Review/Crit most welcome for my new song:

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Review/Crit most welcome for my new song:

Post by 53mph » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am

I'd be really happy to hear any opinions (even harsh ones - I'm thick skinned ) for a new track I've just knocked up.The track is called Lady Luck (Suddenly) and can be found at: http://www.broadjam.com/53mphIt's the first track on my homepage.I've got my own ideas on what could do with cleaning up but I'd really appreciate some raw feedback from fresh ears.Thanks in advance.Phil

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Review/Crit most welcome for my new song:

Post by hummingbird » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Hey - it would be nice to see the lyrics here, that would help with giving feedback. I'm feeling that the vocals are too far back in the mix, and I can't make out the words. It seems to me that the hook is "Suddenly". As a voice teacher, I'd recommend that when you go up on the lift just before the chorus, that you not push the voice for volume, but that you go there sweetly & easily. There is a nice groove to this, and I can hear some interesting elements but I think you need to work on the mix. I'd be interested in hearing it again after you work on it some more.cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:31 pm

I agree with hummingbird completely your voice is to far back in the mix ( for one thing ) and that the volume increase of the lift/pre-chorus has an uncomfortable " god i want that note " quality to it, maybe a bit out of your range? Other points in the song suffer the same fate ... I'm sure you know where they are So this song definitely needs some reworking - not sure you you need to go for sweet and easy, but less forced would be a great improvement. Another point along these same lines is that a lift generally sets the tone for the approaching chorus ( giving us something to look forward to) i don't feel that happening here - especially not as you intended ON a demi- positive note ...i do appreciate your attempt to create contrast between your lift and other portions of your melody ... but left untamed - i find it inappropriate for this song. Enjoy the journey RanG

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:59 pm

I just got round to checking my thread.Thanks for the input Hummingbird and RanG.I'm certainly not a trained vocalist so the vocal range in this song was a bit of a struggle for me; I'm usually more of a Lou Reed off-note type of singer. I'm not really going to be able to rework it though until I've built an isolation booth....unfortunately I have grumpy neighbours who never go out and who don't take too kindly to loud vocals at any time of the day.A question for Vikki: When trying to hit high or hard notes, are there any techniques? I try to visualise the notes and 'feel' the physical stretching in my vocal chords. Almost like tuning a guitar string. I find this helps me feel the note instead of hearing it, as high notes can often sound deceptive to my ear at loud volumes.Thanks again.

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:33 am

Quote:I just got round to checking my thread.Thanks for the input Hummingbird and RanG.I'm certainly not a trained vocalist so the vocal range in this song was a bit of a struggle for me; I'm usually more of a Lou Reed off-note type of singer. I'm not really going to be able to rework it though until I've built an isolation booth....unfortunately I have grumpy neighbours who never go out and who don't take too kindly to loud vocals at any time of the day.A question for Vikki: When trying to hit high or hard notes, are there any techniques? I try to visualise the notes and 'feel' the physical stretching in my vocal chords. Almost like tuning a guitar string. I find this helps me feel the note instead of hearing it, as high notes can often sound deceptive to my ear at loud volumes.Thanks again.Before the "real" pro answers.Get to know your top note and when you are singing live or recording stay a couple of notes below it.My official note is Bb but I never go above a high E so my voice doesn.t crackYou can improve your upper register by doing what I call the twilight zone,(your neighbours will love this)Start aaahhhing a couple of tones below your official top note so it's starting note then a semitone down back to starting note and then a semitone up until you are out of breath.Then move the exercise up a semitone.don't push it.(legal disclaimer))) lolThe biggie to get a powerful top note is make sure you have produced the note before you get your body behind it.You must sing everyday and warm up first. I am sure Vikki will have much more information when Canada wakes up!!!Mick.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:37 am

"A question for Vikki: When trying to hit high or hard notes, are there any techniques? I try to visualise the notes and 'feel' the physical stretching in my vocal chords. Almost like tuning a guitar string. I find this helps me feel the note instead of hearing it, as high notes can often sound deceptive to my ear at loud volumes."If you're singing with a mic, make sure the mic is located beneath you and reaches up to your lips, so you don't have to lift your head. Also, make sure you are not pushing the voice for volume... phrases should be initiated gently, on the moving breath. Look for quality, not quantity.Keep all your words within the frame of an open 'oh' vowel - try to avoid singing in shapes that are wide & flat, sing in shapes that are tall and round. Looking for a 'round' sound focuses the tone and has less affect on the vocal chords.I would suggest practicing singing phrases that access the upper voice on 'boh, boh' boh', looking in the mirror to be sure your shoulders are down/relaxed, that your head is in a neutral position (chin not lifted), that you are pursing the lips slightly in a round 'o' shape. The 'b' helps move the voice forward, the shape helps focus the tone, your observation in the mirror helps you become more aware of your typical habits. When going 'up' to a note, you need to 'picture' it beneath you, not above you. Practice this by singing the phrase on 'boh boh boh' with a good shape and BEND YOUR KNEES as you travel up to the note. Also work on singing more 'legato' - with a sense that the PHRASE is fluid & the pitches are part of that fluidness (sing like you imagine a violin or cello would play the line), and the energy you sing it with never slows... a good way to practice that is to walk forward with purpose as you are singing up the scale. Too often we slow the energy by going up steps, closing the jaw, and stretching.In other words, I'm suggesting that, instead of imaging the vocal chords "stretching", you image the notes as described above. I'm also suggesting you practice this not on the words, but on a syllable - "boh"Once the phrase is feeling good on "boh" then sing the phrase wtih the words - concentrating on the vowel sounds in the words, keeping the consonants crisp, and not allowing the consonants to affect the vowel.The voice is a muscle so it is important that we sing everyday to keep it in shape. If you've never had voice lessons and don't know any exercises to do, then sing a couple of songs in your middle voice that are really comfortable -- on syllables like "beh", "boh", "bah" ... looking for the items suggested above.That's probably more info than you expected.... but hope it makes some sense (coffee time!)cheersHummin'birdPS - don't drink coffee, alcohol, or carbonated drinks before singing/recording.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website