Road Rally Feedback

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Road Rally Feedback

Post by kregdurant » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:49 pm

Both John and I had an absolute blast. Definitely had to take a week off after to recover from travel and all the beers. Met alot of cool people, hopeful to collaborate with some of you in the near future. And for those we didn't meet, well, Hopefully we "see you down the road" as well =] (points to you if you understand that reference)

As for the rally, I did have 1 complaint, and it's more unique to myself, but kind of all encompassing.
Theres alot of classes i wanted to go to, and having to pick and chose was difficult, so the class where I felt I could learn the most, was the one that won out everytime (of course). BUT. in about 50% of the classes, the class was derailed by technical questions like mixing and mastering. I can understand why these questions would be something people want answered, but at the same time, it wasn't what the class was about. I own a studio, and both John and I went to college for audio engineering, and have been working engineers for about 10 years each now both in studio, but also for Arena/Stadium tours in the live world. So when these classes got derailed, they no longer had value to us and just ended up wasting valuable time that could have been spent in another class.

I understand that mixing and mastering are very difficult, and can be concerning in this industry, but it's not something that can be taught in a 1 hour class, or even a weekend. Giving the teachers a little guidance to steer the room back on track to what the original topic was, because it was a recurring issue, or have classes dedicated to JUST that, so those people that do have questions can have them answered and then have instructors point them towards them, would be very helpful. Because nobody is gonna have a 30 minute convo and just think "aha! now i know how to use a limiter". Just "Mixing is a thing, Mastering is a thing" and then continue onwards.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's not, I just know it costs alot of money and time to fly from the east coast, and get a hotel, so I'm just trying to maximize the amount of value I get out of it.
I'm always down to answer questions about mixing and mastering, or help or whatever, so if this post feels like "gatekeeping" just know it's not. And I will be happy to point people in the right directions if thats something they would like.

Aside from that I learned ALOT. I had a Blast, and can't wait for next year. Maybe next time I'll be able to find Casey H. lol

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Road Rally Feedback

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:16 pm

kregdurant wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:49 pm
Maybe next time I'll be able to find Casey H. lol
HA! :lol: We'll definitely meet next year!! :D

Regarding your feedback on the classes, all I can say is I didn't experience attendees derailing my class (Song Structures That Sell) with mixing and mastering questions as it was a pure songwriting class. If it was happening, I definitely would have got us back on track. I also don't recall a problem in the other ones I attended, but there was a lot offered.

You make a valid point that instructors do have to keep things on subject. Taxi appreciates the feedback, so let them know your concern. If they hear from multiple attendees that it was an issue, they could send out a reminder to the instructors before the rally. They do send us a list of guidelines before the rally, some dos and don'ts. I've seen lots of improvements over the years based on feedback.

Glad you got a lot out of the rally!

Best,
:D Casey