Second Opinion Needed

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

michal
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Second Opinion Needed

Post by michal » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:02 am

Hi friends,

I'd love to get a second opinion on my submission for the listing D221007NS.

-----------------------
Lots of HIP-HOP/TRAP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a globally distributed Music Licensing Company that's had a lot of success landing TONS of Major Network placements every year!

This Company is searching for a range of Instrumental Cues in All Tempos that could be heard on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:
https://youtu.be/MKr_idr2EwQ
https://youtu.be/3HFY0xuHybk
https://youtu.be/Zj2cK8wymIA
Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Send them well-produced Hip-Hop Instrumental Cues with driving Trap beats, memorable motifs, and top-notch arrangements. Modern Hip-Hop instrumentation will work best for this request. Craft your Cues around a central motif and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create a sense of forward motion and interest. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and fresh.

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
-----------------------

The screener returned my track and commented that it lacked a better melodic development but otherwise was in the right ballpark.

I would argue that (1) talking about melodic development in trap doesn't make that much sense anyway, and (2) in my experience with many placements in several big hip-hop reality shows, the tracks are usually stripped down of melody anyway. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it a strong enough reason for a return.

Am I being too married to my work, or is there merit to what I'm saying?

Thanks a lot,
Michal
Michal Sinka
Guitarist | Producer
----------------
www.michalsinka.com
www.linkedin.com/in/michalsinka

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Second Opinion Needed

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:32 am

michal wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:02 am
I would argue that (1) talking about melodic development in trap doesn't make that much sense anyway, and (2) in my experience with many placements in several big hip-hop reality shows, the tracks are usually stripped down of melody anyway. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it a strong enough reason for a return.
It's a well produced track and certainly in the wheelhouse of the ref track - where I would mark it down is it's too repetitive , the piano part goes around and around too much. I agree that in an artist track it doesn't make sense to have too much melodic development as they want us to concentrate on the vocal, but for sync tracks you often can't get away with something sounding too loop like.

Maybe if you used the original piano riff but extended it into an 8 bar pattern so it only loops half as often, or maybe do a call response thing with a new part. Anything just to get it to go some place different for a little while before coming back home.

I do agree that if they get placed then they may well just ignore all that and loop a small section but the job here is to get past the screener , and sometimes we have to make our tracks more varied and interesting for them first. Same goes for library owners - you have to attract them to the tracks even in in real life those extra bells and whistles end up on the cutting room floor. Think of it as a form of marketing.

Mark

michal
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Second Opinion Needed

Post by michal » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your feedback a lot, this is super helpful!
Michal Sinka
Guitarist | Producer
----------------
www.michalsinka.com
www.linkedin.com/in/michalsinka