SMOOTH JAZZ / DISPATCH / RETURNED ???

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

SMOOTH JAZZ / DISPATCH / RETURNED ???

Post by jay10music » Wed May 21, 2008 12:57 am

Hi Guy's......Just finished tracks for SMOOTH JAZZ for... Malls, Restraunts..ect...http://www.taximusic.com/listings_popup ... 21JZPlease listen & see if you guy's think they are to aggressive for malls, etc.or are they right for the listing.......R-MAN Thanks.....Roadrunner 422 http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SMOOTH JAZZ / Critique please

Post by stevebarden » Wed May 21, 2008 7:45 am

Roadrunner, these are excellent compositions! The improvisational solos are well constructed. The overall feel of the bossa/latin style works well in the smooth jazz category.I have only two criticisms. In the first tune, Bossa Brazil, the harmon muted trumpet sounds the least realistic of any of your instruments. Perhaps choosing a flute solo in place of it would work better anyway.The second suggestion is on the guitar solo. Speaking as a guitarist I found the solo to be rather stiff and without much phrasing. I would tend to play the lines with some leading slides into the notes and even possibly a few trilled notes (think Gypsy Kings).In contrast, the guitar solo in the second piece, Summer Island, works well because you break up the single note line with double-stops.Awesome work overall!Steve

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SMOOTH JAZZ / Critique please

Post by jay10music » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 am

Thanks Steve.....For taking the time to reply...You know I think you have a point with the guitar phrazing... It askes for simple melodic melody, and I tend to try and hold back cause I don't want to be busy and not be melodic, if you know what I mean...I guess It shows...I had someone else tell me that about the first piece Bossa Brazil, when I pitched it for a different listing...I'm gonna have to do better...Thanks again for your input.......R-man 422

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SMOOTH JAZZ / DISPATCH / RETURNED ???

Post by suzdoyle » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:28 pm

<<<<<:) Hi Guy's......Just finished tracks for SMOOTH JAZZ for... Malls, Restraunts..ect...http://www.taximusic.com/listings_popup ... =D080521JZ >>Hi R Man;I like both of these songs. I think they may have not suited the listing because they are fairly upbeat and bright feeling - with the percussion fairly dominant --, whereas smooth jazz generally tends to have a darker, almost ambient feel with the mellower instruments leading more. However, I think the songs would work well for other listings!I'm still learninghow to figure out which songs of mine best fit a listing. One thing that seems to help is that I imagine a scene/ setting in which the song would be heard. E.g. Smooth jazz = dark night on a stage, mellow, calm. Quirky cartoon = bright circusy, busy active. etc.Your two songs evoke images of daytime beaches, chilling on a beach, etc., so they might work best for listings calling for that style of song. Oh, and BTW, how did you do the nifty link to the popup of the particular listing?Thanks!Suz