Should I ask the publisher for a fee?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bmsmusic

Should I ask the publisher for a fee?

Post by bmsmusic » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:45 am

Hi! I’ve been asked by a publisher that signed two tracks from a previous taxi pitch to write more tracks for an album. I’ve heard that some publishers pay a composing fee for these types of commissions but I don’t know how to ask for this, and if the normally do that.

What is your experience?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Should I ask the publisher for a fee?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:03 am

bmsmusic wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:45 am
Hi! I’ve been asked by a publisher that signed two tracks from a previous taxi pitch to write more tracks for an album. I’ve heard that some publishers pay a composing fee for these types of commissions but I don’t know how to ask for this, and if the normally do that.

What is your experience?
Very rare that any will pay up front unless it's a big library and you have something exceptional to offer. Did they pay you anything for the first two tracks ? Because there's your answer.

Sometimes you get a little something if they are asking you to give up part of your share like a Sync buyout where you'd never get any share of the Sync Fees so they comensate you on the front end.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:24 am

I would answer, "no" as well. Maybe after you've signed A LOT more tracks with the library and built more of a long relationship, but for now, leave that alone. It could also turn them off to you. As cosmicdolphin said, upfront money is becoming more and more rare these days- the supply and demand curve is on their side.

:D Casey

bmsmusic

Post by bmsmusic » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:39 pm

Thanks for your input!