Samples of ambient noise?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Samples of ambient noise?

Post by ernstinen » Thu May 18, 2006 10:15 am

Quote:If you come here and visit North Philadelphia, we can sample all the gunshot sounds you'll ever need! I used to live in North Hollywood, and because of the gunshots, helicopters, and people screaming at night, we decided to move to rural Chatsworth. The sounds there are birds singing during the day, coyotes yipping at night --- and my psychotic neighbor bellowing about "rats" and pounding on the walls! I've got some good recordings of him if you'd like them --- Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu May 18, 2006 12:10 pm

That's the gig when you're doing sfx work, 53 - every effect in the world except one is wrong. There are no shortcuts.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu May 18, 2006 12:11 pm

When I lived in North Hollywood there was a bird there, Ern. You must've seen him. I lived right around the corner (and a bit) from Donte's, South of the Ventura Freeway. Maybe the gunshots got him. Or maybe some "friend" of Casey's sent him to Philly, telling everybody there it was a turkey.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu May 18, 2006 2:15 pm

I left out the big grin at the end of my last post - I'm not trying to be an A.H.!(It's the hard truth, though - sfx and tracking with library music. Once you find the right fx or cue it's easy; finding them is what takes all the time.)

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu May 18, 2006 3:29 pm

I'm not bragging cuz I don't like it but I think so far this year my city may have the most flying bullets.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu May 18, 2006 4:41 pm

Yup, Oakland Hills is just terrible. (My brother lives up there - around the corner from where it burned - and it's gorgeous. )

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu May 18, 2006 5:55 pm

Nick,There's some great places in the hills with amazing views (the bay, San Francisco, Alcatraz island, Golden Gate bridge, etc.). When you visit your brother, let me know.Nomi

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Thu May 18, 2006 10:08 pm

Last night when I took the dog out for a walk the military baracks across the road from me were having shooting practise. I rushed home to get my mic and recorder but by the time I got there they'd finished.11.30 at night is a wierd time to start shooting off guns, don't you think?I've also found a collection of interesting links that can all be got to from this site.http://www.filmsound.org/sound-effects/libraries.htmThe freesound project is especially interesting for anyone who needs that specific sound of someone walking through a wet German forest.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu May 18, 2006 11:48 pm

Wow, I can't believe what I started with that joke about gunshots... So now we have a new phrase in our culture, "Drive-by Sampling"... Casey