Rock Instrumental on todays TAXI show

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bobporri
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rock Instrumental on todays TAXI show

Post by bobporri » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Benjamin, what great comments from everyone. Andy was particularly instructional and I'll benefit from it too. As soon as the song started I was really enjoying it. But then it just kept going on with the same rhythm and it did get monotonous after awhile. I think if you had kept it to about two minutes it would've worked a lot better overall. I think you have a real strong start with this one and I think just working with length, structure and mix a little bit it could be really good. Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Bob P.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:23 pm

...there are not too many solo saxophones in contemporary music (except for M83 Midnight city and Katy Perry's Last friday night lol) - Andy

Yep... the bane of my saxophone playing existence. ;) I've got an awesome document listing every sax solo recorded in pop music (created by someone else, not me), and you can see the demise of the saxophone over time. One of these days I want to do a YouTube montage of the most popular solos.

These days it's incredibly rare to hear and I want to change that. Bruno Mars is doing his best to bring horns back, I tip my hat to him.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

BenjaminDerclaye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BenjaminDerclaye » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:11 pm

eeoo wrote:Just chiming in to let you know that you can replace your file even after the submission deadline and there's a good chance the screener will hear the new version.
Thanks for the tip eeoo.

@Andy: Here is the original listing. They're asking for full-length instrumentals that need to be 2min long minimum. To me that sounds like a normal rock song and length without vocals. I might be wrong though.

MAINSTREAM, DRIVING, CONTEMPORARY ALT ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a killer Music Library with an incredibly long list of awesome placements in Film, TV, and Commercials. Give them well-crafted, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the stylistic wheelhouse of acts like Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon, etc., etc., etc. Submit full-length Instrumentals with a driving Rock quality that can add momentum to any scene it's placed in. Submissions should sound like a real Alt Rock band, with awesome guitar riffs, thunderous bass lines, and propulsive drums. Anything that sounds stiff, synthetic, or MIDI won't work for this Library. Be sure your tracks develop to keep them interesting throughout. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length.

@bobporri: Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it seems that everyone got bored pretty quickly in the verses. I thought the organ and theremyne parts would add new spices to the song but they clearly didn't stick out enough to make it feel fresh. Maybe I've just heard it too much.

I could try to rework it quickly and re-submitted or hope for the best with the two toger songs I submitted.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:26 pm

BenjaminDerclaye wrote:They're asking for full-length instrumentals that need to be 2min long minimum. To me that sounds like a normal rock song and length without vocals. I might be wrong though.

MAINSTREAM, DRIVING, CONTEMPORARY ALT ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a killer Music Library with an incredibly long list of awesome placements in Film, TV, and Commercials. Give them well-crafted, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the stylistic wheelhouse of acts like Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon, etc., etc., etc. Submit full-length Instrumentals with a driving Rock quality that can add momentum to any scene it's placed in. Submissions should sound like a real Alt Rock band, with awesome guitar riffs, thunderous bass lines, and propulsive drums. Anything that sounds stiff, synthetic, or MIDI won't work for this Library. Be sure your tracks develop to keep them interesting throughout. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length.

hmmm...now its an exercise in picking out which of these words really matter - and anybody might read it a little differently:

full length? or at least 2 mins? - as long as you are over 2 mins looks like you are good. so i would err on the side of slightly shorter and concise to make sure you get the forward instead of leaving to much filler in there. So 2min+ but shorter than what you have. I bet your cue edited down to 3 mins would be great.

considering the a la bands - more melody is probably totally acceptable - think of the intro to the Foo's "Monkey Wrench" before the vocal starts. Or the pretender starting at 0:35 where the drums start and the open string guitar riff is happening. Then the lift at 1:00. And again at 1:10. And then 1:20. A 0:25 long section is likely too long for purely instrumental, but you get the idea. The 0:10 section before 1:10 probably is more indicative of the speed things are going to be accelerating. The second verse through the second chorus to the end of the song could probably work as an instrumental - especially with the low melody in the chorus too. Every 4 bars or so there is a little development.

just my opinion.

BenjaminDerclaye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BenjaminDerclaye » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Cheers Andy! Very helpful!