Rock Staff Writers Needed!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Rock Staff Writers Needed!

Post by daniel481 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 pm

NEW SONGS AT END OF THREAD! Here's the listing:Commercial/Mainstream ROCK STAFF WRITERS are sought by a hugely successful industry mogul (producer/writer/executive) who has formed a new Music Group/Label. He's seeking the absolute best - writers who understand today's Rock market and can deliver hit songs to the likes of Daughtry, Evanescence, Hinder, Puddle Of Mudd, Nickelback, etc. Co-writing experience a big plus. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD/cassette, include lyrics & bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Dec. 18, 2007. TAXI # S071218RKSo, my plan is to send in three songs, one of them being my song "Today's Catastrophe" that I sent in for the ala Green Day listing. Here's another one I just "finished" (when is a song ever really finished, right? ) This is definitely the "hardest" of the three, and I'm curious to see what everybody thinks. "Superficial"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... &stream=1I really appreciate it! This could be a pretty cool gig. I guess it's a long shot, but I'm going for it... Thanks!Dan

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rock Staff Writers Needed!

Post by aubreyz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Dan,I remember Today's Catastrophe being a really good song. Seems like I wasn't sure if it nailed the listing target, but that it might get forwarded anyway because of the quality. I would definitely submit that.This one, though it clearly shows you are talented, didn't strike me as a great song. Granted that was first listen and not much of a thorough critique, but when I heard Catastrophe -- my first impression was much better than with this one.I would focus on quality verses quantity, and of course take my opinion for what it's worth --- just one opinion, and I may just not "get" this one. However, if you see a trend, it would be better to send 2 great songs than 2 great and one okay song.Aubbtw-- I really want this gig too, but have been focusing mostly on the alt rock genres and don't know if I have anything that would fit right now, or if I'll have time to produce anything before D-Day.

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Hey Aub, Thanks for checking it out! What I'm trying to do for this listing is hit all of the sub-genres of the rock styles. "Todays Catastrophe" is a bit slower and not quite as aggressive (and did get forwarded for the other listing, btw), this one is a lot more aggressive, and the third one is very much in the Daughtry vein. And I'm definitely trying to get them all high up on the quality level, so I'll be curious to hear what other people think!Outside of this forum I've showed it to two people who are very picky when it comes to music, and both of them really liked it, so we'll have to see...:)Thanks again! Best of luck getting some stuff together to submit, as well!Dan

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Dan,Could you post the lyrics up, or PM me them. That was the main thing that seemed not up to par to me-- and I could also be having a bad night Aub

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 pm

No problem, here they are: You wanna take my pictureYou wanna let me knowHow much you’d love to feel me nowYou wanna say you’ve met meYou want the world to hearThat you were close enough to touch me yeahWhat am I forYou just wanna use me then you’ll goWhy won’t you get to know meI’m right here so talk to meI’m not down with pretty faces whoJust look but never seeCause I want itI need itSomething realSomeone that’ll come and rescue meSo lose itI hate itThe superficial mind is never gonna interest meYou want to have a storyThat’s all you want, you don’t want meYou just wanna make them jealous yeahAnd I want moreYou’re not gonna use me anymoreYou don’t need meBelieve meGive up the act Take a shot at loving someone backYou don’t want meYou don’t love meWhere are you at?I know your waiting The superficial mind is never gonna interest meThe superficial mind is never gonna interest meYour superficial mind is never gonna interest me Hope that helps!

marcin
Active
Active

Post by marcin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:04 pm

HI!That's a cool song! I like the singing, but the guitars sound a bit "old school" to me - I like that kind of sound and I think that one could be also a cut for velvet revolver but I'm not sure about "younger" bands.BUT MAN I LOVE THAT SINGING! That's a KILLER VOICE!Good Luck!ByeMarcin

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:19 pm

yeah... helps a lot. Once again these are just quick, flyby comments so take em FWIWFirst comment... missing an in your face, repeatable hook. There's plenty of places in the melody for it. IMHO and from the ala's in this listing, it's gonna be all about hook. Also the untouchable rock star storyline gets kind of weak here to me:Quote:Why won’t you get to know meI’m right here so talk to meI’m not down with pretty faces whoJust look but never seeTo me this doesn't really fit the context of the story. Star struck fan has to be asked to get to know and talk to the star? Seems like it would make more sense to be saying something like you only think you know me... you aren't talking to the real me...Also... I love the word superficial. But superficial mind doesn't seem strong enough. It's more than the mind. it's the life, it's the games, it's ... I don't have the word, but I would consider adding some repetitive chorus line that nails it.Don't get me wrong... I think this is a good song, but to have a shot at this one, I think we all will have to have bulletproof material.Aub

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Hm, interesting. I thought that the chorus was pretty hooky, but I'll have to keep listening to see if I can hear anything else that would make it more so...As far as the story, I wasn't going so much for something about a starstruck fan as a girl who uses people in positions of power to make them seem "cooler" or give them something to brag about i.e. up their status. So the lyrics are complaining about these girls, or groupies, who want to "hook up" with the "famous star", but don't care about actually knowing him at all. It's kind of a role reversal, but he's tired of being used by these girls for their ulterior motives, and he wishes that one would actually be interested in getting to know him and see who he really is. So the girl isn't nervous or shy around these people, she's really the one with power. And she wants to take his picture to have proof of her exploits. Well, that's what I had in my head at least So everything about her is superficial, but since all of her decisions come from her mind, I though "superficial mind" sounded cool and summed that up.I'm not sure, does that make any sense?If you have any ideas for another hook I'd be happy to hear them!Thanks,Dan

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 pm

And thanks Marcin, I'm glad you like it!Dan

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 pm

I think the chorus is pretty catchy. Reminds me of Backyard Babies