Sitar in Fire! - Old gig on YouTube

Got a gig? Looking to Gig? Post it up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Sitar in Fire! - Old gig on YouTube

Post by allends » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:58 am

I just stumbled upon this video of one of my gigs back in 2004.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3t15RQ57-8My young friend, the tabla player, and I performed together at several Asian functions, but this one was the noisiest. Personally, I think this video is hilarious! I would really like to hear from the gigging musicians in this forum: Tell us about your most infamous gigs!BTW: The title of this thread comes from the "backdrop" in the video. LOL Let me know if you see the humor!-Allen

mikegoudreau
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Sitar in Fire! - Old gig on YouTube

Post by mikegoudreau » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Hey Allen,I checked out the you tube...Noisy crowd indeed....The music was cool though ! I played 14 gigs at The Bell Center in Montreal in 2003 during the Montreal Canadiens hockey games...We played a 15 minute set before the game and little 10 to 15 second interventions when there was a whistle until the puck dropped in between the organ player and the disco... This was about as lame as it gets...But the money was decent and we had our stage set up in the red seats about 10 rows from the goalie...So that was cool to be close to the action...Not a very fun gig to play but did fill in the holes in the months of Jan-Feb-March...Too bad the Canadiens really sucked and got eliminated from the play-offs that year. I have a ton of stories like that...But that one kinds stuck out in head. Cheers, Mike

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am

hey Allen...im really sorry all those people chose to be so darn noisy~but it sounded good (minus the blabber mouths:( hmm horror story;)...i guess one musicians horror storycould be another's glory...mine? err..kind of embarrassing...just before i moved to Korea i was recruited to bein a well-known semi-local band in Detroit headed by a catnamed "Joe Cain" i think you get the name trick;)well Joe Cain was a talented front man and the rest of the band as well...rap n' roll (ala kid rock)i was just a hack on the keyboards, but they needed meand it was kind of a break for me: )we were to play one BIG show in Detroit..i picked my duds out towear, all black, simple and somewhat stylish.Joe had me positioned up high on a riser about 10 meters offthe stage to the left:O good thing i wast too afraid of heights..but here's the thing...as the band took their places, i took mineJoe looks back and says..."geoff! take off your shirt!!"i reply "um...are you crazy..have you seen me with my shirt off?"i make toothpaste want to wear shades when it sees me!"but Joe didn't care, he was a BIG guy all muscles and gave me thislook ...a look that said...do it, punk. so i did....i was SOOOO embarrassed! im not a big guy but nor am i skinny...and through the whole show i sucked it in without break.ha~ i was soo scared to see my good friend that i invited to theshow..i KNEW he would make fun of me....so...the show ended...i put my shirt back on...and i went throughthe crowd to go hunt down my friend and just get joke time overwith....but...as i was crossing the packed floor...i kid you not...-_-.....a group of women rushed me and squealed and then proceeded to rip my shirt off:Oi cant tell you the rest of the story. heheheehat least the humiliation paid off!peacegeoff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:51 am

Apr 20, 2008, 9:58am, allends wrote:I just stumbled upon this video of one of my gigs back in 2004.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3t15RQ57-8My young friend, the tabla player, and I performed together at several Asian functions, but this one was the noisiest. Personally, I think this video is hilarious! I would really like to hear from the gigging musicians in this forum: Tell us about your most infamous gigs!BTW: The title of this thread comes from the "backdrop" in the video. LOL Let me know if you see the humor!-AllenWell, I don't have any gigs to speak of, and even though the crowd was noisy at yours, thanks for posting this link, Allen. I really enjoyed listening to it! You're very talented.

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 am

Apr 21, 2008, 4:17am, silvercord wrote:...a group of women rushed me and squealed and then proceeded to rip my shirt off:OHi Geoff,That's a great story!! The only time I ever got mobbed by chicks was back in 1974 when I played guitar in a '50s music band. I got the inspiration to hop down from the stage during my lead to "Johnny B. Good" then this wall of girls wearing bobby socks and poodle skirts came at me & tried to rip my shirt off. Alas, it was only a gag!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Thanks for the complement Chits! I really appreciate your support.-Allen

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Allen...the sock hop sounded fun~you must make the gag reality:)i live in my own real illusions every day;)remember!, primary reality is from withinsecondary reality is from without

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 am

Apr 21, 2008, 6:33pm, silvercord wrote:.... remember!, primary reality is from withinsecondary reality is from withoutGeoff,You're talking my language, Bro...

windowman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by windowman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 pm

I enjoyed that Allen, nice playing & the tabla is very cool- Too bad about the crowd. Maybe run the sitar through some Marshall stacks? That'll shut 'em up!I've had lots of horrible gigs over the years. Some very good ones too. The majority are probably somewhere in the middle. Forgettable, to say the least, which is why I don't do the live thing anymore. One of the last gigs I did ended up almost turning into a lawsuit, but instead turned into this song....http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ueCAUTION- EXTREME PROFANITY ALERT.There...that ought to keep the kiddies away.Wade

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Allen, I listened, then signed up for YouTube, and left a comment under your video. Funny how the audience noise just faded away after about 5 min. That percussionist was also really fantastic.But to see and hear you play, was a wonderful feeling! Thx for showing us the link.There are a couple of very entertaining older threads on this forum. I searched for the links and here they are. Add yours to them! If you're gonna add your story, maybe add it to those other threads, so we keep all these wonderful gigs in the same place!One entitled, Worst Gig Scenariohttp://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1854and other, Best Gig Scenariohttp://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1546

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:43 am

Apr 23, 2008, 9:26am, sgs4u wrote:Hi Allen, I listened, then signed up for YouTube, and left a comment under your video. Cool! I see that: Thanks!Apr 23, 2008, 9:26am, sgs4u wrote:Funny how the audience noise just faded away after about 5 min. That percussionist was also really fantastic.But to see and hear you play, was a wonderful feeling! Thx for showing us the link.It's really great to hear you say so, buddy! The tabla player, Shree, was just a little kid when we started playing in public, but today he's a big guy. He was fantastic when we started & he's still fantastic! BTW: The YouTube site is his page & I was surprised to see myself featured there - it's all good!Thanks for watching!-Allen