Royalties

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Royalties

Post by karafinman » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am

I sold a song on Pond5 and then got backend from it. It was on two movies on Lifetime Network. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I thought Pond5 was royalty-free.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Royalties

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:33 pm

karafinman wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am
I sold a song on Pond5 and then got backend from it. It was on two movies on Lifetime Network. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I thought Pond5 was royalty-free.
There's no such thing as "" royalty free " if the track is used for broadcast and the writer is PRO affiliated.

It's just a marketing term for content creators who don't understand how the royalty system works.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 pm

karafinman wrote:
I sold a song on Pond5 and then got back-end from it. It was on two movies on Lifetime Network. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I thought Pond5 was royalty-free.
Congrats on your 'pleasant surprise'...!
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:31 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:33 pm
karafinman wrote:
There's no such thing as "" royalty free " if the track is used for broadcast and the writer is PRO affiliated.

It's just a marketing term for content creators who don't understand how the royalty system works.
True but not all RF libraries will assist with cue sheet filing. Some even have banners on their sites that say things like, "No messy cue sheets!". This particular library just recently changed their model such that they share in publishing and assist in cue sheets (but they take a larger share of sync for that). With some RF libraries you have to do your own admin and chase down cue sheets. You have to look at each RF library on a case by case basis. I knew one that won't accept writers that belong to a PRO! (Obviously, I would never want to work with them). A****s***x gives you the choice of them doing admin for the pub share or you doing it yourself. I opt for letting them do it and see ASCAP registrations they made with my title and a tag.

Congrats, karafinman, on getting the placement and backend pay!

:D Casey