RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

Post by jdstamper » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm a Cakewalk / Sonar user since it started in DOS :D ... still using Sonar Platinum which was the newest version prior Bandlab. I haven't installed from Bandlab yet, because I just haven't needed to, I think it is virtually identical to Platinum.

I have many years of existing projects in Sonar, there's too much effort to convert them to a new DAW, so I expect I'll maintain Sonar for a long time even if I move to another DAW.

I'm kind of watching & waiting & biding my time to see how well Bandlab will manage Cakewalk

I bought Studio One V3 (when it briefly seemed Sonar was gone for good) but I haven't installed it, so that's my "plan B". Studio One V4 has some nice features but isn't a must have for me.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
http://www.taxi.com/jimstamper

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 am

jdstamper wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm
I think it is virtually identical to Platinum.
Well it is but it's had a years worth of bug fixes, stability updates and new features , there's no reason not to really.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... es.01.html

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks, I had not seen that consolidated list of enhancements, that's helpful, and you make a good point.

I do plan to update this year ... when I upgrade to a new Windows 10 PC. My current Windows 7 PC is 9 years old, and has evolved, due to issues with other hardware / software, into a somewhat non-standard config that has a low tolerance for change. So if it ain't broke ... I don't want to mess with it.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
http://www.taxi.com/jimstamper

Rockinpop

Post by Rockinpop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

I've been using Sonar Platinum for several years and just downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab after logging into Cakewalk, for Free. It works the same as Platinum and since the update, everything I've done so far still works the same. If you've been using Sonar, the VST's will carry over. If you download it from the web, I read you won't have as many Plugin's etc. NOTE: It only works in Windows...not Mac. I highly recommend "Cakewalk by Bandlab" software (NOT THE APP), to people I'm trying to work with in different states. I give it a 10.
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT ;)