Skip Form PA. Just SR? In a collection?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Skip Form PA. Just SR? In a collection?

Post by ggalen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:40 am

When I write a song, I record it in a simple fashion and copyright the sound recording listing myself as the author of the work, using Form SR.My understanding is that this will be good enough evidence that I wrote the song. As well as "this specific recording of the song".I read something on the Web today saying SR only copyrights the specific recording, not the song itself. What???Could someone who hears my song create a sheet music version and register it with Form PA and get the copyright on the song itself??I find it hard to believe a court would believe a later-dated PA copyright of the music and lyrics.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Skip Form PA. Just SR? IN a collection?

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:46 pm

It is absolutely NOT true that you can't copyright all of- music, lyrics, and sound recording on an SR form. If you made a recording of a new song you intend to pitch to film/TV, you can cover it all on one form. I've done this many times and even discussed it with someone from the copyright office.You can do more than one as a collection. I believe (not 100% sure) you have to be copyrighting the same things for each - music, lyrics, and sound recording- no mix and match.Also, you can only use collections when the authors are the same for each item in the collection. That I know. (e.g. you can't have 5 songs you wrote alone and one with a co-writer)...When you fill out an SR form to copyright everything, make sure you indicate in the appropriate place that you are copyrighting music, lyrics, and sound recording. It's been a while- I forget the form. I have some past ones I did on file here so if anyone wants me to look up how they are filled out, drop me a note. Casey

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Skip Form PA. Just SR? IN a collection?

Post by ggalen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Casey,Thanks for sharing your experience.Yes, I also do a bunch at a time as a collection.Now that you can upload MP3s to the Library of Congress as "deposits" to an online Form SR (as many as you can cram into a 30 minute connection time!) it is a lot more cost effective for the $35 fee!I like that.

telaak
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Skip Form PA. Just SR? In a collection?

Post by telaak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:18 am

I've been using SR the same way as Casey described for almost 20 years ~ def the way to go - the online registration is way cool and has a fantastic feature that allows you to add to your collection for up to 45 days w/no extra fee ~ seems inspiration always seems to strike right after you file..the 45 day thing has already saved me one filing fee

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 am

Jun 8, 2009, 7:18am, telaak wrote:I've been using SR the same way as Casey described for almost 20 years ~ def the way to go - the online registration is way cool and has a fantastic feature that allows you to add to your collection for up to 45 days w/no extra fee ~ seems inspiration always seems to strike right after you file..the 45 day thing has already saved me one filing fee Wow, I didn't know that!You just saved me $35. Thanks!

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 am

I called the copyright office years ago and was told to always indicate "words and music" in the blank line as to what I was filing for. Been doing it ever since. Galen - I also began doing it your way a few years back - sending in a rough demo to simply claim the song as mine. However I do fully fleshed out productions later, before pitching anything - assuming I'm still protected. You do this also? Think were good? I mean come on the court case would read Galen VS Galen or Yamsek VS Yamsek.... I figure I'm safe. Chris

kdajani83

Post by kdajani83 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 am

I was always told the PR form is the one you need. What do you lose not doing an SR?

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 am

Jun 11, 2009, 12:03pm, kdajani83 wrote:I was always told the PR form is the one you need. What do you lose not doing an SR?Lots and lots of $$. In fact, with an SR form, you can send multiple CDs, as many songs as you've written in your life!You might have a hard time fitting all the "alternate titles" on the form for each song, and you'll have to come up with a main title called "My Sweet Suite" or something like that! Ern

kdajani83

Post by kdajani83 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 am

Sweet. I am glad I caught this post. I just did the registrations for a bunch of my work.Thanks peeps!

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:41 pm

yammer,I don't plan on submitting another version for copyright with full production. If someone infringes on your copyright and you bring a lawsuit, the court is going to listen to the rough demo to decide if that's your song.Seems like it just needs to convey the melody and chords, and lyrics if there are any, well enough to show how the song goes without any confusion.I'm sure today's recordings are far superior to recordings submitted on cassette with just a piano and voice, for example, in the 1960s.