Single Motif Confusion

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kalliergo

Single Motif Confusion

Post by kalliergo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am

I am still unclear about spec descriptions.

"Please submit top-tier Instrumental Cues with dramatic Orchestral instrumentation. Craft your submissions around a singular motif and mood, and build to a climactic finish by layering instrumentation in as they progress. Your production should be polished, and any virtual Orchestral instruments you use should sound like the real deal and not stiff or obviously MIDI-driven. Imagine the type of music you might hear at a cliff-hanger moment before a commercial break during a TV show like NCIS – that's what this Library is looking for."

The references for this opp were very short - 15 - 30 secs and very repetitive.

I submitted a cue that was built around a melodic and rhythmical motif where every 4 bars there was a variation, primarily melodic. The track included a developmental arc with a big ending. (I know this is subjective)

The return I received was the following.

"This was a fun listen and it was close, but it needs more variation, less repetition and a more dramatic ending that offers a little resolve."

My question is that if a track is suppose to be built around a singular motif does that not imply "some" repetition, albeit with layers/variation added and perhaps a B section?

How do you all define "variation?"

Thanks!

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Single Motif Confusion

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 am

Hi Kalliergo,
Everything you are describing in your process seems right. And, yes, I do think some repetition is implied by the listing. What you describe also seems like it would be a good definition of variation.

Just to spitfire:
Is it possible that the "singular motif" itself was a bit too short prior to applying the process you describe?

Perhaps a longer "singular motif" - longer phrasing . . . before the repetition might help?

Or a singular motif that is like an A1 then A2 type of thing prior to the repetition - meaning a motif followed by a slight variation on that motif . . . before the repetition?

If you linked to your specific track, you might get some great targeted feedback from some smarter folks than me here on the forum.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:32 am

kalliergo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am
My question is that if a track is suppose to be built around a singular motif does that not imply "some" repetition, albeit with layers/variation added and perhaps a B section?
A better phrase might be " singular emotion "
kalliergo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am
How do you all define "variation?"
Try this thread

topic146048.html?hilit=avoiding

kalliergo

Post by kalliergo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Cosmic and Johnny.

I agree, it is much clearer when you think of it as a singular "emotion" rather than "motif."