"Romantic Classical Instrumentals" S230610MB is neither Romantic nor Classical

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Romantic Classical Instrumentals" S230610MB is neither Romantic nor Classical

Post by Paulie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 pm

superblonde wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:21 pm
what you have just described is a process which completely discounts the often-repeated mantra:
"read the F*&$ brief"; i.e. recommends to actively ignore key words of text in listings.
Sort of, maybe. This is where having a solid music education actually gets in the way. Your understanding of the terms "classical" and "romantic" are generally not what the industry listings are asking for. They might be if you were working with a library that specializes in classical music, etc. Gotta stick with the general population mindset on this one, rare is the listing that actually means "classical" or "romantic" (or Renaissance, Baroque, etc.). And don't get me started on the term "neo-classical" which is all the rage these days. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Romantic Classical Instrumentals" S230610MB is neither Romantic nor Classical

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 am

superblonde wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 am
Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am
....and your point is?
this forum is described as "Feedback on Taxi's current listings", which is exactly what I provided above. what is YOUR point?
Mine is that you can debate forever on labels. Ultimately, that's all they are, but who made them up and decided the exact boundaries anyway? You can Google forever to try and identify precise definitions of punk, pop, R&B, rap, trap, metal, death metal, but you'll never nail it down without some ambiguity. For example, US punk and UK punk are quite different. Then there are all the crossovers, so all the boundaries blur anyway. So what though? Genre labels are nothing more than pigeonholes for broad categorisation, and there's little to be gained by obsessing over them for the sake of academic correctness, especially when you have the ref tracks for guidance. My suggestion would be to put you energies into taking advantage of your knowledge to make better targeted submissions, then you'll be one step ahead of the pack, provided it genuinely makes any difference.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 am
superblonde wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 am
this forum is described as "Feedback on Taxi's current listings", which is exactly what I provided above.
you can debate forever on labels. Ultimately, that's all they are, but who made them up and decided the exact boundaries .... For example, US punk and UK punk are quite different. .... My suggestion would be ...
Taxi and the music supervisors are supposed to be the experts on Genre. That is the very heart of their business. Knowing Genre, and all that surrounds it, is supposed to be their primary skillset.

US punk and UK punk are still both genres of punk, whatever their respective subtleties. Classical genre and Foster's Folk are two disparate genres.

I didn't ask for your suggestion, or for your projections of my post onto my own work. My post was and is "Feedback on Taxi's current listings".
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:26 pm

superblonde wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm
Taxi and the music supervisors are supposed to be the experts on Genre. That is the very heart of their business. Knowing Genre, and all that surrounds it, is supposed to be their primary skillset.
Where the heck did you hear that music supervisors are supposed to be experts on genre? They are not. They are experts at getting music that sounds/feels right for scenes into Film/TV. Or they could know some genres well and others not as well. For example, maybe this sup knows rock, pop, and singer-songwriter well but not as much regarding classical. They so the best they can to describe what they are looking for. Your expectations of others-- perfection, is way out of whack.

Taxi screeners do not write the listings. Other staff at Taxi write the listings and do the best they can to interpret what the sups and libraries are asking for. BTW, have you ever seen briefs from other sources? (Direct from sups, direct from libraries, etc.)? Taxi listings have WAY more descriptive detail than you'll see elsewhere. That does NOT mean they are perfect. You really have to stop expecting everything in the universe to be perfect and/or exactly as you would like it.

BTW, "skillset" is 2 words. In a perfect world, by a perfect person, that would have been written correctly. :P

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:45 pm
If you can't accept the imperfections of the business you are in you can (3) Whine about it non-stop.
At a local barber shop, they have a large signboard on the wall: "There will be a $5.00 charge for whining"
So - for the same price, you could've submitted a Folk piece for the Romantic/Classical listing.

Your mileage may vary.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra