"skater-punk" - rejected. reasons?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

"skater-punk" - rejected. reasons?

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:07 am

hi folks,..this is the listing:****D080124ARALT ROCK/POP-PUNK/”SKATER” INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Music Supervisor for an Independent Feature Film. These songs will be featured during a scene that takes place in a Malibu skateboard shop. Think of a sonic vibe close to the soundtrack to the “X Games”. Musically, the style is open but should definitely be hip, modern and youthful. License fees are negotiable. Broadcast quality needed [excellent-sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI.******this is my track "winning team":http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=1..is was rejected. I thought that "winning team" sounds quite "skater"-like. why do you think it was rejected?I don't know the "X-games" (and couldn't find them), so if anybody know more about that, that'll be interesting, too.thanks for your opinion.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "skater-punk" - rejected. reasons?

Post by jh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:50 am

I think it´s a bit slow for punk rock, and the mix could be a little "edgier" IMHO. Other than that it´s on target methinks - JH

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:17 am

Hey there....my students bring me this music til the end of time.....First thought is....what jh said, could be 'edgier'...and faster....the guitars dirtier ...the lead guitar tone isn't right....also melody not so calculated...more almost crappy....use more noise...also speed up the fills so they're actually metronomically a little wrong..the drummers have a tendency to fall over themselves...use rolls and fast 16th leads to section changes....the band leads to section changes with the drummer....almost falling over themselves is the best way to describe it....the sound you have ...great as it is....is more rock....try listening to early Suicidal Tendencies or early Dr. Know...good luck...Vicky

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:23 am

Quote:Hey there....my students bring me this music til the end of time.....First thought is....what jh said, could be 'edgier'...and faster....the guitars dirtier ...the lead guitar tone isn't right....also melody not so calculated...more almost crappy....use more noise...also speed up the fills so they're actually metronomically a little wrong..the drummers have a tendency to fall over themselves...use rolls and fast 16th leads to section changes....the band leads to section changes with the drummer....almost falling over themselves is the best way to describe it....the sound you have ...great as it is....is more rock....try listening to early Suicidal Tendencies or early Dr. Know...good luck...VickyI think I know what you mean - I just need to drink some (..LOTS of..;)) booze before I play and everything will be fine... or, say, "punk" seriously, thanks for the point you've mentioned.cheers,martin

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 am

I had this one forwarded, if it helps:"Run For Your Life"http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=1This is more rock than punk...but it has the energy of the music that you would generally hear in an extreme-sports style competition.HTH!DanAlso, here's an article on the X-Games:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Games

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 am

Martin...I re- read the listing and since they say 'hip and modern" I'd speed up anything older that you listen to....guitar hasn't changed much, but tempo has....also drink alot....but get mad about something, too.....Vicky

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Drink a lot of something you don't like. that way you can get drunk and mad.

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 pm

took a listen...definitely kick it up a notch, but great recording

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:28 am

hey all,thanks for your replies & thanks dan for the sound file!I think I understand now what the listing was asking for / where my track lacks for this one.cheers,martin

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:39 am

Quote:Drink a lot of something you don't like. that way you can get drunk and mad.LOL!