We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

REVISED action cue

Post by johndalenow » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:09 pm

"Hammer Down"

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... dhgCWRsqz7

ACTION HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hard-working Music Library that’s always landing placements in TV Shows, Film projects, and Movie Trailers & TV Promos!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references we got directly from them:

"Automa" by Mattia Turzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgB6R6 ... e=youtu.be

MORTAL Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tKumbN ... tu.be&t=39

Please submit well-composed Action Hybrid Instrumental Cues that could turn up the intensity of a scene to "eleven" by combining bombastic percussive, electronic, and orchestral elements together seamlessly. Craft your submissions around a singular motif and mood, and layer instruments and sounds in and out to create a sense of forward movement and dynamics. Any and all software sounds or samples you utilize should be state-of-the-art and current-sounding – nothing that sounds dated, obviously quantized, or MIDI-driven will work for this pitch. They're looking for stuff that might feel at home in a huge action or thriller film!

Submissions should be between 45 to 90 seconds long, give or take. Non-faded, Stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 Deal. You’ll get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of sync fees and 100% of the Publisher’s Share. You’ll keep 100% of the original copyright and master recording. You must own or control the Master and Copyright to submit to this pitch. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. Time permitting, someone from the Publishing Company may screen some or all of the submissions. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, September 26th, 2020. TAXI # S200926AH
Last edited by johndalenow on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Re: REVISED action cue

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:30 am

Last edited by crashgates on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am

I am not sure if it's a good thing to go to a break with a fade, I think more of a stinger break will win you a forward..not %100 sure but I think the film editors like to edit the volume and fades and also I listened to it pretty loud and the percussion didn't hit me in the face and knock me out of my chair.

Good luck

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:35 am

PDebik wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:03 am
Thank you for sharing. This was interesting for me to listen to. I think it's two cues in one. The one ending at 0' 31' with a new one starting at that time. I am unexperienced enough with it that I am unable to say whether that is a good thing or not, but I like the second part more than the first. One thing I noticed though is that the flanger/stinger at the end starts a bit too late, maybe move it a bit so that it starts on the last tone of the score. Currently it's starting after the track is already finished.
Thank you for your insights and suggestions. I'll review a few things. Best! JD

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 am

crashgates wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:30 am
Sorry John

Still not keen on that swishing thing at the beginning. Just doesn't sound right :( Its definitely nowhere near the same league as Tom's Xmas Pad (Sorry Tom love your work ) but nevertheless just seems artificial for some reason, maybe someone else here can offer a better explanation or maybe I am not seeing the big picture. (the rest of the cue sounds fine)
When you say "swishing" are you referring to the first thing heard which are percussive "hits?"

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:42 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am
I am not sure if it's a good thing to go to a break with a fade, I think more of a stinger break will win you a forward..not %100 sure but I think the film editors like to edit the volume and fades and also I listened to it pretty loud and the percussion didn't hit me in the face and knock me out of my chair.

Good luck
Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment. Best! JD

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 am

Last edited by crashgates on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:25 pm

crashgates wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 am
JDM wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 am
When you say "swishing" are you referring to the first thing heard which are percussive "hits?"
yes if that's what they are

just thinking maybe a real hammer/or sword swoop might be an alternative or even some bad ass kettle drums could help
I changed-out the Perc Hits for Real Big Drums. Thought you might like it better. Just click below.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... dhgCWRsqz7

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am

Last edited by crashgates on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:00 am

crashgates wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am
Thanks John much appreciated, but I feel the better question to ask is if you think it's better. I can give you all the ideas until the cows come home but you as the composer have the final say. Nevertheless It does sounds better to my ears now, however I would still like to hear something like the drum/brass arrangement/intro starting @ 30sec mark of this clip.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mortal+combat ... QFZC6dzauM
Your comment brought it to my attention, but it was my intention to make it sound more like the first reference that convinced me to make the change. Thanks for your help. Often it's the "extra set of ears" that helps one to see the forest in spite of all the trees. Best! JD