Simple Studio/workstation

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Simple Studio/workstation

Post by TheElement » Fri May 29, 2020 3:30 am

Not really a studio but it gets the job done. I love minimal clean setups. Less is more in my head I guess.

I'm running a gaming Dell XPS 8700 pc with 32G ram, 64 bit with Windows 7. Its old. lol

Cubase pro 8.5
Multiple VST's. like Nexus, Spire, A.N.A, NR The Kick, Kontakt, Trillian, and a few others but try not to have too many.
M- Audio AV42 monitors
Komplete Audio6 Interface
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones
AKAI LPK25 midi keyboard
Shure SM58 mic with pop filter
and I got a cheap Dean 4 string bass guitar.

Most everything is done in the box.

All the best,
Gavin
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Simple Studio/workstation

Post by cassmcentee » Fri May 29, 2020 7:11 am

And that folks is how you make Million Dollar Music!
Question Gavin: How often do you get to hear your mixes in a bigger setting?
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 pm

cassmcentee wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:11 am
And that folks is how you make Million Dollar Music!
Question Gavin: How often do you get to hear your mixes in a bigger setting?
lol

Don't have anywhere I can play my mixes in bigger setting right now. I got a friend who lets me listen in his car. He has a great system. but with the corona thing no one meeting up like that right now.

I think I might as well get a sub. I didn't think it a good idea as you can see from my tiled floor and no room treatment. I rent so cant do any of that. The space just isnt right for it but maybe a sub is better than no sub?
Last edited by TheElement on Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri May 29, 2020 2:16 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:43 pm
The same micophone we have... :mrgreen: topic145089.html
The sm58 is very similar to the sm7B soundwise. I decided on the sm58 so my cowriters could lay down and relax while writing using the microphone. I have the foam pop filter for it just in case.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 pm

That looks great! I'm operating a much more simple setup myself. I use pretty much just my Mac, a decent interface (Apogee) and a good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 650s). My room is sh... so monitor speakers are only good for casual listening in my case as certain frequencies simply don't 'exist' at my listening position :D I have one of these Auratone speakers to check the balance between tracks in mono and the other two things I use are Izotope Tonal Balance 2 and, well, my ears (took some time to train myself to get the right feel as to how loud stuff in the center should be listening on headphones so that it translates back to speakers well).
Cheers,
Matt

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm

MBantle wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 pm
That looks great! I'm operating a much more simple setup myself. I use pretty much just my Mac, a decent interface (Apogee) and a good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 650s). My room is sh... so monitor speakers are only good for casual listening in my case as certain frequencies simply don't 'exist' at my listening position :D I have one of these Auratone speakers to check the balance between tracks in mono and the other two things I use are Izotope Tonal Balance 2 and, well, my ears (took some time to train myself to get the right feel as to how loud stuff in the center should be listening on headphones so that it translates back to speakers well).
Cheers,
Matt
Thanks Matt! 8-) Nice! Simple is sometimes better. :D