Sign as a publisher & Composer

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Sign as a publisher & Composer

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi Are there Taxi members who signed up with a pro as composer and publisher? If so what are the pros and cons?
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sign as a publisher & Composer

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:16 pm

Thanks, Tom Reading your reply I assume you are with BMI. At the moment I am with A.S.C.A.P Not sure if I am right but i heard that BMI DOES BETTER WITH INSTRUMENTALS . A.S.C.A.P IS GREAT IF YOU PLAY IN A BAND I am probably totally off base. I know as of Oct 1st I will be RESIGNING from A..S.C.A.P Thoughts
Ron
R
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 pm

As others said, if you are with BMI you do not need a publishing company to collect the publisher's share. If that share is not assigned, it goes to the writer as "excess clearance". However, with ASCAP, you can NOT collect the publisher's share without a publishing company. If you are with a non-US PRO, check with them as to their policy. I know some foreign PROs handle it as BMI does, e.g. you don't need a publishing company. Gotta check though.

This is important because (1) Some libraries split publishing with composers. The Taxi friendly library that does those daytime soap placement does, for example. (2) In the event of a direct to sup placement, you would be entitled to the publisher's share.

Best,
:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Thanks Casey
RON

ppetruccelli

Post by ppetruccelli » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:19 pm

But is it also the case that if you're with BMI, and your song gets used in a foreign country (e.g., on TV), you'll still get the publisher share as well as the writer share? I thought there was a risk that when it's used overseas, the sub-publisher income might get left on the table by me. Does that not happen if you're with BMI?