Reusing older Songs

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Reusing older Songs

Post by melodea » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:07 pm

One of the things said in Taxi 101 TV episode was, that it’s better not to use old compositions because they would sound outdated. I have some material written years ago (unpolished) which I would like to reproduce with more contemporary sounds and grooves. I know the songs are good but need fresher sounds. Has someone had success with reloading older material despite the tipp not to do so?
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Reusing older Songs

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:34 pm

MHO is songs can be reused with production/arrangement to make them more contemporary. I've done it a lot. A great melody can be produced A LOT of ways. Lyrics may need re-write to sound fresh, young, contemporary. Be careful though... The underlying copyright is the same. So if the older version is signed exclusively somewhere, you can't sign the new version anywhere else.

Best,
8-) Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:45 am

I always think I am constantly improving so anything I made several years ago will not be as good as anything new I write now because of what I have learned since then.

Mark

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:11 am

Thanks guys! True that my production abilities increased a lot over time, I have better sounds and understanding of arrangements and so on. BUT I listend to old songs I composed and produced, that never made it anywhere because of different reasons and I'm like: "Dang! Thats a cool song despite the production sounding aged." I think a good song, strong melodies and overall good feel of a song can't really get too dated to not be reused and given a new chance to make people happy.
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser