Sequencing Samples

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Sequencing Samples

Post by gongchime » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:44 am

O.K. I found out that my EmulatorX is bundled with Wave Lab Lite. I was able to download samples from my gamelan cd and now I'm ready to sequence. What do I do first? Would you use the Emulator X program, Cubasis or something else?GongchimeGetting a Clue.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sequencing Samples

Post by matto » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:30 am

Quote:O.K. I found out that my EmulatorX is bundled with Wave Lab Lite. I was able to download samples from my gamelan cd and now I'm ready to sequence. What do I do first? Would you use the Emulator X program, Cubasis or something else?Both. Not Wavelab. What do you mean by "download samples from my sample CD"? I thought it was a CD-ROM...I'm afraid I don't have time to give you an introduction to sampling, sequencing and digital recording techniques. It would take all day. There are resources for this...

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 am

Hi Gong,Unless the Emulator X has its own sequencer when working in 'standalone' mode (I don't know if it does but I'd say it's doubtful), you'll need to open it as a VST inside a host sequencer like Cubasis.The manual for Cubasis will tell you how to open a VST instrument (or VSTi) in the program.

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gongchime » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Dear Matto and Mani,yeah as I said in another thread. The folder which is supposed to have the manual is empty and I can't read the manual straight from the disk. There's something wrong with it. Sweetwater has sent me the manual but it's somewhere between America or Ireland and Korea at the moment. I don't you need to tell me everything all at once Matt. Just the first couple of steps to give me something to run with. Dear Mani, I don't really know what "open it as a VST" means. What is VST?Gongchime

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:00 pm

Quote:I don't you need to tell me everything all at once Matt. Just the first couple of steps to give me something to run with.Greg, it's not that easy, when you lack the basic background knowledge...which you prove with this question: Quote:Dear Mani, I don't really know what "open it as a VST" means. What is VST?I like to help people, but you have to be willing to help yourself first. All the basic information on midi and sequencing and sampling is widely available. It's not a good use of my time to dispense information that you can just find yourself if you're willing to look.I'd rather help people with information that's hard or impossible to come by, if and when I can.Nothing personal...just have to prioritize to manage my time.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:15 pm

The manual for Cubasis 4.0 is available here:http://computing.unn.ac.uk/staff/cgpv1/ ... ces.htmThe link is near the bottom of the page.

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gongchime » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:02 am

Well, one way I access the widely available information is through discussion boards such as this one. I'm a member of about 10 composition/production boards and am just getting around to the production aspect. I have asked on just about every one of them not just to you and have been getting some assistance here and there.As I said, I had requested the Manual and have been conversing A LOT with both the Sweetwater tech support and the Emu tech support both by email and by long distance telephone so it's not like I'm just sitting on my ass expecting people to spoon feed me all the information. Learning this new software has been an inordinate amount of work. Primarily because of all the problems with getting the sound to work and overcoming MANY MANY glitches such as no manual among a long list of other things. It has been several weeks since I purchased it and it's still not all resolved. But I keep chipping away at it a little bit every day. I also have a limited amount of the resource called time and have been squandering it on overcoming the softwares problems instead of using/learning it's features.Sometimes, I just find it much easier to understand this stuff when it's presented in a human voice instead of the way it's presented in manuals. I'm positive others and possibly even yourself will concur that learning things from a knowledgeable mentor is the BEST way to learn stuff of this nature. You can get tripped up for days and even weeks by the overwhelming amount of new, seemingly obscure, vocabulary in manuals if you haven't been previously initiated into it's narrative as I most decidedly have not.A good mentor smoothes that right over. You don't want to be my mentor? O.K. It's not for everybody.Further, the information may not be as widely available as you might suspect. Take for example the link Mani provided me with for accessing the Cubasis Manual. The computer wouldn't open it because it doesn't have adobe acrobat reader. When I tried to download it, the computer wouldn't let me because well, it's not my computer. It's a computer cafe' and perhaps the proprietor has installed something that prevents me from downloading what he considers to be a lot of crap on his computers.My computer with the emulator X software on it, I have been told, should be dedicated to music production not other stuff such as searching the internet so I haven't installed a connection. I have not been a computer musician before until I took YOUR advice to buy this software in the first place. But I understand you're busy and it's not your job. If you do find a little time at some point. Maybe you could throw me a bone.Gongchime

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 am

Quote:As I said, I had requested the Manual and have been conversing A LOT with both the Sweetwater tech support and the Emu tech support both by email and by long distance telephone so it's not like I'm just sitting on my ass expecting people to spoon feed me all the information. Learning this new software has been an inordinate amount of work. Primarily because of all the problems with getting the sound to work and overcoming MANY MANY glitches such as no manual among a long list of other things. It has been several weeks since I purchased it and it's still not all resolved. But I keep chipping away at it a little bit every day. I also have a limited amount of the resource called time and have been squandering it on overcoming the softwares problems instead of using/learning it's features.Greg,Wait for the manual to arrive before you begin. Thank you... that'll be $500. Dave

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:52 am

Quote:I have not been a computer musician before until I took YOUR advice to buy this software in the first place. But I understand you're busy and it's not your job. If you do find a little time at some point. Maybe you could throw me a bone.Gong,Far be it from me to talk for Matto, but as I recall his advice to you on buying this software was based on your description of what you were trying to accomplish. As such, it was tailored specifically to what you wanted to do and was the cheapest, most simple and, to my knowledge, best advice you could have gotten anywhere.You didn't pick up a Gamelan and start playing like a pro the very first day did you? Same thing applies to everything else. Yes it is a pain in the ass dealing with peripheral stuff when you JUST want to be making music but the time you put into learning now WILL save you more time in the long run. And FYI, a manual is always better than a mentor as you can consult it ad nauseum without annoying the sh*t out of it!

gongchime
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gongchime » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:47 pm

I was finally able to view the manual. In Cubasis the Index is alphabetical. When I look under "S" for sample it says Sample Rate. That's it. When I do a search for import samples it says Import Recycle File which relates to a looping file. Whcih both are not what I'm looking for so I read it from top to bottom and didn't say ANYTHING about how to get my synth to play the samples I've downloaded. Or how to paste them into an audio part. If I just go there and try to do it. I click on the audio part and I get an error message. The sounds are supposed to be mapped to my midi keyboard but I don't see how to play them that way. I was also able to view both the Emulator X manual and the Wave Lab Lite manual. After turning the computer back on the next day. Can I find the files for all the parts I've supposedly downloaded of the gamelan sample cd? No. What does the Wave Lab Lite Manual say about it? Next to nothing.Now that I have the manuals they seem to be of little or no help. I'll keep looking at them trying to figure it out but my initial asessment of them is that they posess an INADEQUATE amount of information for what I'm trying to accomplish. I've seen similar comments on the Cubasis forum about their manual.Hence the need for tech support and product forums populated by people and not responseless blobs of ink on a piece of paper or pixels on a screen.