seems like less is more is what is getting synced

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: seems like less is more is what is getting synced

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:15 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:27 am
Here's my thoughts on the topic, but others might have different perspectives.

All briefs, requirements, uses etc are different. Despite what some people seem to be searching for, there is no simple magic formula. You might as well ask "what should actors look like?" :). However, some things are very common in sync music, and the main one is for the music to sit beneath dialogue. In that case it could be low in volume but still needs to provide some sense of mood or emotion (just one). That might be easier to achieve with a stripped back mix than with an all-guns blazing mix. If the visual scene is delicate and detailed you might imagine very sparse instrumentation, but if its complex action you might imagine a busier production, although not necessarily to epic trailer proportions. Each TV show will have its own style, and maybe some production companies too.

I've heard it said on Taxi TV that its not uncommon for stripped or underscore mixes get used in preference to full mixes, therefore, as a broad generalisation I think your conclusion is a valid one for many circumstances. Like most things in life - it depends. Be guided by the briefs and their ref tracks. Also, as you have found, the answer to a lot of questions is there in front of you on TV, but I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution.
This response is about all I could ever ask for. It was more than I asked for. This is helping me out tremendously. Gonna buy you one at the next rally Telefunkin. Thanks.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:24 am

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 am
The TAXI listing for Nice Library ask you to bake a cake in a certain style. "We want wavy lines sort of like what this guy did (but don't copy him), in various shades of green."

You send in your wavy-lined cake and the Screener says: "Your green lines are too vertical and your icing is too smooth. We like the three tiers, though."

Then you watch a show and you see a three tier wavy-lined cake with vertical green lines on smooth icing and go 'huh'?'

The question then becomes: 'is my three tier wavy-lined smooth-icing'd cake made well enough to send to another listing looking for wavy lines, or should I bake another one?'

This, in a nutshell, is the composer-baker's dilemma. Some will tell you, 'that's a great cake', others will tell you 'that cake recipe needs work'.

If it appears that the cake itself IS well made then it's just a question of targeting your submission effectively.

Whatever happens, keep baking cakes. Practice makes progress.

Now I'm hungry... :D
Wow, that was heavy. Maybe ask the B-52s how to bake a cake. Thanks for the help. You made me feel better about myself. This racket can really put your ego in ck. I don't mind. Love meeting all of you great cats. One day I am going to make it!

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:29 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 am
Yea, now I want cake too! Vikki (Hummingbird), very well said! :D

Expecting every situation to be the same based on blanket advice is a bad path. One thing that confuses some Taxi members is that listings are generally very specific, tailored to a given need by a sup or library. If they already had tons of what's asked for there, they wouldn't be listing. They may have hundreds of just plain "great" cues in the general sense but not many like described in the listing. The screener feedback is relative to the listing requirements, even if they throw in general advice.

Also, much of advice on cues is not as mutually exclusive as some think. For example, keep a cue interesting by developing, laying in more instruments is possible without the cue becoming too distracting under dialogue. It's done every day by successful members here.

Again, this doesn't apply to ALL situations, but one good test to give your cue is listen and very low volume. What instruments jump out such that they may be distracting under dialogue?

Writing Film/TV music cues is generally NOT the same as writing for other types of projects.

:D Casey
That's great advice Casey! Yes. give it a listen at very low volume and watch what jumps out. Gonna try that.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:31 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:17 am
On the "less is more" front, many libraries ask for alt mixes such as "bass and drums", "no drums", "no lead guitar", "rhythm guitars only", etc. Almost always they want a "bed track" with no lead instrument. Why? Because sups need to be able to choose from these "less is more" options.

All the reality TV oriented libraries I work with ask for these. And I've heard my alt mixes used in quite a few placements.

:D Casey
Wow. This is so enlightening. Gotta buy you one if I ever make to a road rally. You are the BOSS! Thanks so much!

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:34 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:36 am
Try not to think of it as music. Try to think of it as wallpaper. Or Lego.
Exactly. Trying to do that for awhile but always getting distracted. ha. It's not music is painfully obvious. Lego? gonna try that one.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:44 am

superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:54 pm
BrianSteel wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:57 pm
If you want to listen to my song on my profile, it's called minuetto pizzicati (WAV).
unless you post a link here, it is not possible to find the track...
God Bless your soul.

https://www.taxi.com/my/artist/songs/9t ... icati-wav-

or

https://www.taxi.com/my/artist/songs/9t ... icati-wav-#

seems like neither link works for me. Maybe Taxi should take a look at this unless I f up, which is very likely.

update: I made it downloadable. So click on public/dowloadable and download it.

That's my tune. If you want the Verizon commercial, I have to go look for it.

Hope you like it!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:20 am

BrianSteel wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:34 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Exactly. Trying to do that for awhile but always getting distracted. ha. It's not music is painfully obvious. Lego? gonna try that one.
Made from blocks that can be easily slotted together

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:42 pm

superblonde wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:11 pm
Check the forwards blog to hear what is judged as suitable.. yeah it is a head scratcher for sure, especially when I am writing for other projects simultaneously which have exact opposite feedback ("too simple..try modulating..you should be using complex harmonies.. add some independent voices to the other instruments.." etc etc) whereas here for cues, it seems not valid advice at all.
Thank You. I will do that. I learned a lot of that past few days. One is that Hollywood production never put out a video about how they do it. So I have learned and going to get fowarded because this is all shh don't tell.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:20 am
BrianSteel wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:34 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Made from blocks that can be easily slotted together
I get what your saying although I don't know if it was in reference to my song. Anyway, Lego blocks in terms of being able to cut it up for their purposes? is that what your mean. I have come to understand
that sync music is not music at all but these layers of... so thank you I am really trying but I know in the end I am the only one with the drink in the hand at the end of the night with no payout. ce la vie. I am learning.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:01 pm

BrianSteel wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 pm
I get what your saying although I don't know if it was in reference to my song.
More of a general tip really but can apply to a lot of stuff
BrianSteel wrote:
Anyway, Lego blocks in terms of being able to cut it up for their purposes? is that what your mean.
Yes , if you think of it in terms of smaller pieces/chunks that are inter-changeable. So that might be 4 bar blocks that can be stacked but are still usable if you remove certain parts and easy to reassemble into a new shape ( to fit the scene )
BrianSteel wrote:
I am really trying but I know in the end I am the only one with the drink in the hand at the end of the night with no payout. ce la vie. I am learning.
Every day's a school day ! ...at least you have a drink :shock: