'Sexist' lyrics

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

og
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 'Sexist' lyrics

Post by og » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:34 am

There is a new (to me) song playing on the blues show on our community radio station called "It's Going Down" by Denise LaSalle. She's talking to her best friend, who tried to take her man. The chorus;It's goin' down, girl,Ain't gonna be no fool no more.You got an ass-kickin' comin'So you might as well come on out that door!First time I heard it, I almost wrecked the truck.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:58 am

Quote:Quote:Stand By Yer Man. I have absolutely no way of adequately expressing my feelings about that song, chits. Don't get me wrong, I love Tammy Wynette.....they just don't make 'em like her anymore....old time, soulful country. I was sad to see her pass on. I've always loved "Stand By Your Man" simply because it's a classic, but it certainly didn't do much to further women's causes, hehe. And it may have even contributed to the 'little woman' getting abuse 'coz afterall, 'he's just a man.'Maybe we could talk about "Loretty.' Now those are some good songs, if you want tough women role models from the past....... songs like, "The Pill", and "Don't Come Home a Drinkin' With Loving On Your Mind." "Fist City' just plain cracks me up. Loretta was supposedly the first feminist country singer, although now, she's a staunch Repub, hehe.I'm kind of apolitical as I grow older....I just look at all this from a humorous standpoint. Being a 'Suthern' girl like you, my roles models are Emmy Lou Harris, Nanci Griffith (God, I love her stuff) and Linda Ronstadt....and of course, some Joni thrown in there.And then there is Tanya Tucker....she's one of my faves too.Emmy, Nancy (is she brilliant or what??), Linda.......yep, I'm a huge fan too. As for feminism.....I don't even know where to start there. I like when men open doors for me but don't like it when they act like I don't know what I'm talking about in the studio (until I show them). It's a quandary.And changing men? Forget it. Women change. Men.....change channels.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:34 pm

Quote:Quote:Don't get me wrong, I love Tammy Wynette.....they just don't make 'em like her anymore....old time, soulful country. I was sad to see her pass on. I've always loved "Stand By Your Man" simply because it's a classic, but it certainly didn't do much to further women's causes, hehe. And it may have even contributed to the 'little woman' getting abuse 'coz afterall, 'he's just a man.'Maybe we could talk about "Loretty.' Now those are some good songs, if you want tough women role models from the past....... songs like, "The Pill", and "Don't Come Home a Drinkin' With Loving On Your Mind." "Fist City' just plain cracks me up. Loretta was supposedly the first feminist country singer, although now, she's a staunch Repub, hehe.I'm kind of apolitical as I grow older....I just look at all this from a humorous standpoint. Being a 'Suthern' girl like you, my roles models are Emmy Lou Harris, Nanci Griffith (God, I love her stuff) and Linda Ronstadt....and of course, some Joni thrown in there.And then there is Tanya Tucker....she's one of my faves too.Emmy, Nancy (is she brilliant or what??), Linda.......yep, I'm a huge fan too. As for feminism.....I don't even know where to start there. I like when men open doors for me but don't like it when they act like I don't know what I'm talking about in the studio (until I show them). It's a quandary.And changing men? Forget it. Women change. Men.....change channels. I like Nanci's "Drive In Movies and Dashboard Lights." Her songwriting skills are just unbelievable. My biggest problem with men is that I still look kind of 'baby faced' and they want to treat me like a kid sometimes, but then again, so does my mother-in-law. We won't get started on mother-in-laws. Once my mother-in-law came to visit, and I was making a salad, and she looked at me and said, "oh, what a mature young lady you are. You can make a salad just like a grownup." I looked at her and said,"well, I'm 35, I certainly hope so."She actually thought she was giving me compliment, God love her....she's a sweet woman, but sometimes, the mother part of her drives me a wee bit crazy, hehe. Years, later, she still babies me, aye carumba.Anyway, you folks have a nice weekend....gonna sign off.

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:05 am

I have always had a thing for the female singer/songwriter. (if you have visited any of my 'signature links' you probably guessed that by now).I guess that's why the "sexist" lyrics that drive me the most crazy are the ones like Midnight Train to Georgia and Saving all my Love. At first listen they sound like your ordinary (extraordinary in the case if midnight train) love song, but they are really justifying being the other woman. Now I am not up on Steve's soapbox claiming to be perfect. Love can happen in the strangest of circumstances, it's just that these songs have that feel about them of a women with a lying POS married man, and they kind of glamorize it, making it seem ok to be the other women.I guess I have known too many women in that position and have spent a lot of time trying to show them they can do much better to not get irked by songs that reinforce this behavior.Huh, I guess I was up on that soapbox. Hey, I kind of like it up here, I can almost see my house.....Rob

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Post by bobbydazzler » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:59 pm

Quote:Okay, I'm not a 'feminazi', (just kidding) but I think it's humorous to hear some songs from years ago which show how attititudes toward women have changed over the years. Listening to alot of hip hip lyrics nowadays i think the ladies had it good in the "good ol' days!"

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:31 am

Quote:Quote:Okay, I'm not a 'feminazi', (just kidding) but I think it's humorous to hear some songs from years ago which show how attititudes toward women have changed over the years. Listening to alot of hip hip lyrics nowadays i think the ladies had it good in the "good ol' days!" Hey, Bobby. I like hip hop. But some of those lyrics can be pretty rough, I will admit.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:37 am

Quote:I have always had a thing for the female singer/songwriter. (if you have visited any of my 'signature links' you probably guessed that by now).I guess that's why the "sexist" lyrics that drive me the most crazy are the ones like Midnight Train to Georgia and Saving all my Love. At first listen they sound like your ordinary (extraordinary in the case if midnight train) love song, but they are really justifying being the other woman. Now I am not up on Steve's soapbox claiming to be perfect. Love can happen in the strangest of circumstances, it's just that these songs have that feel about them of a women with a lying POS married man, and they kind of glamorize it, making it seem ok to be the other women.I guess I have known too many women in that position and have spent a lot of time trying to show them they can do much better to not get irked by songs that reinforce this behavior.Huh, I guess I was up on that soapbox. Hey, I kind of like it up here, I can almost see my house.....RobI guess you're making the point that women can write less than stellar lyrics too, (with regards to women's issues) and I won't disagree with that, Dusty.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:00 am

I've always wondered about that. How come cheatin' songs are so dang popular? I mean, are there THAT many people out there having affairs (or being had) or what??

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:25 am

Quote:I've always wondered about that. How come cheatin' songs are so dang popular? I mean, are there THAT many people out there having affairs (or being had) or what?? I don't know, Squids. I'm thinking a lot of these women (or men) who sang these type songs sure led lives that most of us don't, hehe.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 am

Oh. My.Clearly, I need to get out more. Or not.