We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Sad Piano - ONE SINGLE motif

Post by subinthompson » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Dear All,

Would love to listen to your thoughts on my newest piece.
https://soundcloud.com/subinthompson/lo ... zMK9bRu6WN

It is for the listing S200715SP
It is mentioned "...Be sure to stick to a singular motif and mood throughout, so your submissions are cohesive from top to bottom. In other words, don't try to score a scene, so much as create something that sticks to one motif...."

Im not sure if I have stuck with a single motive. Also, it was played live, and not quantised, so I was wondering if the drift in my playing is acceptable?

Thanks a lot.
Subin
Last edited by subinthompson on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sad Piano - ONE SINGLE motif

Post by AlanHall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Very nice, I don't hear any drift besides the rallentando at the end. It's pretty. Oh, yes, and sad!

There's one spot at about 0:24 in, where you change the rhythm of the melody and at first listen it sounded to me like a hesitation (because there was no 8th note on the 'and' of one) but there was no hesitation.. I had to listen and re-listen to prove it to myself, figure out why I got that impression. Maybe a dynamic, register, or textural change there would let the listener know that it is NOT a repeat of the first melodic phrase? You did record the performance to MIDI?

It is very classically-inspired. That's either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the style the screener is prepared to forward. I seem to have noticed that the sad/meditative/uplifting piano or orchestral listings recently are using a form that is a basic 4- or 8- bar phrase repeated with melodies and countermelodies. No 'B' section, no development. That's my two quaver's-worth ;)

edit: re 0:24 in - something as simple as a LH eighth-note alberti thing (like what has been done in previous measures) to fill the space would keep the listener's expectations up at that point.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Agree, Really beautiful a heart tugger

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RobertElse » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Subin - Very pretty, very expressive playing. My only critique is a pedal clunk at about :04. I had one of those in a submission a while back and it was cause for rejection, but you never know, it might pass muster after all.

In the past I have used Izotope RX7 to repair audio glitches - kinda like Photoshop for audio - there's a learning curve but it does a good job in cases where it's not practical to re-record.

I'm submitting to this listing as well, and I have the very same question about "one single motif". The given reference tracks do not follow this rule. The first reference track is definitely ABA, with a contrasting B. The second reference track has several motifs. I would never describe either of them as having "a single motif." So I figure we just take our best shot, and so much depends on the listener.

The recent "somber piano" listing D200523PN had the phrase "stick to one emotion throughout...". Perhaps whoever wrote the listing equates motif and emotion (mood), and we trained musicians are over-thinking it in that context. Dunno.

Very nice piece - good luck!

Robert

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm

I think you are bang on, Subin.
For me, I would let the end ring out until the very end, so pedal down until the sound is gone, but I believe that even what you have got now works
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:58 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:45 pm
Very nice, I don't hear any drift besides the rallentando at the end. It's pretty. Oh, yes, and sad!

There's one spot at about 0:24 in, where you change the rhythm of the melody and at first listen it sounded to me like a hesitation (because there was no 8th note on the 'and' of one) but there was no hesitation.. I had to listen and re-listen to prove it to myself, figure out why I got that impression. Maybe a dynamic, register, or textural change there would let the listener know that it is NOT a repeat of the first melodic phrase? You did record the performance to MIDI?

It is very classically-inspired. That's either a good thing or a bad thing depending on the style the screener is prepared to forward. I seem to have noticed that the sad/meditative/uplifting piano or orchestral listings recently are using a form that is a basic 4- or 8- bar phrase repeated with melodies and countermelodies. No 'B' section, no development. That's my two quaver's-worth ;)

edit: re 0:24 in - something as simple as a LH eighth-note alberti thing (like what has been done in previous measures) to fill the space would keep the listener's expectations up at that point.
Hey Alan,
Thanks for listening so closely and for your valuable comments.
I've fixed the 0.24 eighth note. Thanks for pointing that out. I admit. it was a slip actually "D

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:58 pm

ronnie35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Agree, Really beautiful a heart tugger

Ron
Thank you for your kind words Ron!

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 am

RobertElse wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Subin - Very pretty, very expressive playing. My only critique is a pedal clunk at about :04. I had one of those in a submission a while back and it was cause for rejection, but you never know, it might pass muster after all.

In the past I have used Izotope RX7 to repair audio glitches - kinda like Photoshop for audio - there's a learning curve but it does a good job in cases where it's not practical to re-record.

I'm submitting to this listing as well, and I have the very same question about "one single motif". The given reference tracks do not follow this rule. The first reference track is definitely ABA, with a contrasting B. The second reference track has several motifs. I would never describe either of them as having "a single motif." So I figure we just take our best shot, and so much depends on the listener.

The recent "somber piano" listing D200523PN had the phrase "stick to one emotion throughout...". Perhaps whoever wrote the listing equates motif and emotion (mood), and we trained musicians are over-thinking it in that context. Dunno.

Very nice piece - good luck!

Robert
Thanks for your time and listening to it so closely!
Its a Keyscape piano. and the pedal noise is adjustable :D
I had liked the piano pedal. so i pushed it a bit too much :) Thanks for pointing that out.

I totally get what are telling about the motif, and it depends on the screener too.
All the best for your submission too! Lets hope for the best!

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 am

superkons wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm
I think you are bang on, Subin.
For me, I would let the end ring out until the very end, so pedal down until the sound is gone, but I believe that even what you have got now works
Thanks for the kind words Marco,
Hope it works.

Subin

subinthompson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by subinthompson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 am

subinthompson wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 pm
Dear All,

Would love to listen to your thoughts on my newest piece.
https://soundcloud.com/subinthompson/lo ... zMK9bRu6WN

It is for the listing S200715SP
It is mentioned "...Be sure to stick to a singular motif and mood throughout, so your submissions are cohesive from top to bottom. In other words, don't try to score a scene, so much as create something that sticks to one motif...."

Im not sure if I have stuck with a single motive. Also, it was played live, and not quantised, so I was wondering if the drift in my playing is acceptable?

Thanks a lot.
Subin