Said it in a unique way

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Said it in a unique way

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:07 am

HiSome posts on other threads made me think of starting this one.Name an example of lyrics that say something rather commonplace (i.e. love you, miss you, you left me, wish you were mine, etc, etc, etc...) in a unique way... The example can be from your own or from know artist's lyrics...Please only post a few lines such as a tag line, a verse, a chorus, etc... There are so many great examples, especially from the best lyricists of all time... And of course, there are our own... Casey

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Said it in a unique way

Post by onoffon » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:17 am

Hey Casey - this is the first verse/bridge of a song I wrote about great loss - it's been included in a dozen charity comps for 9/11 and Katrina victims..."The streets are filled with echoes of those who are not thereA tear rolls down a cheek in the window of my mind's dispairCalm is broken as the morning light cuts through the dark and quiet gloomMy glass is empty - there's no where to turn - as I sit here in my roomThe shadows deepen and slowly move across the hallA memory that haunts - puts the writing on the wallThe lines grow heavy from the fear that takes it tollThe one who's gone is only there with meInside my soul"Peace,Von

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:17 am

"You give me a Reason to get old." From my song "Reason", which was recently forwarded.Woo hoo!

cherokeesteve

Post by cherokeesteve » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 pm

"I feel stupid and contagious,Here we are now, entertain us." R. I. P. Kurt , nobody wrote better

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:52 pm

"When you put your arms around meI feel there's really happy endingsAt least you make my days happierWaking in your arms in the mornings."(I Want U by Nomi Yah)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:49 am

Way way back in time, possibly before we were all born there was a song called, "The Shadow of Your Smile"... How's that for a unique phrase?In the 60s, there was, "The Tracks of My Tears"... Another good one...Elvis Costello had a zillion... For example, "Giving you away like motel matches"I often use Joni Mitchell as a frame of reference... You know the kind of love triangle we have all been in--- You love him, he loves her and all he ever does is come to you and complain about how bad she treats him? (of reverse M/F)...From "Conversation"He comes for conversationI comfort him sometimesComfort and consultationHe knows that's what he'll find......Love is a story told to a friendIt's second hand...I'm sure there are many other samples from the greats like Dylan, etc... And of course more current songs... Casey

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:16 pm

I like my stupid life just the way it isand the chaos that surrounds me like a flock of screaming pigsand it kills my brain to think of all the stupid things I've saidand if I could change the future, I would change the past insteadBoingo-"Change"-Danny Elfman

cherokeesteve

Post by cherokeesteve » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic'sHis hair was perfect.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:00 am

Quote:I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic'sHis hair was perfect. Yes, Zevon was a genius...I went home with the waitressThe way I always doHow was I to knowShe was with theRussians, too? Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:14 am

Quote:Name an example of lyrics that say something rather commonplace (i.e. love you, miss you, you left me, wish you were mine, etc, etc, etc...) in a unique way... The example can be from your own or from know artist's lyrics...Please only post a few lines such as a tag line, a verse, a chorus, etc... Hey, great lyrics have been posted on this thread. In general, in today's world, relationship songs are still the hits. That's why I mentioned saying something commonplace (i.e. love you, miss you, you left me, wish you were mine, etc, etc, etc...) in a unique way. I guess I meant more relationship oriented when I was thinking of "commonplace".Sometimes, unique can be the placement of an incredibly memorable tag line at the right place so it is forever embedded in our minds. Billy Joel's classic, "I Love You Just The Way You Are" is a great example. One can debate whether or not that's been said before, but not the instant hit. So, what are the most unique relationship lines that you or someone else has come up with? Casey