Singer/Songwriter/Top Liner Seeking Producer

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KathrynH223

Singer/Songwriter/Top Liner Seeking Producer

Post by KathrynH223 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:44 am

Hello fellow TAXI members,
My name is Kathryn and I’ve been submitting my original songs to TAXI for several months now. The feedback that I consistently receive is that my production quality isn’t high enough to meet the industry standards. So far I’ve been producing everything myself but I’ve decided to try a different approach and see if I get better results.

I have a wide variety of material in my current catalog ranging from pop to funk to R&B/soul, to reggae, rock, blues & more stripped-down singer/songwriter stuff as well. I’m open to co-writing new material as well. My husband also writes bass lines and makes beats. We frequently collaborate on songs together.

We’re looking for a producer who has plenty of experience and is willing to help us take our work to the next level. We are open to negotiating a split of the royalties if any future deals are signed.

Please take a listen to the following reference tracks and let me know if you might be interested in working with us. I look forward to hearing from you.

Peace, Love and Music
✌🏼💜🎵
Kathryn

Break The Ceiling https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... he-ceiling

Real One
https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... A-real-one

I Believe In You https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... eve-in-you

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Singer/Songwriter/Top Liner Seeking Producer

Post by melodymessiah » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:04 pm

if you can't find anyone in here, try fiverr ;)

WarnerBorgia

Post by WarnerBorgia » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi Kathryn
I can understand what you mean, the quality of production is one of the main problems for many of us.
In any case I like what I've listened and I decided to try to post my first reply.
As for plenty of experience producer, I'm sorry to disappoint you, maybe I'm not the person you require, but if you want we can try to do something on the songs you gave as reference (just 1 minute per song) so you can decide if it's worth it; no stress, easy.
If you check my Taxi profile you'll find instrumental works but not songs: our pronunciation won't meet Taxi's requirements (I'm writing from Italy). So... the production problems aren't the only ones... maybe I've made a lot of mistakes in this message too :oops:
Please let me know if you can be interested in a cooperation.
Peace, love, music and spaghetti.
W.

KathrynH223

Post by KathrynH223 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:00 pm

Hello W,
Thanks for replying. Your English is better than my Italian! And I do love to buy imported spaghetti from Italy :D It is called Tiberino’s.

We would be happy to hear what you can do with the songs. I don’t mind if it’s only a minute. Can you post a link to your profile so I can listen to your instrumentals; I can’t find your profile anywhere.

Thanks,
Kathryn
P.S. (I live in Texas so the time here is central time.)

WarnerBorgia

Post by WarnerBorgia » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:24 am

Hi K

Glad you replied and sorry for the delay, I've been away, then under birthday parties and.... you know how it goes.
Here's a link to my Taxi page https://www.taxi.com/members/jWzuFx2LRs ... ner-borgia
I believe you won't find anything in line with your songs here, but if you wish we can get in touch private so I can let you listen some stuff from my hard disk. (I'm a bit shy to put all on display, since some works are not closed and many made with a previous older plugin setting that my current one).

If you send me a message through my book page https://www.facebook.com/warner.m.borgia we can exchange our e-mails and "speak" more comfortably (at least for me hehehe).

Hope to hear from you soon.
W.

darkbluerooms

Post by darkbluerooms » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:16 pm

I like it, and wouldn't mind taking a crack at Real One. But I'm imagining a more trap/hip-hop type of beat, not so much reggae. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in checking out. You can find my music by looking up Dark Blue Rooms. I recommend 1000 Cuts and Residue for more current pop/urban ish sounding stuff. Also check In My Blood on my Taxi profile. Cheers.

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:54 am

WarnerBorgia wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:10 pm
Peace, love, music and spaghetti.
W.
That made me smile 8-) Cheers for that :-)

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:01 am

KathrynH223 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:44 am
Hello fellow TAXI members,
My name is Kathryn and I’ve been submitting my original songs to TAXI for several months now. The feedback that I consistently receive is that my production quality isn’t high enough to meet the industry standards. So far I’ve been producing everything myself but I’ve decided to try a different approach and see if I get better results.

I have a wide variety of material in my current catalog ranging from pop to funk to R&B/soul, to reggae, rock, blues & more stripped-down singer/songwriter stuff as well. I’m open to co-writing new material as well. My husband also writes bass lines and makes beats. We frequently collaborate on songs together.

We’re looking for a producer who has plenty of experience and is willing to help us take our work to the next level. We are open to negotiating a split of the royalties if any future deals are signed.

Please take a listen to the following reference tracks and let me know if you might be interested in working with us. I look forward to hearing from you.

Peace, Love and Music
✌🏼💜🎵
Kathryn

Break The Ceiling https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... he-ceiling

Real One
https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... A-real-one

I Believe In You https://www.taxi.com/members/2FbhbdWIR8 ... eve-in-you
Did they give you particular info as to what exactly doesn't meet industry standards? I've been listening here on my MacBook speakers (so I can't judge on the low end), but what I can hear sounds good to me. Tight timing, good intonation, nice voice.
Maybe a bit of glue missing, but all in all......hhhhhhmmmm maybe I'm too bad either - although I hardly had such a reason for a return :?

Which DAW do you use? I'm on Logic Pro.

KathrynH223

Post by KathrynH223 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for replying. Here are some additional details from the TAXI screeners.

Feedback for “Real One”

What I like most about this song

Interesting vocal tone & performance. Cool melodies.

I think you could improve this song by

Drum samples don't quite match the quality & contemporary feel of the reference tracks. Vocal mix could be improved with EQ.

I returned or forwarded this song because

Returned because the overall production quality of this song doesn't quite match with what is required by the listing.

Recording and Production:

Not high enough demo quality as requested
Production not strong enough to help "sell" the song
Recording quality not clean and clear as requested
Some instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality

Break The Ceiling Feedback:

Tempo wise this is in the right ballpark.

In order to be right for this listing you'd need to update this overall sound to be more modern. Collaborating with an additional producer is also a way to do that.

this isn't standing out as compelling as needed alongside their references to make a competitive pitch

Recording and Production

So as you can see, most of the feedback I’ve received is about the production quality. I know singing and songwriting is my main strength so it’s not a big surprise that my production doesn’t quite meet their standards, just a bit disappointing. That’s why I’m taking their advice and opening up to the possibility of working with other producers. It would actually take a load off and allow me to focus more on the writing side. I produced these two songs on GarageBand (the iOS version), but now I have switched to Cakewalk which is a huge learning curve for me. It’s quite frustrating, but eventually I will learn. There’s so many parameters to control, I don’t even know where to start! Lol. I see a lot of YouTube tutorials in my future...

Peace love and music
Kathryn

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:11 am

KathrynH223 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 pm
Hi Stefan,
Thanks for replying. Here are some additional details from the TAXI screeners.

Feedback for “Real One”

Interesting vocal tone & performance. Cool melodies.

Drum samples don't quite match the quality & contemporary feel of the reference tracks. Vocal mix could be improved with EQ.

Returned because the overall production quality of this song doesn't quite match with what is required by the listing.

Recording and Production:

Production not strong enough to help "sell" the song
Recording quality not clean and clear as requested
Some instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality

Break The Ceiling Feedback:

Tempo wise this is in the right ballpark.

In order to be right for this listing you'd need to update this overall sound to be more modern. Collaborating with an additional producer is also a way to do that.

this isn't standing out as compelling as needed alongside their references to make a competitive pitch

Recording and Production

So as you can see, most of the feedback I’ve received is about the production quality. I know singing and songwriting is my main strength so it’s not a big surprise that my production doesn’t quite meet their standards, just a bit disappointing. That’s why I’m taking their advice and opening up to the possibility of working with other producers. It would actually take a load off and allow me to focus more on the writing side. I produced these two songs on GarageBand (the iOS version), but now I have switched to Cakewalk which is a huge learning curve for me. It’s quite frustrating, but eventually I will learn. There’s so many parameters to control, I don’t even know where to start! Lol. I see a lot of YouTube tutorials in my future...

Peace love and music
Kathryn
Hi Kathryn,
I will have a listen in the next few days on my studio monitors, when I'll be back in the studio and give you feedback.
Okay, Garageband is not the best tool to produce industry-standard.
Can't say much about Cakewalk...
Maybe the screener have heard stuff which could be treated with things like subtractiv EG, compression, glue etc.
Regarding modern sounds I seem to be the wrong person. I'm more of the retro kind-of-style guy :-)
Maybe thats one reason for which I like what you do ;-)
Cheerio/Stefan