RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: RIP Cakewalk / Sonar

Post by melodymessiah » Mon May 07, 2018 1:57 pm

even if the platinum version is free now, i think i'm gonna stick to my old sonar 8.0. i get done what i wanna get done, and my songwriting is not gonna improve just because i upgrade ;)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

melodymessiah wrote:even if the platinum version is free now, i think i'm gonna stick to my old sonar 8.0. i get done what i wanna get done, and my songwriting is not gonna improve just because i upgrade ;)
There are some things in the new one that do speed up the process ( for me at least ) so the fact it's free has forced my hand..if I was just playing around as a hobby then I would stick where I was but mixing 100 or so cues every year focuses the mind.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:49 am

CTWF wrote:Question: I do need to sign up to BandLab to download Cakewalk, correct? Will BandLab then sometimes interfer with me, such as in pop-ups or unwanted uploads to BandLab, or similar?
Yes you need to register and install the Bandlab Assistant which is used to deliver updates for their two Apps 1. Cakewalk &. 2. Bandlab as well access free sample loop content etc.

There is zero advertising or pop ups in Cakewalk or Bandlab Assistant. I have never used the Bandlab App as I have no interest in it. You can configure Bandlab Assistant not to load at startup if you don't want it running in the system tray.

The whole thing is very benign..

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:36 am

CTWF wrote:I am going back and forth between wanting to try Cakewalk or instead Ardour. 20 or so years of work with OpenOffice instead of Excel make me want to use open source. :)

EDIT: Problem is no officially supported Ardour Windows version exists.
Cakewalk is a very comprehensive DAW with a pedigree going back to when it was shareware midi sequencer that came on floppy disk. It can pretty much do anything you can think of although it can be a bit daunting as it has so many features.

The fact that the Bandlab model allows them to offer it freely amazes me, so I think its a no brainer to try it , the previous no brainer was Reaper.

I've never used Ardour but in this game where delivering music to deadlines is important I think having a mainstream DAW is helpful.

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:46 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:the previous no brainer was Reaper.
It’s a no brainer to me! I had no problem giving those Cockos guys the $$$ for the license!

Give me a lightning fast DAW and I’m happy to shell out some dough!

I would like to give back to the free and legal plugin coders I’ve used in the past, one day too!

Great thread, cosmicdolphin, Thanks!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 am
I am installing right now, and Cakewalk seems to come with Melodyne. Because I read differently on this thread, or another. Tom
No it just comes with a trial of Melodyne

It used to come with it when it was like $300-400 but when they went to the free model they stripped out everything that was licensed from a 3rd party where they had to pay for each copy sold. Which makes sense.

But if you have it already from an older version or you already own a licence it works well within Cakewalk as it's ARA compatible.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm a Cakewalk / Sonar user since it started in DOS :D ... still using Sonar Platinum which was the newest version prior Bandlab. I haven't installed from Bandlab yet, because I just haven't needed to, I think it is virtually identical to Platinum.

I have many years of existing projects in Sonar, there's too much effort to convert them to a new DAW, so I expect I'll maintain Sonar for a long time even if I move to another DAW.

I'm kind of watching & waiting & biding my time to see how well Bandlab will manage Cakewalk

I bought Studio One V3 (when it briefly seemed Sonar was gone for good) but I haven't installed it, so that's my "plan B". Studio One V4 has some nice features but isn't a must have for me.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 am

jdstamper wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm
I think it is virtually identical to Platinum.
Well it is but it's had a years worth of bug fixes, stability updates and new features , there's no reason not to really.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... es.01.html

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks, I had not seen that consolidated list of enhancements, that's helpful, and you make a good point.

I do plan to update this year ... when I upgrade to a new Windows 10 PC. My current Windows 7 PC is 9 years old, and has evolved, due to issues with other hardware / software, into a somewhat non-standard config that has a low tolerance for change. So if it ain't broke ... I don't want to mess with it.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Rockinpop
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Rockinpop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

I've been using Sonar Platinum for several years and just downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab after logging into Cakewalk, for Free. It works the same as Platinum and since the update, everything I've done so far still works the same. If you've been using Sonar, the VST's will carry over. If you download it from the web, I read you won't have as many Plugin's etc. NOTE: It only works in Windows...not Mac. I highly recommend "Cakewalk by Bandlab" software (NOT THE APP), to people I'm trying to work with in different states. I give it a 10.