems to be becoming a review "cliche")These latest returns (these were New Age listings) used:East West Quantum Leap RAStylus RMX (with Ethno Techno expander)TrilogyKorg OasysEMU Planet Earth Storm DrumMotu Etno InstrumentCan anyone offer any suggestions on how I can update these sound sources?Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Returns and Forwards

Post by davewalton » Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 am

Quote:On several occasions I've submitted the same material for similar listings. I just received three returns and negative comments on the compositions and production.These same three pieces were forwarded about a month ago with glowing reviews.The thing that gets a little confusing is should I take the suggestions of the returns reviewer and make changes on the pieces based on his opinion or stick with what I've done based on the forwarded reviews.One, somewhat recurring , annoyance from critiques is the "update your sounds" comment. (this seems to be becoming a review "cliche")These latest returns (these were New Age listings) used:East West Quantum Leap RAStylus RMX (with Ethno Techno expander)TrilogyKorg OasysEMU Planet Earth Storm DrumMotu Etno InstrumentOne thing that's true is that a glowing review for a certain listing will turn into something less when submitting for a listing that requires a higher bar.Now, having said that, it can get confusing. Paula and Randy says the performance was outstanding... Simon said it stunk. Certainly all three are very experienced and regardless of the personal aspect of Simon, he's right a lot of the time. So when you're the singer, what are you to conclude? In a Taxi rally session, a person was talking about things in our recordings we know exist (improvements or fixing mistakes) but really haven't dealt with. I had a lot of those at that time. I still do and I have less but really, secretly, I know where they are.Some things in my critiques I know are true even though I may not really agree voluntarily. Other things I know aren't true... the reviewer was "off". The rest fall in the middle and I'm not sure. I try to get an overall sense from all of the critiques and weigh that against the issue in question. If no one says anything about my french horn and one reviewer says "maybe an oboe would work better", I *might* try an oboe but if it doesn't sound obviously better to me I go with my sense and that of the other critiques.I probably raised more questions than I answered. HTH,Dave

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Returns and Forwards

Post by crs7string » Sat May 19, 2007 9:17 am

Here is one of the pieces and the two critiques:(By the way this was not the listing with the "update your sounds" comments)http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songind ... 89Critique 1 (resulted in a forward:Hello Chuck, Song #1:Once There Was Light , moody new age flute tune. Good groove and programming. The simple melody works well. New Age Ethnic FusionStyle On target for this listing Sound Quality Well - recorded The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: melodic ethnic fusion with cool grooves and excellent sound quality Forwarding!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Critique 2: Resulted in a return:cool sounds and a good groove. This tune would be stronger for this listing if you placed more emphasis on the melodic structure and less on switching between instruments. song #1; cool sounds and exotic percussion make for a nice World Music approach. The melody is quite sparse and would be stronger if you were to craft a more distinct 'verse/ chorus' contrast with a hook, etc. Some of the cool sounds are just a little out of tune with each other and wouldn't be appropriate for a high bar listing on that basis, alone. I would encourage closer scrutiny there. cool sounds in song #1, though there intonation issues. The flute is flat from the string samples, for example. It's not at all unusual for samples to need fine- tuning. For the above noted reasons, I wouldn't be able to forward for this particular listing. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Any feedback is welcome.I'm not upset about this at all, this piece was forwarded already, how can I not celebrate that acheivement. Another piece that I had returned by this same reviewer has already been forwarded twice. My "children" just need to find the right home.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington