Six Month Update - New Member - Johnny

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Six Month Update - New Member - Johnny

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello again everyone,
I thought I would just check in. I am at my 1/2 way mark with my first year with Taxi.

I finally got around to developing My Taxi Profile (I don't know how to link to that page yet). I created a SoundCloud account today.

I did get a forward with a song called "You Can't Let Me Down" but no contact following the forward. Still happy to get a forward. I do most of my work alongside another Taxi Member (Jeff Morgan). So, he had a huge hand in the track.
Here is a link to that tune - https://soundcloud.com/johnny-rowing/yo ... et-me-down

The mistakes I am making:
  • I still don't have a schedule dedicated to music-making. So, I have periods of productivity followed by droughts.

I am probably working too hard on songs with lyrics and I need to work harder on developing my cue-writing.

I have to develop more of systematic process when recording. Even simple stuff like starting from a template depending upon the kind of song/cue.

And here is the big one - I want this so bad. But, because I want it so bad, I still carry some fear of failure. So, sometimes I avoid the work. It is - as if - trying and failing is somehow psychologically harder than not trying at all. It is completely a wrong approach but I am admitting it. So, I am trying to embrace failure more with the notion that the failures will help me to grow and get better - keep failing until you succeed kind of thing.

There are plenty of other things I am doing wrong but . . . good enough for now. Ha!

The good stuff:
  • Taxi is really help me to work with more focus than I ever have before.

I have learned that I really don't like working alone. So, I am reaching out to other musicians on a more consistent basis. I love when one idea becomes a new idea and then changes all over again when I am working with other people. I am really learning to not "own" ideas and see what happens when you work with other people - synergy.

I have learned so much about songwriting. I am learning new language/concepts that really help me to improve the craft of songwriting. For instance, I used to conceptualize songs around the V-C-V-C-Bridge-C-C structure. I wasn't really even aware of how songs usually have both a pre- and post-chorus too. :)

I am learning to write melodies that aren't quite as square and predictable. I am learning to try to end melodic phrases with different notes and not resolve each line back to the tonic. Similarly, I am trying to be intentional about embracing rhythmic surprises/variations in my top-lines too. Still lots of growth to be had here but loving this area of growth. Oh yeah, and I learned to word/concept of top-lining too. In truth, that is what I would really love to do. I love lyrics. :)

I have been practicing my instrument more too. I am intentionally focused on working on my finger-picking guitar skills and I am seeing growth there.

I am meeting with a group here in my local area about every 4-6 weeks and we are work-shopping each other's work. Matt Vander Boegh is the host of this event. So, without hyperbole, I can say that our time together has been life-changing. Or - at least - provided opportunities to make life-changes.

I don't participate on Discussion Boards anywhere. I have always been a lurker. :) However, I have been making an effort to check-in and post on the Taxi forums. So, I am proud that I am at least trying on these forums. It is outside my comfort zone.
Closing
  • With all of that said, I really appreciate the warm welcome that y'all gave me 6 months ago. I am excited to go to the 2018 Road Rally. I love seeing/reading your posts and have learned so much here on the forums. The "forwards" section - in particular - is inspiring. I should've posted there when I got my one forward. I will on the next one. Ha!
Here is hoping that the next 6 months will be fruitful for us all.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Six Month Update - New Member - Johnny

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

What a great update, Johnny! Very well thought out, and introspective. I really think the first year of a Taxi membership is all about learning, in all phases of the game. From learning what constitutes a good cue, or a good vocal song; to how to actually produce the suckers; to deciphering the listings; to understanding the business; etc, etc, etc.... But really, it's a great time to experiment and fail frequently. The best lessons in life - in my opinion - come from failing. And you've got a great attitude when it comes to this. Plus, you're open to critique and feedback, and you listen to suggestions without getting your hackles raised.

Your songwriting has improved immensely in the past year that we've been working together. With each new song you write, I can hear how you're incorporating all the lessons and taking great pains to make your music contemporary rather than safe. It's been great watching you grow.

Looking forward to seeing what the next six months brings you!

~~Matt

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks Matt. :)

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:32 am

Johnny

Good post....
The important thing is that you are in the Arena
This is where you get battered around a bit but it's also where you grow

Have fun along the way

Don

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Don. I like the Arena reference. So true and I am having lots of fun. :)

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Excellent post! I feel better about the whole process of analyzing where I need to improve to get to where I want to go. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kathy
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm

ScreamieBirds wrote:Excellent post! I feel better about the whole process of analyzing where I need to improve to get to where I want to go. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kathy
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for this response. Honestly posting here in the forums is a very difficult thing for me. And . . . this 6 month post felt borderline narcissistic. :) But . . . I read so many of the posts on here and they inspire me. So, i thought I would put myself out there a bit in the hopes that it might help/inspire/etc. another member.

So, thanks for the reply. I think we can do this! Just gotta learn, get better, and survive the bruises/failure (and a bunch of other things that we don't know yet - ha!)

:)

We are not in this alone.

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 am

I'm not much of a poster either. I've been pushing myself and fear I haven't always come across the way I intended. Nice to know we're not alone. :)

Kathy
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 pm

ScreamieBirds wrote:I'm not much of a poster either. I've been pushing myself and fear I haven't always come across the way I intended. Nice to know we're not alone. :)

Kathy
It is nice to know. :) Kindred spirits. :)

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:25 pm

A forward after 6 months! Wo! Congrats!

You're an example for the rest of us. Looking forward to the next update.

Be sure to come to the Road Rally if you can.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon