Ribbon, tube or plain condenser ?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Ribbon, tube or plain condenser ?

Post by Gillihan » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 am

What vocal mic is y'all's favorite and why? looking to get a really quality yet affordable one. I use AKG perception mics . I have a few different models ( great for acoustic instruments) but looking for something more for vocals :geek: :ugeek: .

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ribbon, tube or plain condenser ?

Post by AlanHall » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:29 pm

I think many responses will state it depends quite a bit on the singer and their vocal style, as well as the genre of music.

My only "quality" mic is an AT4050 large-diaphragm condenser with switchable polar patterns, with rolloff and pad switches. I use a pair for all kinds of acoustic recording, and I also use one for vocals - when I want as pristine a sound as I can get. When I'm NOT looking for jazzy clean vocals, I might grab a kick drum mic or an SM58 (of course!) and put some live-concert-esque signal chain FX on it. I guess my M.O. is to experiment with what I have, and read up on what others have done.

Are you aiming for a particular vocal target sound? More details will help zero in on the responses you get.

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm

I am looking for mostly a good country and rock vocal sound. I get a pretty good one with my AKG's like I said. It just seems like them new country vocals are a mile wide and 4miles deeper!! lol you can here the emotion right down to the saliva in their mouth. I can get a lot like it with mix down (penciling in volume etc in places) but everything sounds better if it goes to hard drive that way to begin with and then tweaking is enhancement beyond. examples: Morgan Wallen's newest stuff, And Zack Williams last album is amazing vocal tones ..Blake Shelton "boy's round here"

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:24 am

Gillihan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm
It just seems like them new country vocals are a mile wide and 4miles deeper!! lol you can here the emotion right down to the saliva in their mouth. examples: Morgan Wallen's newest stuff, And Zack Williams last album is amazing vocal tones ..Blake Shelton "boy's round here"
Yes! It may be that a deep dive into modern Nashville vocal recording chains is indicated here. There are a few folks on the forum with Nashville roots, and others that have studied the techniques. I recommend starting another thread with that flagged for discussion. In the meantime, I hope folks chime in here. My assumption is that a large-diaphragm condenser is used for male vocals in the studio, but a good second choice would be a purpose-built built mic like the RE-20, used the world over in broadcast studios to get that classic 'voiceover announcer' vibe. Whatever mic you use, work it to see where position (close<->far), angle (dead on<->across the mic), gain (padding) can be used for good results. I'm tempted to speak above my experience level and say that a lot of what you hear is in the signal chain downstream of the mic: choice of preamp (tube or not), de-esser, compression, etc.. Hoping to get some good contributions to this discussion, I'd like to be educated a bit here too! ;)

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:15 am

AlanHall wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:24 am
Gillihan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm
It just seems like them new country vocals are a mile wide and 4miles deeper!! lol you can here the emotion right down to the saliva in their mouth. examples: Morgan Wallen's newest stuff, And Zack Williams last album is amazing vocal tones ..Blake Shelton "boy's round here"
Yes! It may be that a deep dive into modern Nashville vocal recording chains is indicated here. There are a few folks on the forum with Nashville roots, and others that have studied the techniques. I recommend starting another thread with that flagged for discussion. In the meantime, I hope folks chime in here. My assumption is that a large-diaphragm condenser is used for male vocals in the studio, but a good second choice would be a purpose-built built mic like the RE-20, used the world over in broadcast studios to get that classic 'voiceover announcer' vibe. Whatever mic you use, work it to see where position (close<->far), angle (dead on<->across the mic), gain (padding) can be used for good results. I'm tempted to speak above my experience level and say that a lot of what you hear is in the signal chain downstream of the mic: choice of preamp (tube or not), de-esser, compression, etc.. Hoping to get some good contributions to this discussion, I'd like to be educated a bit here too! ;)
for sure!!! This is what I love about this community ! People don't share secrets in the club/touring musician scene very often . And rarely help you.( very clicky and harsh out there ) I love this musical unity I have found in the songwriting world. I have been a writer my whole life, but I never did more than write for my bands . I was always too bust trying to be saw!! LOL I much rather be heard by people that know what they are talking about and actually do it also. My goal now is to have people record my songs and they can have the lime light!! I wanna stay in my studio and create . Thanks man.