She Doesn't Believe in Gravity

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

She Doesn't Believe in Gravity

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:08 pm

Hey guys -- This isn't for a specific listing, but I'm hoping to make this song sound more contemporary and looking for constructive feedback: https://soundcloud.com/thecontraires/sh ... in-gravity

Thank you,
DK
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: She Doesn't Believe in Gravity

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:42 am

Hi Douglas

It has a somewhat throwback vibe from the get go.

The lead synth sound is probably the main offender, also the drums sound very much like a drum machine, with a robotic pattern & the exact same programmed HH all the way through etc. The vocal style & delivery also give off a late 80s to early 90s type feel.

I think the lyrics work for sync and the performances are fine but It sounds more like a song that was written/recorded back in the day than something current ? The type of melodic patterns used, the guitar FX etc all add to this feeling.

@ 1.07 I was expecting the chorus to lift off but it doesn't - there's no change in vocal register or note pattern, nothing to give it the sectional contrast to say " this is the chorus "

I'm not sure whether it would be worth reworking to sound more contemporary because the bones of it are still that 80's - 90s vibe. Sure, you could change the drums , update all the keys , sing it in a more contemporary way and write a better chorus but it's probably as much work as writing something new with more contemporary references.

Mark

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

Hi DK Liked your smile and your voice. Just a few thoughts. There are places in the track kinda dead where the vox is sparse. five minutes is a bit long. I have never seen a waveform so flat on top. ha ha I did hear the vox come through very well tho. The song title is a little strange. I am not a mixologist, listen to the pros who visit here to help polish this track. good luck

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:30 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:42 am
Hi Douglas

It has a somewhat throwback vibe from the get go.

The lead synth sound is probably the main offender, also the drums sound very much like a drum machine, with a robotic pattern & the exact same programmed HH all the way through etc. The vocal style & delivery also give off a late 80s to early 90s type feel.

I think the lyrics work for sync and the performances are fine but It sounds more like a song that was written/recorded back in the day than something current ? The type of melodic patterns used, the guitar FX etc all add to this feeling.

@ 1.07 I was expecting the chorus to lift off but it doesn't - there's no change in vocal register or note pattern, nothing to give it the sectional contrast to say " this is the chorus "

I'm not sure whether it would be worth reworking to sound more contemporary because the bones of it are still that 80's - 90s vibe. Sure, you could change the drums , update all the keys , sing it in a more contemporary way and write a better chorus but it's probably as much work as writing something new with more contemporary references.

Mark
Thanks very much for the detailed feedback, Mark, I appreciate it. I may try to re-work it, but you're right, it will take a lot, so we'll see....
Cheers,
DK

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:32 pm

feaker66 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am
Hi DK Liked your smile and your voice. Just a few thoughts. There are places in the track kinda dead where the vox is sparse. five minutes is a bit long. I have never seen a waveform so flat on top. ha ha I did hear the vox come through very well tho. The song title is a little strange. I am not a mixologist, listen to the pros who visit here to help polish this track. good luck

Paul
Hey Paul, thanks for listening and for your comments! I am considering a complete re-working of the song, and if so will work to avoid those 'dead' zones. All the best,
DK