Rock Staff Writer -- Take Two

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rock Staff Writer -- Take Two

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Quote:Thanks for following this... I just hope I don't get screener 245... AubHA!!! I LOVE your twisted mind. Hope you're staying warm. don't have the ear buds with me, but can hardly WAIT to hear this.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:57 am

Quote:Sorry for the long delay. Though it's just a scratch lead vocal at this point without some harmony or doubling, here's at last something to hear. Still tweaking some things melodically...Hate Me Save MeThanks for following this... I just hope I don't get screener 245... AubI hate to do a shameless bump, but we'll be wrapping this up this weekend and I was hoping to get some other ears and opinions. Hate Me Save MeAub

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:33 am

Hey Aub, I think the song sounds cool. The main thing that jumps out at me as possibly a bit off for the style is how busy the drums are. I've been listening to a ton of this material lately, and the drums seem to be really straightforward in almost everything, especially the big hit songs. All of the double kick accents struck me as a bit distracting. I understand it's a scratch vocal and a rough mix, so I don't really have anything to say about that, but I'd also try to distinguish the chorus from the verse a bit more musically, especially in the drums. I could hear it either switching to a more open hi-hat, or maybe the ride, at least in the last chorus. It's a cool hook, for sure though!The only other concern I have is that, from the guitar solo on, it starts to feel a bit less modern and more retro to me. The solo's ripping and it's awesome, but it starts to pull it a bit in the old school metal direction. I'm just curious, but which of the a-la's were you kind of shooting for in this one? Anyway, great work, that's just my two cents!HTH,DanBtw, I'm trying to finish mine up, as well, if you wouldn't mind letting me know what you think of those, as well....

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:24 am

Aub, as you are well aware, I am completely and totally unqualified to say anything about production. Me...? I really like this.IF you're still tweaking things melodically, as you posted, my one and only comment is to take/keep the word "rescue" back UP through all the choruses....from running to the RES-CUEProbably the LEAST valuable $0.02 you will ever hear on this, but...
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

gendron
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gendron » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks for the post Aub. I know how devastating Ice Storms can be.... I moved back home just in time for Ice Storm '98 It takes a while to warm up, after being frozen in place, but the 'winter' thaw always comes. I said a prayer for you and your family - hope it helped. Tell Ponch, God sez hey.Now about your song:"Hate Me Save Me" is shaping up well. Love to hear you sing "Hate Me!" ... it delivers every-time. And the guitar solo is great as usual, is it live or GUITAR RIG 3 ? Sweet! I know you have more work to do on the vocal, harmonies and such. And something about the melody were you referring to this line:"But this time I'm not gonna bleed to save you." the first half, from but to gonna, suffers from some stumble-tongue. Then it's back in step... ending right on the button. Look forward to your final version,Silence randy

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Well here we go... this is just a faders up mix but all parts are finished. Song two sometime tomorrow... sleep sometime next year Hate Me Save MeThanks for all the input -- appreciated, considered and even incorporated btw- the ala's we were targeting for this one was primarily a combination of Hinder and Daughtry(w/ the Slash Influence)...More later... umm earlier?? Geeze I'm sleepy

gendron
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gendron » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:28 am

BINGO! ... I absolutely dig: "Hate Me Save Me v.07". The ah's might be a tad angelic sounding for the content. (notes are great but the timber's kinda sweet.) Other than that. "Hate me..." <---- is stuck in my head.Silence randy edit: The ah's are growing on me; they are very likable Quote:Well here we go... this is just a faders up mix but all parts are finished. Song two sometime tomorrow... sleep sometime next year Hate Me Save MeThanks for all the input -- appreciated, considered and even incorporated btw- the ala's we were targeting for this one was primarily a combination of Hinder and Daughtry(w/ the Slash Influence)...More later... umm earlier?? Geeze I'm sleepy

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:59 am

I love it Aub, it's sounding great now!Really strong song

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Aub,the song is great. I love the lift during the pre and how it leads into the chorus, that's irresistible. And the chorus rocks. "Hate me" has such power the way it goes up... I think this is really something special, both musically and lyrically.The one thing that doesn't really work for me are the Aahhs...personally I would just ditch those altogether, they seem to get in the way of the lead and take away the punch and power of the chorus lines they cover up. Instead I would put harmonies on "stop loving you" & "running to the rescue", that would really make those (important) lines punch through. If you think about the great line "Hate me so I can stop loving you", it's really important the "stop loving you" part is "featured" as that is sort of the "punchline" of the entire song so to speak.A few other notes:- I would ditch the bg rhythm guitar in the 1st verse. I know that's gonna leave the lead vocal really naked, but I think the performance is strong enough and it would sound more edgy and contemporary.- The guitar solo is a bit dated sounding, too busy and noodle-y IMHO- Too many dbl kicks in the verse for my taste, I agree with Dan that's not too popular these days, it also gives the samples away more than if it was a bit sparser.- I think you could beat the vocal performance in the second verse, it's not dead on in the pocket there. Everything else was convincing.None of these last points would really matter in an ideal world as they are production issues and this is looking for staff writers, but with a listing this competitive every little thing counts.I just listened to this song about 4 or 5 times...I love it, I really think it kicks butt. IMHO it is a cut above most current rock hits as far as concept, lyrics and melody/music are concerned. Which is exactly what you need to have a shot at forward on this high bar listing.Great job on this man!matto

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Geeze guys... just wait til I mix it Ponch has gone into severe depression over the dated solo... but I'm getting him a tall hat and long wig so he'll look more like Slash and nobody will care We're going to revisit the kick... the ahhs will be more subtle in the actual mix, and there are some vocal layers and guitar layers that aren't standing out enough yet... however, all of the elements are there-- so we've gone on for now.A few more hours and we'll be posting the other one.Aub