Reviewers assumptions

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Reviewers assumptions

Post by davewalton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:34 am

Quote:At least I know I am a 9 out of 10 flutist (not bad for my very first solo flute recording ever).Yes, and that's very important. I'm not trying to lecture, etc, but what I did that seemed to work well, is that once I had the quality issue out of the way (as you appear to have done), I tried to focus on the issue of either writing music to match the listing or of submitting existing music to match the listing. That's easily 50% of the equation. Another thing real quick. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, if you had submitted something in some way where the flute wasn't just a solo, if that cut gets picked up by the listing party you can always offer the track with solo instrument only or background instrument only or whatever as additional cuts to the original. Most always they will be glad to include those alternative recordings once you've got your foot in the door with what they really wanted to begin with. FWIW, Dave

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:15 am

Quote:Quote:At least I know I am a 9 out of 10 flutist (not bad for my very first solo flute recording ever).Yes, and that's very important. I'm not trying to lecture, etc, but what I did that seemed to work well, is that once I had the quality issue out of the way (as you appear to have done), I tried to focus on the issue of either writing music to match the listing or of submitting existing music to match the listing. That's easily 50% of the equation. Another thing real quick. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, if you had submitted something in some way where the flute wasn't just a solo, if that cut gets picked up by the listing party you can always offer the track with solo instrument only or background instrument only or whatever as additional cuts to the original. Most always they will be glad to include those alternative recordings once you've got your foot in the door with what they really wanted to begin with. FWIW, DaveThis is all very well put, but...Like I mentioned my flute does not play with other instruments because it is an ethnic instrument made by some woodcarver in the Andes, yet it sounds fantastic. There is music that is not 440 and sequenced. Please Yahoo my name "Franz Pusch" to get an idea what I have done and who I am affiliated with. This will save you more posting about telling me what's important when it comes to music.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:34 am

Quote:Please Yahoo my name "Franz Pusch" to get an idea what I have done and who I am affiliated with. This will save you more posting about telling me what's important when it comes to music.No point... I hear you loud and clear.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:44 am

Hi Franz,please read the listing again:Quote:Relaxing, MELODIC INSTRUMENTAL COMPOSITIONS are wanted by an Austrian Production Co. for CD compilations to be used in European Wellness Hotels. He wants smooth, flowing melodic music and mentions "no jazzy elements, no solo piano or guitar only, no heavy drums and no loud effects." He said the most preferred lead instruments should be acoustic or soft electric guitar and piano. Their deal includes a non-exclusive license as well as mechanical royalties paid based on the number of units sold. Broadcast Quality needed [great-sounding home recording OK]. Please submit one to three songs per CD/online. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Jan. 3, 2007.TAXI # S070103NA The listing clearly states: "...the most preferred lead instruments should be acoustic or soft electric guitar and piano..."Use of that term obviously indicates compositions need to have more than just one instrument to be useful for this particular listing party. I think reading should definitely be a prerequisite for being a Taxi screener...but the same goes for members too. matto

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 am

Quote:Quote:the art of matching the song to the listing. Isn't that what we are paying Laskow for? That's a publisher's gig not an artist's gig.If this is true then you can only be a Taxi member if you are a publisher composers not welcome. The art of matching the song to the listing means, you, as a Taxi member, need to target your submissions effectively. As Matt posted, the listing was asking for a particular kind of instrumentation that your submission did not have. That does not mean your work is not good. It just means your submission did not match the requirements of the listing.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 am

Quote:I think reading should definitely be a prerequisite for being a Taxi screener...but the same goes for members too. No, members only have to pay. Reading is not required in any rules to be a taxi member. I pay so you have to put up with my crap. That's called business.prefer .. to promote or advance to a rank or position. (Websters)A preference does not exclude all other options automatically. It has been stated that music supervisors are very vague, so they really don't know what they want until they hear it. So you are promoting a "Don't try, dismiss first" policy.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:43 am

Quote:No, members only have to pay. Reading is not required in any rules to be a taxi member. I pay so you have to put up with my crap. That's called business.Okay now you're just making a fool of yourself...btw why would you paying Taxi mean *I* have to put up with "your crap"? I'm just a member....with decent reading skills...speaking of which:Quote:prefer .. to promote or advance to a rank or position. (Websters)A preference does not exclude all other options automatically. It has been stated that music supervisors are very vague, so they really don't know what they want until they hear it. So you are promoting a "Don't try, dismiss first" policy.You're still not reading it. It's not about "prefer", it's about the term "LEAD INSTRUMENT"...might wanna a look that one up in Webster's...This listing was not placed by a music supervisor (it says so in the listing), and the listing party was everything BUT vague in describing what they wanted.And nobody is blaming you for "trying", but if you submit something that doesn't fit the parameters as specified in the listing, don't blame the screener and whine about not being forwarded...

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:26 pm

matto,I was not complaining about not being forwarded. Please READ my post at the top. The moral of the story is: neither the reviewer (as clearly expressed by the summary) nor myself read the listing correctly. I can deal with the fact that I don't know but I paid. On the other hand the reviewer haveing to come to conclusions about a listing is not agood thing.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Quote:The moral of the story is: neither the reviewer (as clearly expressed by the summary) nor myself read the listing correctly. I can deal with the fact that I don't know but I paid. On the other hand the reviewer haveing to come to conclusions about a listing is not agood thing.I think the screener was just being polite. He didn't wanna say "Franz, it says LEAD INSTRUMENT, why are you submitting a solo performance?!"Some people try to be polite you know, instead of accusing others of being unable to read or of generally being incompetent.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Wow, I feel better about all the times I thought I was being a stiff, sarcastic a$$(0) on this board in the past! It turns out I'm pretty nice by comparison. JD, can I offer you a cup of tea? Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.