Small tweak required according to return feedback

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SoundCanvasUK

Small tweak required according to return feedback

Post by SoundCanvasUK » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:04 am

Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to taxi - still in my first year of membership. I have had a mix of forwards and returns. I have a question I'm intrigued by but can't find the answer to on the forums etc - if there are existing answers to this I'd be grateful for a pointer....

I've had a few returns where there has been a suggestion for improvement that is relatively easy to change, and seems to be the only thing standing in the way of the track being elevated to a forward. However as I understand things, once the deadline is past, there is no way to 'resubmit' the same track to the same listing.

Knowing that often composing is rather an iterative process of improvement, the feedback is very helpful and can be applied next time a similar track is submitted. But at times it seems paradoxical to receive recommendations for improvement with a critique that comes after the deadline.

So it crossed my mind - is there a way of resubmitting and is the 'I think you could improve this song by' column designed to in some way resubmit?

A related question comes to mind also. So far I've mainly submitted just before the deadline. If one was to submit, say, a week before the deadline, is it conceivable that the critique / feedback could arrive before the deadline and hence leave a day or two for resubmission if only a minor change was needed?

Thanks for any guidance :)
Simon

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Small tweak required according to return feedback

Post by AlanHall » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:20 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:24 pm
Generally, if the listing is for a genre that is not often requested (e.g. medieval instrumentals, calliope music, etc.), one is screwed after a return even if it was close and the feedback can be acted on easily.
I know! I've been working so hard on my lute sonatas since that return... when was that? 1765? :lol:

What heartens me - as a newbie myself - is 1) finding that listings for those oh-so-close-to-being-forwarded swamp rock cues (for example) seem to come around every few months, and also 2) once I make contact with a library, I should have excellent chances to find a home for the now-fixed returns that haven't had a forward (or opportunity for a forward!)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:48 pm

It's a one shot deal unfortunately, but with any luck a similar listing will pop up at some point.

SoundCanvasUK

Post by SoundCanvasUK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:40 am

Ok thanks everyone, understood. Even more incentive to nail the brief I guess :)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:00 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:20 am
AlanHall wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:20 pm
I know! I've been working so hard on my lute sonatas since that return... when was that? 1765? :lol:
Yes, there was a medieval listing 2.5 years ago. Yes, I submitted something and it was returned. Still one of my better pieces I think. And pretty medieval. But my live horn playing sounded "emulated".
Sounds interesting (not the 'emulated' part). Do you have that track posted somewhere?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:42 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm
AlanHall wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:00 pm
Sounds interesting (not the 'emulated' part). Do you have that track posted somewhere?
I even played the flute on this. :) For that I had 2.5 years less of a clue than now, I still like it.

Very nice, Tom! I can definitely see some townsfolk gathered round the yule fire as this plays :) Thanks for letting us share in that!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm
I even played the flute on this. :) For that I had 2.5 years less of a clue than now, I still like it.

More authentic sounding than your other stuff Tom, unfortunately I suspect it's a very small niche but there's nothing stopping you making 10 of them and pitching to Libraries..maybe the niche is the thing to aim for than the popular stuff that everyone one else is killing ?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am

CTWF wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am
Apart from that, I feel I am constantly developing. Even my apparently not so great recent attempt at Pop feels mix- and percussion-wise better than most things I have produced before.
Well that's good news

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:56 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am
Well that's good news
My day was rough, too.
Oh dear

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:42 am

Hi Simon,
Good to see another fellow Brit here.

Back to the original question.....

As has been said, this is largely a one-shot process, so you can't re-submit for the same listing. Getting feedback ahead of the deadline would be nice in theory, but would mean your track would have to be screened again (or maybe more times if you keep tweaking). No doubt that would make the whole process more complicated and costly, and almost impossible to manage.

After the deadline, if you followed the feedback advice on how to tweak a track then you might have a better chance of having it forwarded if you submitted it for a similar listing in future. You could always send your track to a library yourself though and see what they say. Better still, make several more like it using a similar formula and submit the whole batch. I hope you do that and get some success from it.

Best of luck,
Graham.
(Despite all Government claims of supporting the so called 'Northern Powerhouse', its still grim up north :))
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.