with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Simple Maths for Music Production

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Hey CTWF!

Thanks for the write-up. It's awesome that you are so willing to help!

I noticed you mentioned using audacity as your DAW. Have you ever checked into Reaper? It's a "pay if and when you can" sort of application with a ton of great features, and it is very very versatile. It's also got some killer plugins built right in.

I am positive it outshines audacity in almost every way in regards to making music, and it would even help with keeping track of stuff like bpm, subdivisions, etc.

https://www.reaper.fm/

Might be worth checking out. Have a great day!

Andrew
ResonantToneMusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 pm
Maybe most DAWs make things like this easy
No kidding ! I don't think there is DAW out there that doesn't do all this for you. It must be hugely time consuming to make production music this way ?
CTWF wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 pm
but I only use Audacity, a software which does not know or care what bpm I am working at.
Well it's an audio editor really..a virtual tape recorder..not really a DAW...I would put the calculator away and get a free copy of Cakewalk or cheap copy of Reaper

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Tom,

Even Einstein's head is spinning from all that math!!!!

Using that software you have, is like trying to build a modern car and you're using a hammer and nails.
My suggestion...put away the quill pen and oil lamp and get a REAL DAW! …. TODAY!

Of course....my 2 cents...as always,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:17 am

Mostly, I am postponing learning a DAW because I feel I don't have the time at the moment.
I think you will find plenty of time to learn a new DAW if you're no longer calculating BPM's and beat subdivisions with a calculator. Sheesh, I can't imagine the time you've sunk into this. I think I'd go crazy after making a half of a cue this way......

This is like reading a story about a medieval chamber woman who was transplanted into 2019, and is still heating up buckets of hot water over a fire and pouring them into a bathtub every night for a soak, without realizing you just have to turn a faucet on and wha-lah.

The science and math behind subdivision of beats is cool, I guess, though to be honest seems like unnecessary knowledge.

~~Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:22 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm
The time consuming part, however, is recording melody elsewhere, e.g. creating a MIDI with MuseScore, then playing it into the Yamaha synth for a nice VI, and then recording this back into Audacity for mixing.
Wow you're really making life hard for yourself ....this is similar to how we were working in the late 80's !

There is no need now, we have very mature fully fledged DAWs from zero cost to many hundreds, plus a vast array of virtual instruments and FX at all budgets. I think it would be very hard to compete in this industry without the right tools, from both a production and workflow standpoint.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 am

My brain short circuits when having to deal with numbers. When writing music I like to rely on my intuition, and just use my ears. I guess theres a lot more math behind that, than I realized :lol:
Ceo of my own life