Romantic and European Folk?!?!

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Romantic and European Folk?!?!

Post by mikebarresi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Well i am a little confused with this listing...A range of great EUROPEAN FOLK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. This company ran numerous TAXI listings in 2006 (and signed many TAXI songs) and is now in need of more great material as their service has become very much in demand. Style-wise, they're open to A range of great EUROPEAN FOLK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. This company ran numerous TAXI listings in 2006 (and signed many TAXI songs) and is now in need of more great material as their service has become very much in demand. Style-wise, they're open to contemporary Western as well as Eastern European Folk - from Portugal to Poland. Think music from the 20th century to today. They don't want tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated - authenticity and great performances are the keys. Both instrumentals with lead melody lines and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK - they want both. All tempos are OK. Track length should be in the 1:00 - 3:00 range. At this point they work mostly with prominent U.K. TV channels such as the BBC and ITV, but also supply music to other production companies that broadcast worldwide. They offer non-exclusive, 50/50 deals. Broadcast quality needed [great sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Jan. 4, 2008. TAXI # S080104EF this is what i came up with.. i am not sure if it is on target.. but it was fun producing!http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=truei am also submitting this http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true toThe Owner of a Music Production Library needs a wide variety of ROMANTIC INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. He is open to a large range of genres, everything from Jazz to Pop-Rock to Orchestral (just so it's emotional/romantic), and strong performances and clear musical motifs are essential. This production music veteran signed dozens of TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this venture as well. He needs tracks with button endings - no fade-outs. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Jan. 7, 2008. TAXI # S080107ROif you guys and gals would like to make any comments on either track .. feel free.thanksMikeps.. happy new year everyone!

ephlat66
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Romantic and European Folk?!?!

Post by ephlat66 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi Mike-Re: the European folk tune. I'm by no means an expert in this genre, but my first impression is that it's not an original tune. It seems extremely familiar to me! Perhaps it's a new arrangement of something in the public domain? I don't know, and perhaps I'm dead wrong.The second track for the "romantic" listing is simply beautiful. Very quietly moving. Heartfelt and understated - makes the title very appropriate. I like your chances for this listing, but that's just me! Good luck!
Most people miss opportunity because it shows up wearing overalls and looks like work. - Henry Ford

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 am

These are both nice. The euro-track is a nice take on that old chesnut. Did you play that on a 12-string guitar or a mandolin? I really like the understated feel of the romantic piece. Good luck with these!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am

Hey mike,I liked the romantic piece, I think that's on target. I guess I would've preferred a slightly more interesting pad sound in the background, but that's probably not a big deal.The European piece...first, I hope you checked the PD status of it . Usually I would submit original compositions only unless the listing specifically says the "your arrangements of PD songs are welcome" or something to that effect.Either way, to me this is off target because it's not really folk. It's a mix of an Italian folk song melody over a Reggae beat. I would've stuck more to an authentic folk music arrangement, I think that would've greatly increased your chances. When you think of the possible applications/scenarios for a piece like this, they would almost always require a more authentic sound.FWIW,matto

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Hey thanks for the comments.Yeah i was a little confused about the euro listing. Folk music that is contemporary. I believe that the tune is in public domain. It's older than my great grandfather!! or should i say Nonno!!! I played the melody on a mandolin. First time ever touching one!!!As for the pad in the classical guitar piece, i have some more time to fiddle!! did you guys hear any distortion on that track??thanks Mike

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Mike,I listened to the Romantic piece. Very nice piece, excellent playing. I think the pad sound could have a bit more expression timbrally, getting a bit brighter and darker, kind of following the energy and ebbs and flows of the guitar part.Production-wise, for my taste, the ambience on the guitar was too loud. It was a bit distracting to me. Just my taste.Excellent work!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ephlat66
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ephlat66 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:20 am

First time touching a mandolin? You people piss me off! LOL
Most people miss opportunity because it shows up wearing overalls and looks like work. - Henry Ford

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 am

Sorry to piss you off i should mention that i am a guitarist. Gives me a slight advantage when trying to play the mandolin!!! And, I am Italian too.. maybe its genetics!! hahah MIke

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:03 pm

Quote: Sorry to piss you off i should mention that i am a guitarist. Gives me a slight advantage when trying to play the mandolin!!! And, I am Italian too.. maybe its genetics!! hahah MIkeOnly if you start playing accordian!!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Hehehe... yeah i think i'll stick to the guitar!!!