Screener 253, this song didn't get a foward

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Screener 253, this song didn't get a forward

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:58 am

HiChits... sorry if we stole your thread for a few minutes about the Imus thing. Jack- I agree with you big time.I am both very sad and very angry that Imus is getting fired for this. (He wasn't fired by CBS radio yet, but that will be next). Can't anybody make a mistake, sincerely apologize, and move on? What he said was wrong. That is universally agreed on. But this calling for his head on a platter and making him lose his livelihood is worse. I found his apology way more sincere than that I've heard from many others who have made offensive comments. And he didn't check right into a rehab center and blame it on drugs and alcohol. That seems the fashionable thing to do if you screw up. Check right in to rehab and that makes everything OK. I was offended by Mel Gibson's comments last year during his drunk driving incident. So, I won't go see any movies that he is involved with. That's how I express my feelings. People have this same option with Imus. If they don't listen, his ratings would suffer and the marketplace would have spoken. And shame on those sponsors who pulled out. Do you think they did that because they really give a hoot about the people he offended? No... It's politically correct to pull their ads. It's a big PR thing for them.And what about punishment fitting the crime? I think a 2 week suspension was reasonable but firing was way beyond.One more thing... Imus has spent large sums of money earned from his radio success on excellent charitable causes. So his firing takes away money that would continue to go to those causes.I heard one political correctness joke on the radio this morning. It was from a respected mainstream talk show host. He said don't be surprised if next year Santa has to come down the chimney and say "Hum, hum, hum"... OK, back to Chit's music... Casey

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Screener 253, this song didn't get a foward

Post by johnnydean1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 am

Quote:Just a point of clarification. The northerners I'm talking about are the ones in my part of the world. I am actually further north than most people in the U.S. jeffe means,ooooppppp norf.Manchester United,Coronation street,Oasis.Right jeffe?South........aka saaaaarrrfffff sarfend,lundon red busses,Where's Chichester jeffe,is it near Winchester and what accent prevails. I am very interested in accents.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:44 am

Quote:I am finally going to post a link to one of my songs.... it didn't get a foward. The title of it is "Stumble On Through This World." The main reason it didn't get a foward was, 'it was not close enough to the intended market, and it was felt that a bridge was needed break up some of the harmonic structure. ' The song was also considered too 'down' for a country listing which prefers more upbeat stuff. I submitted this a Dixie Chicks listing, at least, that was one of the artists they specified. I knew it wouldn't get a foward, but I wanted a critique anyway. I really don't know which market I'd pitch this song too, might have a hard time finding a home. I also got some good marks on the song, eights on the music and lyrics...with comments like, "good music in chorus" and 'the hook is well defined." Anyway, this is not my usual fare...my songs sound much more country because I have them demoed in Nashville, but I thought I'd post this one anyway. I am singing on the demo. My voice isn't stellar, but it's adequate I guess. I co-wrote this with my guitar teacher, and he engineered the demo and is playing the guitar throughout the demo. One day, I'll post some of Beaird's Demoes, so you can see the contrast between some of my more Nashville sounding songs (Larry does a really good job) and this one here. I like my song, think it's pretty good, but I am always open to even the most brutal critiques, hehe. BTW, I agree with all of screener 253's comments, even though I'm fond of my song. It could use some work. I've written better stuff too. I'm learnin' Any critiques would be welcomed if y'all have the time. Another TAXI member has already done so via e-mail. Hope this link works. www.geocities.com/songwriter_205/Chitty-Stumble_on.mp3 I still can't get it to play.Could one of our techie genius's like Case or jeffe do a link.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:05 am

Quote:Quote:I am finally going to post a link to one of my songs.... it didn't get a foward. The title of it is "Stumble On Through This World." The main reason it didn't get a foward was, 'it was not close enough to the intended market, and it was felt that a bridge was needed break up some of the harmonic structure. ' The song was also considered too 'down' for a country listing which prefers more upbeat stuff. I submitted this a Dixie Chicks listing, at least, that was one of the artists they specified. I knew it wouldn't get a foward, but I wanted a critique anyway. I really don't know which market I'd pitch this song too, might have a hard time finding a home. I also got some good marks on the song, eights on the music and lyrics...with comments like, "good music in chorus" and 'the hook is well defined." Anyway, this is not my usual fare...my songs sound much more country because I have them demoed in Nashville, but I thought I'd post this one anyway. I am singing on the demo. My voice isn't stellar, but it's adequate I guess. I co-wrote this with my guitar teacher, and he engineered the demo and is playing the guitar throughout the demo. One day, I'll post some of Beaird's Demoes, so you can see the contrast between some of my more Nashville sounding songs (Larry does a really good job) and this one here. I like my song, think it's pretty good, but I am always open to even the most brutal critiques, hehe. BTW, I agree with all of screener 253's comments, even though I'm fond of my song. It could use some work. I've written better stuff too. I'm learnin' Any critiques would be welcomed if y'all have the time. Another TAXI member has already done so via e-mail. Hope this link works. www.geocities.com/songwriter_205/Chitty-Stumble_on.mp3 I still can't get it to play.Could one of our techie genius's like Case or jeffe do a link.Copy the URL and paste it into the address bar in your browser. That should work.Chichester is about 20 miles from Portsmouth, and about 30 from Brighton. It sits in the middle. Not far away from classy Bognor (not).The accent here is not too far away from the London accent. That's probably because half the population of London moved here. There are a few people with a country twang in their voice.The southern softies!As the northerners like to refer to us.Talking about people putting their foot in their mouth. There was a guy called "Ron Atkinson" who was commenting on a soccer match, and made what was regarded as a discriminatory reference to humans with better sun tans than him. His feet didn't touch the floor as they fired him.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:07 am

Quote:Yay Chits!!!!! nice song.... like your voice.... you get up there.... I'm only a stones throw from Jaersie..... though it may be true that Imus could use a little sensitivity training.... there's also the aspect that the rest of them could go to a "sense of humor" training. I mean everyone gets so freakin' bent out of shape, insulted, pissed, to the point of craziness.... and of course the media tries to treat every singe event as a major hate crime........ and an attack on women... talk about a mountain out of a mole hill....... ( Although I guess if someone like Imus made an insult like that about my wife or daughter. ... I'd kick his ass.... ) and he is getting his ass kicked ... Here's a song about where my head is at.... http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/transm ... ArkJackYou know, Arkjack, I totally agree here about Imus. Btw, I am going to try to listen to your tune....thanks so much for listening to mine! The plug on my computer does work, and I can use my speakers, but my volume is very low, and sometimes, certain downloads will come out in broken syllables. Here's my take on the Imus thing.....and my polictics run on the liberal side too. I am SICK of political correctness. Granted, I think people should be sensitive to what was said about the Rutgers team, the 'nappy headed ho' remark was out of bounds, that should not have been said, but Imus apologized for this profusely. It's like they want his head on a platter. One thing though, Imus is famous for saying 'tongue in cheek, even affectionate insulting remarks for people, so he probably didn't even realize what he was doing when he said that remark about the Rutgers team. He probably really did mean it with a sense of humor. As Casey pointed out, Imus has done a lot of good in the world. He's supports lots of charities, helps kids with cancer...he does a lot of good in the world. I'm not totally an Imus fan....I watch his show sometimes, and he can be a rude obnoxious jerk too, but he also has a good side. Bill Mayer pointed out last night that Imus has been on MSNBC for ten years now, and that everyone makes a mistake....you can't host a talk show for ten years without something happening. Also, a black commentator was on last night, and he said that white American finds it all too easy to focus on these comments like Imus's instead of really getting involved to help the black community. It's much easier to get bent out of shape over a stupid comment made about minorities, rather than get really involved to work in black communities to help with some of the disparities. And one other thing, maybe Imus's remark about the Rutgers team was actually a nod of respect in his eyes, as crazy as that sounds to some....I know because I watch him sometimes. He won't joke about someone he doesn't respect. Maybe black people have now arrived to a point in society where they are making inroads, gaining well deserved positions of power, entering the middle class, and maybe they don't need people to patronize them by never making a bad remark about them. We joke about the Irish, etc, because they have arrived. The Rutgers team did say they were offended though, and Imus did the right thing by apologizing. It could be argued on the other side that black people are not yet far removed from the wrongs that were done to them, so we as a nation are having to work through this. But I think the 'tolerance' pendulum has swung too FAR to the left now when people are losing their careers over remarks like this. And I'll tell you this right now, I don't think it's any indignation on the part of the white libs (of which I count myself one), it boils down to dollars....Imus got canceled because so many sponsors canceled on him.One other thing, LOL...I'm a Southerner, and we are the only group left you can 'objectify.' I sometimes see people on the left in the media talk about 'trailer trash, red staters' and I just laugh, I got a sense of humor....but if you make such remarks about Southerners, you don't get fired for it. It's sort of a double standard.This is one reason I'm disgusted with politics on the left and the right lately....I usually don't post about political stuff because I just think all this stuff divides us. The libs have been hijacked by what I call 'coffee house libs', the people who bash everyone for their intolerance while showing a bunch of their own intolerance.And the right has been highjacked by people who do the same.....I am so disgusted, I won't even vote in the presidential election...put me down in the apolitical column now. All the talking heads, politicos and politicians suck.And Casey, it's okay if the thread has been hijacked....hell, I was gonna work on my songs, but this thread is going to be on fire I guess.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:14 am

JEFFE, a group of folks used to be in a chat group with a guy for Manchester and a guy from London....he got referred to as a 'mid UKer." We also had a guy in the chat group who lived in London....I gotta say that I liked the London accent better. There were about 20 of us who chat about current events, and we'd voice chat on Friday nights. Chicks dig the accent! Don't worry, hehe, you don't have to take out a restraining order against me.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 am

Quote:Quote:I am finally going to post a link to one of my songs.... it didn't get a foward. The title of it is "Stumble On Through This World." The main reason it didn't get a foward was, 'it was not close enough to the intended market, and it was felt that a bridge was needed break up some of the harmonic structure. ' The song was also considered too 'down' for a country listing which prefers more upbeat stuff. I submitted this a Dixie Chicks listing, at least, that was one of the artists they specified. I knew it wouldn't get a foward, but I wanted a critique anyway. I really don't know which market I'd pitch this song too, might have a hard time finding a home. I also got some good marks on the song, eights on the music and lyrics...with comments like, "good music in chorus" and 'the hook is well defined." Anyway, this is not my usual fare...my songs sound much more country because I have them demoed in Nashville, but I thought I'd post this one anyway. I am singing on the demo. My voice isn't stellar, but it's adequate I guess. I co-wrote this with my guitar teacher, and he engineered the demo and is playing the guitar throughout the demo. One day, I'll post some of Beaird's Demoes, so you can see the contrast between some of my more Nashville sounding songs (Larry does a really good job) and this one here. I like my song, think it's pretty good, but I am always open to even the most brutal critiques, hehe. BTW, I agree with all of screener 253's comments, even though I'm fond of my song. It could use some work. I've written better stuff too. I'm learnin' Any critiques would be welcomed if y'all have the time. Another TAXI member has already done so via e-mail. Hope this link works. www.geocities.com/songwriter_205/Chitty-Stumble_on.mp3 I still can't get it to play.Could one of our techie genius's like Case or jeffe do a link.Hey, Johnny, AJ got it to work that way, but maybe Casey will post it, although it probably won't work. Mucho, sorry.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:21 am

I hear the Rutgers basketball team will be on Oprah... So there is a happy ending. They get to be stars on Oprah and hopefully Matto's or Dave Walton's music will be playing in the background!!! Casey

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:26 am

Quote:JEFFE, a group of folks used to be in a chat group with a guy for Manchester and a guy from London....he got referred to as a 'mid UKer." We also had a guy in the chat group who lived in London....I gotta say that I liked the London accent better. There were about 20 of us who chat about current events, and we'd voice chat on Friday nights. Chicks dig the accent! Don't worry, hehe, you don't have to take out a restraining order against me. Accents are funny things. My daughter and I kept on getting stopped in NY when they heard us talk. The most common question was "Love your accent. Where you from?".I remember wanting to get a photograph of my daughter with a NY cop, so I approached one just outside the Rockerfeller centre. Out of all the cops in New York, I managed to find the English one He was originally from a place that was only 30 miles from where I live. Here goes with that old worn out quote:"It's a small world"
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am

Quote:Quote:JEFFE, a group of folks used to be in a chat group with a guy for Manchester and a guy from London....he got referred to as a 'mid UKer." We also had a guy in the chat group who lived in London....I gotta say that I liked the London accent better. There were about 20 of us who chat about current events, and we'd voice chat on Friday nights. Chicks dig the accent! Don't worry, hehe, you don't have to take out a restraining order against me. Accents are funny things. My daughter and I kept on getting stopped in NY when they heard us talk. The most common question was "Love your accent. Where you from?".I remember wanting to get a photograph of my daughter with a NY cop, so I approached one just outside the Rockerfeller centre. Out of all the cops in New York, I managed to find the English one He was originally from a place that was only 30 miles from where I live. Here goes with that old worn out quote:"It's small world" I think American women particularily like a British accent. We used to have this British guy in one of my college classes, and all the women swooned over him. I wouldn't particuarly consider him the most attractive guy either, although he wasn't unattractive either. But when he spoke, the girls dropped at his feet...he was never at a loss for a date on that campus. I guess American females think of Mark Darcy when they think of British guys....or Heathcliff, one of those dark and romantic novels with a dark sort of guy who seems kind of cold, but yet, attainable in some sense. That drives women wild, hehe.Anyways, don't worry, I'm faithfully married, and you don't have to take out a restraining order, hehe, I'm just commenting on how that bad boy British guy image can work, although I think most British men are like American guys, just good regular guys.Anyway, y'all all have a good day!Guess I'm gonna go write some songs.